189 replies to this topic

#181 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 32,628 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 06:13 AM

Capital Daily:

North Saanich adds EV stations and pickleball security

At the June 20 regular council meeting, staff presented a report on the CRD-led regional public electric vehicle (EV) charging network grant application and its two suggested EV charging stations at Patricia Bay Park. After Coun. Stock raised the concern that the Patricia Bay parking lot is always full, council still voted to authorize the charging stations but with an amendment that allows for having them at other locations.

Security hired to close pickleball courts at day’s end

Staff also presented a report on pickleball, where they suggested that North Saanich hire a security firm (at an estimated $3K in 2022) to close the courts at the end of each day in the summer, in efforts to mitigate the sport’s noise.

Coun. Jack McClintock raised concerns that it might be difficult for guards to stop players during their game, saying "I guess we just have to wait and see whether or not it’s accepted by the pickleball community." He added that he’d rather see the courts policed by the pickleball community rather than taxpayers, and is disappointed they haven’t stepped up to enforce this. All councillors voted in favour of hiring the security firm.

Fisticuffs feared over pickleball on tennis courts

(Central Saanich) Council will also receive no fewer than 10 pieces of correspondence both in favour and against pickleball players’ use of tennis courts. Signage was recently removed from the Centennial Tennis Courts, which had prohibited pickleballers from the courts. That has aroused fears of potential "fisticuffs" in the words of one resident, with many agreeing the two sports are not compatible. Pickleball-vs-tennis conflicts have flared up in several Island-region municipalities, even sparking a community centre "coup" for control of facilities.

with many agreeing the two sports are not compatible

The two sports are perfectly compatible.   It's no different than a couple good tennis players serving overhand and having a proper game, and on the next court a couple serving underhand and just trying for an extended, friendly rally.  I see more of the latter than former.

Pickleball has just made courts more popular, especially at peak times.  And so suddenly the tennis purists think the pickleball players are taking up space that belongs to them.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 June 2022 - 06:19 AM.

#182 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 70,134 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 06:26 AM

Boomers, eh? Fresh out of lockdown and straight to gang violence.
  • lanforod likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#183 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 32,628 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 06:38 AM

It reminds me of one time I was jogging the Cedar Hill Golf trail. Somehow we inadvertently left the trail and I guess were technically on the golf course. Now don’t get me wrong, we were not running up the middle of the fairway, or across greens, or really in fact anywhere near golfers. But they sure yelled at us.

Give me a break, golfers. You are playing Cedar Hill, not Pebble Beach. A couple errant runners should not rile you up so bad.
  • aastra likes this

#184 aastra

aastra
  • 17,548 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 01:11 PM

Just a little while ago I saw some young kids ride their bikes off the trail and straight across the middle of a fairway while a group was about to tee off. These things happen. Be aware.

Re: tennis, I gotta say the atmosphere on public tennis courts has always had that undercurrent of intolerance and tension. It was already tennis vs. tennis long before anyone had ever heard of pickleball vs. tennis. The group in the other court was never showing proper respect, never taking the decorum of the game seriously enough, etc. If you've ever played badminton you know this same irritable jerkwaddery is often evident there as well. It just seems to be a part of racquet sports. Even when I was a half-decently serious tennis player I never enjoyed the exaggerated impatience and the curmudgeonly aspect.

#185 aastra

aastra
  • 17,548 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 01:17 PM

In my entire life I don't think I've ever seen somebody on a basketball court give another group heck because they were using a soccer ball. I've never seen somebody question the scoring or the etiquette in another group's game of HORSE. But on the tennis courts you regularly saw this kind of thing.

#186 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 70,134 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 01:35 PM

Demographics, dude.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#187 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 32,628 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 01:54 PM

Badminton is an underrated sport. It’s like volleyball but with less effort and diving required.
  • Nparker likes this

#188 aastra

aastra
  • 17,548 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 02:02 PM

Demographics, dude.

That's what I used to tell the people I was playing with. The reason why you're such a jerkwad when you play tennis or badminton is because you allow your demographics to go off the charts. But when you play basketball or ball hockey you tend to keep your demographics at more tolerable levels.

#189 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 70,134 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 02:17 PM

I think you just learn to play nice, mostly.

Know it all.

#190 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 32,628 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 02:29 PM

Uh oh.

Sooke opens doors to $1.3-million multi-sport box

The facility was built on vacant land near SEAPARC Leisure Complex

https://www.vicnews....ulti-sport-box/

The box has been built to lacrosse box specifications and will serve a variety of community activities, including lacrosse, ball hockey, basketball and community events.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 June 2022 - 02:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users