BUILT
The Wade
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1105 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 2BR + den, junior 1BR, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Wade is a two-building, 102-unit mixed-use condominium and ground floor commercial development spanning th... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Wade on Citified.ca
Photo

The Wade | Condos; commercial | 5 and 4-storeys | Completed - built in 2021

• Please log in to reply
2514 replies to this topic

#2381 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 07:41 AM

The escape plan is to funnel people out through the emergency exits. In an earthquake window or not, if it’s a big one it’ll be a challenge. But the good thing is these buildings are constructed to structurally withstand major tremors enough to get people out through the exits, but the structure may no longer be habitable afterwards.

We always check the Victoria earthquake hazard zone map before buying a house/condo.  Most part of Wade are sitting on top of bedrock.  See: 

#2382 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 07:43 AM

victoria earthquake.jpg  

• Mike K. likes this

#2383 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 June 2021 - 08:22 AM

We always check the Victoria earthquake hazard zone map before buying a house/condo.  Most part of Wade are sitting on top of bedrock.  See: 

Great.  Adding this to my condo shopping checklist just ruled out even more buildings.  I think I'm down to like 3 suitable buildings now? :D

• Moxuz likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2384 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 June 2021 - 09:13 AM

You're way too picky. You can have affordable, roomy, and your other wishlist stuff, but not all at the same time... at least not in Victoria.

Edited by lanforod, 29 June 2021 - 09:14 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#2385 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 June 2021 - 09:22 AM

You're way too picky. You can have affordable, roomy, and your other wishlist stuff, but not all at the same time... at least not in Victoria.

My place gives me everything I want in a location I'm quite happy with.  The only exception is an idiotic strata and the pet restrictions.  

Seriously, I'm not looking for amenities, features or a floorplan I don't already have.  Is it really a big ask to have some storage in a place?  The only reason we can't have anything nice in Victoria is because people settle for mediocrity.  Let's give everyone in the building access to a room full of cheap wire cages so you can store thousands of dollars worth of valuables.  What a joke. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2386 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 09:25 AM

I operate my entire wire cage parts and supply business out of my storage locker.

it’s great!
  • Rob Randall, Matt R., lanforod and 1 other like this

#2387 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 09:30 AM

My place gives me everything I want in a location I'm quite happy with.  The only exception is an idiotic strata and the pet restrictions.  

Seriously, I'm not looking for amenities, features or a floorplan I don't already have.  Is it really a big ask to have some storage in a place?  The only reason we can't have anything nice in Victoria is because people settle for mediocrity.  Let's give everyone in the building access to a room full of cheap wire cages so you can store thousands of dollars worth of valuables.  What a joke. 

Funny, my son suggested to put cardboard around (inside of the wire) or tarp over (inside of the wire) for the storage space. 

• Moxuz likes this

#2388 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 12:50 PM

A simple (perhaps silly as we never lived in a steel and concrete building before) question: 

Do they have wood studs behind the drywalls in Wade?  If not, how do you put the towel hanger, hooks for heavy pictures, etc, (use anchor in drywall)?   TIA.  

#2389 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 12:54 PM

there is probably some wood, some steel studs.

but yes use a decent drywall anchor.  i like the one on the left but the white one is usually quite effective.  i'd skip the right two except maybe for light photos.

2017-07-26_0010.jpg?height=200p&trim=2,2

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 July 2021 - 12:57 PM.

• freedom_2008 likes this

#2390 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 01:08 PM

There are wall hangers for pictures that don't need anchors or studs. It's a nail and a hook, and the hook distributes the weight onto the wall itself away from the nail, no drilling required.

http://picturehanger...lue-boxes/55075

• Mike K. and freedom_2008 like this

#2391 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 03:51 PM

:
Do they have wood studs behind the drywalls in Wade? If not, how do you put the towel hanger, hooks for heavy pictures, etc, (use anchor in drywall)? TIA.

It's metal studs, at least in the South Building. I believe small amounts of wood were placed between studs only to support certain things such as the floating vanities. We paid to have plywood installed over the metal studs during construction phase. Check in with David P, he might have a suggestion or idea to help.

Edited by kitty surprise, 06 July 2021 - 03:54 PM.

#2392 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 04:40 PM

It could be worse the guy who built my house got a deal on surplus oak from the navy and a lot of the framing is actually oak which means I have to predrill everything.

#2393 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 05:55 PM

Back in 1920 when he built your house, what would he have paid for surplus oak? Six cents for a 2x4?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2394 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 06:13 PM

Mike: Maybe even less since the navy had decided not to repair its wooden sailing ships at that point. But super cheap.

• Mike K. likes this

#2395 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 06:35 PM

Surplus navy oak? When was this, 1832?

Anchors into studs are only necessary for large heavy mirrors. Nail and hook is so much easier, especially if you decide that picture would look better two inches over. If you have a long, horizontal piece that is awkward to use with picture wire I recommend Wallbuddies because you can hang your art or mirror and you don't have to have the hook exactly level, it has an angled sawtooth so you can adjust it if it's a little off. Otherwise it's a huge pain to get two anchors exactly parallel, even if it off an eighth of an inch you'll notice.

• Mike K., Nparker, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#2396 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 06:41 PM

I understand it was finally sold off in 1896 from the stockpiles. I am going on what a historian for Craigdarreck was able to tell me.

#2397 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 July 2021 - 04:19 PM

I started just using command strips with Velcro for most of my stuff, most of them can carry close to 20 pounds so there’s not much issue and I can move things easily

#2398 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 01:05 PM

Anyone in the AGM or otherwise know what’s happening with the gym?

#2399 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 09:27 PM

Better builders install plywood backer boards in washrooms where towel racks, floating vanities, shower enclosure mounting points, etc., are to be affixed. Otherwise, it's just steel studs and drywall, unless you are unlucky and mounting something on a structural wall with reinforced concrete immediately behind!

#2400 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 07:19 PM

Better builders install plywood backer boards in washrooms where towel racks, floating vanities, shower enclosure mounting points, etc., are to be affixed. Otherwise, it's just steel studs and drywall, unless you are unlucky and mounting something on a structural wall with reinforced concrete immediately behind!

I can loan you my hammer drill.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users