Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 1222-1280 Douglas Street

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#41 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:48 AM

One of the challenges in a downtown Chapters relocation is the lack of suitable retail space in the core that would be large enough to accommodate an Indigo/Chapters box store.  The company itself is doing fine financially, and they are even moving into the US.  But there just aren't any vacancies/openings for large-format retail.

I predict that the company will open a small-format "Indigo Spirit" location downtown whilst moving the Chapters/Indigo full-size store to Mayfair.

#42 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 11:02 PM

So is Chapters officially closed now? A Victoria Buzz article from yesterday says that it was to shut its doors "this Sunday", which I guess means today. Has there been any word on whether Shoppers is still moving in from next door and what the future of this block will be? I have mixed feelings as I'll miss Chapters (as much as I prefer Russell's and Munro's) but am eager to see how redevelopment of the block plays out. 

http://www.victoriab...on-this-sunday/

#43 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:06 AM

So is Chapters officially closed now? A Victoria Buzz article from yesterday says that it was to shut its doors "this Sunday", which I guess means today. Has there been any word on whether Shoppers is still moving in from next door and what the future of this block will be? I have mixed feelings as I'll miss Chapters (as much as I prefer Russell's and Munro's) but am eager to see how redevelopment of the block plays out. 

http://www.victoriab...on-this-sunday/

The Indigo website has not been updated to reflect the closure, but the Chapters Victoria Facebook page states that their last day open was yesterday

Regarding redevelopment, I see that the zone permits up to 43.0 m height at a 3:1 FSR, but only up to 1:1 FSR for any office component

Edited by Jackerbie, 10 September 2018 - 09:10 AM.

#44 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:36 AM

Shoppers-Drug-Mart's-opening-in-former-Chapters-space-set-for-early-May.jpg
Shoppers Drug Mart's transition into a larger retail location adjacent to its current downtown Victoria store is nearly complete. The general goods, pharmacy and grocery retailer has occupied a multi-level space at 1212 Douglas Street that served as a Chapters bookstore between 1997 and 2018.

Shoppers Drug Mart's opening in former Chapters space scheduled for early May
https://victoria.cit...-for-early-may/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#45 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:46 AM

I truly hope this means the redevelopment of the next door property.
  • jonny likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#46 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:53 AM

I can't say I am "wildly enthusiastic" (to quote a certain local politician) about the relocation of Shoppers to the former Chapters space. I mean it's nice, but it doesn't really change the retail landscape downtown significantly. Until I hear about a confirmed and exciting redevelopment of the old Shoppers space (not just an interior remodel and an exterior face lift), I am giving this a 6/10 on the Vibrant scale.

#47 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:03 AM

I think this is going to be a massive improvement, to be honest. That old Shopper's store was pretty drab and cramped. I imagine the number of products available in the new store will be dramatically higher.

And yes, the old location needs to be demo'd and rebuilt as a midrise along with the corner building, but since it's on Douglas I'm not optimistic.

#48 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:30 AM

...the old location needs to be demo'd and rebuilt as a midrise along with the corner building, but since it's on Douglas I'm not optimistic.

It'll probably be an empty space for several years at least, until a disappointing and under-scaled proposal comes along.

• jonny likes this

#49 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 02 October 2019 - 11:49 AM

I truly hope this means the redevelopment of the next door property.

It'll probably be an empty space for several years at least, until a disappointing and under-scaled proposal comes along.

Unfortunately CoV doesn't post Development Permits without variances on the Dev Tracker, but a DP for exterior renovations to 1222 Douglas Street was submitted in May. No idea who is involved, the DP folder is light on details.

#50 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 12:11 PM

...a DP for exterior renovations to 1222 Douglas Street was submitted in May...

Zzzzz.

#51 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:42 AM

Found this rendering floating around.... also, a BP has been issued to strip-out both floors of 1222 Douglas Street (former Shoppers) and there's an application in process for 1280 Douglas Street. No BP for tenant improvements yet.

Capture.PNG

CBRE leasing brochure: https://sl2-prod.s3.....pdf?1552417187

• Rob Randall, Kapten Kapsell and Brantastic like this

#52 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:47 AM

It’s clearly an apple store and/or ikea
  • Nparker and m3m like this

#53 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:49 AM

It looks like the architect is trying to evoke some of what was lost on 1222 Douglas. Notice the arched window details behind the screen on the upper storey.

1280 Douglas can be seen in this archive photo

Capture.PNG

#54 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:51 AM

It’s clearly an apple store and/or ikea

You may be joking, but the ground floor does look very Apple Store. Start the rumours!

#55 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:02 AM

The link says "interior and exterior renovations planned for the summer of 2019"

#56 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:04 AM

You may be joking, but the ground floor does look very Apple Store. Start the rumours!

Apple stores lax approach to loss prevention combined with that location would be a disaster

#57 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:06 AM

I dunno...that clearly looks like a Costco to me. I can practically smell the hot dogs and cardboard boxes.

#58 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:07 AM

I dunno...that clearly looks like a Costco to me. I can practically smell the hot dogs and cardboard boxes.

Too small for a Costco, clearly a new Walmart Supercenter

#59 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,781 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:32 AM

And yet these visuals still propose something shorter than what was historically on this site. Oh Victoria, you have a long way to go.

#60 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:34 AM

I can't even put into words how disappointed and dismayed I would be if something like that is actually being proposed and if something like that actually has even the slimmest chance of getting approved by the CoV.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users