Photo

Courthouse Lands Reconstruction

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#141 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 11:18 PM

I read that the afghanistan war monument will be placed here which I think is very nice.

I agree, it's very fitting that a memorial has been made.  

Interesting that they chose to place it in this particular park rather than locations with other significant memorials (the back lawn of the legislature comes to mind, or the front lawn for that matter).  Perhaps there is a wish to distribute items such as these more even-handedly throughout the community, as a type of place-making, rather than concentrating them.

http://www.vicnews.c...ghanistan-vets/

“Members of the public were given a sneak peek of a new memorial created to honour Canadian soldiers who fought in Afghanistan from 2001 to 2014.”

“The 20,000-pound, six-foot-high granite memorial .......”

“The memorial..... will live outside the Bay Street Armoury until the end of the September when it will be erected at its permanent home at the corner of Quadra and Courtney streets, across from Christ Church Cathedral.”

Attached Images

• memorial.jpg
  • memorial2.jpg

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#142 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:27 PM

The Ministry of Citizens’ Services said $1.7 million was spent on garbage cleanup, water and hydro, fencing and security; $501,000 on remediating the site; $190,000 on security after the camp closed; $300,000 on landscaping; $68,000 on the new playground (which received $230,000 from donors)  http://www.timescolo...n-up-1.21572945

#143 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:13 PM

Glad Christy and her free   spending Government are gone...What a waste

I bet her friends were involved in this . Local companies could have done it for less

#144 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:52 AM

Glad Christy and her free   spending Government are gone...What a waste

I bet her friends were involved in this . Local companies could have done it for less

The work was done by local companies, HB.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#145 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:26 AM

I noticed a tree company was there for several hours yesterday but I'm not sure what they did. There was a lot of sawdust out on the road they were cleaning up at about 1 PM.

#146 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:28 AM

I think that it could have been done at a lower cost sometimes massive amounts of public monies are spent doing things that may be able to be done at a much lower cost. The park looks great now but i think that with all the publicity around it no expense was spared.

#147 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:52 AM

I noticed a tree company was there for several hours yesterday but I'm not sure what they did. There was a lot of sawdust out on the road they were cleaning up at about 1 PM.

Sounds like they were pruning something.

I'm just happy there's a sign there prohibiting camping.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#148 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:42 PM

“Members of the public were given a sneak peek of a new memorial created to honour Canadian soldiers who fought in Afghanistan from 2001 to 2014.”

“The 20,000-pound, six-foot-high granite memorial .......”

“The memorial..... will live outside the Bay Street Armoury until the end of the September when it will be erected at its permanent home at the corner of Quadra and Courtney streets, across from Christ Church Cathedral.”

The dedication of the Afghanistan Memorial will be tomorrow  (Saturday), northeast corner of the new playground/park, corner of Courtney and Quadra Streets.

https://vicafghanist...orial-Pgm-D.pdf

and

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...eveal-1.4314308

Attached Images

• afghanistan.jpg

• Nparker, Love the rock and pennymurphy2000 like this

#149 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:57 AM

correct, but the work was handed out with no public bidding process

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users