BUILT
The Wade
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1105 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 2BR + den, junior 1BR, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Wade is a two-building, 102-unit mixed-use condominium and ground floor commercial development spanning th... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Wade on Citified.ca
Photo

The Wade | Condos; commercial | 5 and 4-storeys | Completed - built in 2021

• Please log in to reply
2514 replies to this topic

#2421 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 06:06 PM

It gets problematic when stuff outside the door grows like a cancer. I've seen people put doormats outside their suite. Next thing you know there's five pairs of dirty old shoes and boots beside the door along with an umbrella stand and vase of fake flowers bolted to the wall.

• m3m likes this

#2422 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,553 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 07:25 PM

Obtain approval before altering common property
6 (1)An owner must obtain the written approval of the strata corporation before making an alteration to common property, including limited common property, or common assets.

That's from the standard bylaws.

If someone asks to build a duck pond in the lobby, does the strata council really have to say anything other than "no". Typically if a reason provided then people will proceed to argue about the reason.

But a duck pond isn’t quite like a keypad lock, though. It’s certainly less visually introduce than a balcony with a bunch of stuff on it, I think.

There is also the intricacy of the definitive placement of an object and whether it’s actually part of LCP or CP, as sebberry mentioned.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2423 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 July 2021 - 07:50 PM

Just get a bluetooth one that includes a normal key lock. Use your phone to unlock it. Find one that looks as close to your current lock as you can: https://www.amazon.c...ooth door locks

#2424 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 08:26 PM

The joy of condo life for all. 

• Redd42 likes this

#2425 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 July 2021 - 08:54 PM

It gets problematic when stuff outside the door grows like a cancer. I've seen people put doormats outside their suite. Next thing you know there's five pairs of dirty old shoes and boots beside the door along with an umbrella stand and vase of fake flowers bolted to the wall.

There's a door down the hall that's covered in magnetic decorative butterflies, and they like to put a Christmas or Halloween decoration out.  They're the first to complain when someone's curtain doesn't look right though.

The joy of condo life for all.

Never in my life did I imagine that such a miserable, selfish, ignorant pack of busybodies would have so much control over the terms by which I get to live my life.  The only reason to live in a strata is because you can't afford the alternative.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2426 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 11:47 PM

Early in my working career, I had a boss who went by the premise of do what you want to do, don't ask permission. Has served me well. Change the damn lock, don't ask the strata, they likely will never know or care. And if they do, just shrug and say you didn't think it would be a problem.

• Matt R. likes this

#2427 CitoyenduMonde

CitoyenduMonde
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 12:24 AM

I used to live in Italy and every door in the condos that I lived in had their own locks, many having multiple locks; there were also many different styles of doors as most people felt the need for armored doors and it really made the building look very ghetto. I experienced the same thing in NYC. I would not feel that it is appropriate to allow everyone to select their own style of lock as I feel it will have a negative impact on the image of the building with only a very minimal upside for the individual unit owners.

#2428 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 05:24 AM

I have to confess that after renting for about eight months in a condo building ,while housing hunting, I quickly came to the conclusion that living in a hive was not for me. Much happier hiding behind my stone wall in Rockland. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2429 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 07:19 AM

Someone will have to let that guy who is always letting people in and out of his apartment he has to remove the keypad lock!
There are lots of smart locks that do not change the exterior are are only on the inside, could be neat.

#2430 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 July 2021 - 07:22 AM

IMO, as long as the lock is the same colour and generally in keeping with the design of the remaining remaining hardware, nobody will take notice.

• Redd42 likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#2431 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 08:27 AM

IMO, as long as the lock is the same colour and generally in keeping with the design of the remaining remaining hardware, nobody will take notice.

This is in keeping with the just go ahead and do it theory. No asking.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2432 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:07 AM

For the strata, the problem with many of these unauthorized changes is that eventually the strata will be in charge of fixing them.

In our building someone drilled into the building envelope to attach their trellis on their deck. Another unit drilled into the balcony railings to attach a shelf at the very top of the railing. That was also a clear safety issue for items being pushed over the edge. Both cases required hiring an expert to check out the damage

When the unit is sold the new owners complain to the strata and then the strata has to pay to fix the damage. If you move into a unit with an unusual door lock, you'd be within your rights to ask the strata to restore it to the original. Good luck finding the parts.

#2433 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:21 AM

My house may be over a hundred but at least I can do want I want. 

• sebberry likes this

#2434 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:32 AM

And you don't have neighbors actively campaigning against maintenance and repairs.

#2435 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 10:34 AM

I assume you mean the house is over a hundred years old? Mine too. 

Speaking of locks, before I came to Victoria, I lived in an old house in S Ont. My door key was a skeleton key. Not very secure.

#2436 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 09:02 PM

I think someone here posted that the oven and gas range were one unit and that the oven was gas, turns out it’s electric! The fortis guy came to check a gas leak and said the oven was definitely electric. No gas leak, all’s good. Probably just all the eggs we keep lying around (jk)

#2437 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 05:50 AM

Moxuz : You need a Fortis guy to tell you whether your oven is electric???? Sigh. Hope you are enjoying your new condo, any regrets or surprises yet?

• Moxuz likes this

#2438 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 08:19 AM

Moxuz : You need a Fortis guy to tell you whether your oven is electric???? Sigh. Hope you are enjoying your new condo, any regrets or surprises yet?

Haha - I knew there was the coils at the top of it so doesn’t surprise me, but saw someone here said it was gas 😂
Fortis guy coming was unrelated!!
Condo is great! one issue waiting for developer to fix,
He’s very unresponsive, otherwise everything seems good

Edited by Moxuz, 02 August 2021 - 08:20 AM.

#2439 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,036 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 01:42 PM

Can you honestly look inside your microwave oven then tell us if it’s powered by gamma rays or enriched plutonium?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 August 2021 - 01:42 PM.

#2440 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:34 PM

Can you honestly look inside your microwave oven then tell us if it’s powered by gamma rays or enriched plutonium?

I can tell you it's not powered by gas.

• Greg likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users