BUILT
The Wade
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1105 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 2BR + den, junior 1BR, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Wade is a two-building, 102-unit mixed-use condominium and ground floor commercial development spanning th... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Wade on Citified.ca
Photo

The Wade | Condos; commercial | 5 and 4-storeys | Completed - built in 2021

• Please log in to reply
2514 replies to this topic

#981 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:02 AM

what's the big deal.  at best people have 10 or 15% down and their equity in the unit has grown lots leading up to completion.

aren't most buyers sophisticated enough to just go with the flow?  it's not like anyone is homeless.  and everyone is making lots of money.  delays happen.

if you are somehow agonizing over the $50,000 you put down you really ought not to be in the pre-construction buying market.  just buy complete, new or used.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 August 2020 - 06:04 AM.

#982 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:06 AM

Construction started in April of 2018, so it’s been just over two years. As we also know the excavation was delayed when the water main broke and flooded the excavation pit.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#983 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:12 AM

As we also know the excavation was delayed when the water main broke and flooded the excavation pit.

...and miraculously didn't kill any pedestrians and amazingly and fortuitously did not trigger a WorkSafe investigation into the collapse.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#984 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:15 AM

Do we know for sure Work Safe did not take a gander at the site? If it was determined to have been a water main rupture, I’m not sure what Work Safe could have done. Water mains break all the time.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#985 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:17 AM

The fact the main broke following the extensive excavation right next to it was a pure co-incidence I'm sure...

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#986 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:19 AM

It was, according to investigators. Are you saying there’s now a conspiracy regarding the City’s water main rupture that they took responsibility for?

Know it all.

#987 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:24 AM

The fact the main broke following the extensive excavation right next to it was a pure co-incidence I'm sure...

it might be reasonable to suggest a bad pipe is sometimes being held together partly by the force of the earth around it.  but that pipe is defective if it fails when that earth pressure is removed or lessened.  so it's still a bad pipe even if other excavation actions lead to the failure.  it's still not the excavator's fault.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 August 2020 - 06:24 AM.

#988 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:33 AM

I won't say a conspiracy. For unknown reasons, this collapse did not catch WorkSafe's attention like the Falls sidewalk collapse did. I realize water mains break all the time and there's nothing obvious to indicate the Wade excavation cause the main to break. But only a proper investigation would have uncovered,

• Were all excavation procedures followed?
  • Was the site regularly inspected by the geotechnical firm? When last?
  • Did crews know a water main was there?
  • Were any protective measures taken knowing that mains are fragile?
  • Did crews notice any warning signs--slumping sidewalk, water leaks prior to the collapse?

We will never know the answers to those and many other questions. You will recall with The Falls collapse that Ryzuk Geotechnical and Laser Projects both failed to take adequate measures to prevent the collapse.

#989 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:35 AM

The excavators did everything by the book, and yes, it was likely to have been an already compromised pipe that gave way when pressure was removed.

This is why infrastructure maintenance and upgrades are so critical, but we’ve been neglecting to keep pace with necessary replacements.
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#990 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:35 AM

^ ^ pretty sure crews would know a water main was there at the very least.

i'm not a pipe expert.  but i am an expert scale modeler.

i'll recreate the wade site in 1/110th scale using a mcdonalds drinking straw to represent the pipe.  results by 3pm today.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 August 2020 - 06:40 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#991 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:37 AM

How does Rob know a “proper” investigation never happened? Work safe is not the only investigative body.

Know it all.

#992 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:39 AM

I checked the WorkSafe investigation list a while ago and didn't see anything. I'm  not beating up on The Wade, a project I like, I just can't reconcile why one potentially deadly collapse gets an investigation and another is forgotten. 

#993 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:42 AM

It wasn’t forgotten, it just wouldn’t have been WorkSafe’s jurisdiction to investigate if another investigative body took over and WorkSafe relied on their report, and didn’t create their own. I’m just speculating as I don’t know, but the City of Victoria can’t just cover up a rupture like that and the proper assessments would have been undertaken.

Know it all.

#994 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:42 AM

The excavators did everything by the book,

How do you know that for sure when The Falls crews clearly didn't? Ryzuk and Laser are by no means fly-by-night companies. They are among the best in their field.

#995 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:44 AM

I’d do some digging on Laser if that’s what you believe.

Know it all.

#996 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:44 AM

we've likely got some known unknowns here.

• Rob Randall likes this

#997 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:45 AM

Also, the Falls situation was not the same as the Wade situation. Two completely different incidents.

Know it all.

#998 Banksy

Banksy
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:51 AM

Not this again you guys. How many times will the water main problem be talked about you're just repeating yourselves.

And Cityendumonde I get you are frustrated but it is what it is no point in getting worked up. The north side is getting occupancy sooner because the building was already built they just had to restore it which means it was possible to finish it faster and so be it.

#999 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:57 AM

Also, the Falls situation was not the same as the Wade situation. Two completely different incidents.

plus the falls was meant to have water flowing over it.  wade wasn't.  but got it anyway.

#1000 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 07:07 AM

Not this again you guys. How many times will the water main problem be talked about you're just repeating yourselves.

If there was no repetition this forum would have run out of gas in 2012.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)