Greater Victoria municipal parks

• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#41 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:25 AM

i don't know.  people that live in apartments also don't generally have boats but we see no need for the government to supply them.

I was about to make a U-Boat quip but I think it would need major rebranding, first

• todd likes this

#42 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:42 AM

i don't know.  people that live in apartments also don't generally have boats but we see no need for the government to supply them.

Often see boats in apartment building parking garages. Know plenty apartment dwellers with marina boats often with barbeques off the back.

#43 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:48 AM

perfect so we have determined these are not necessary to cater to apartment dwellers.

• Nparker likes this

#44 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:05 PM

I don't think anyone ever said they were "necessary" but thankfully governments are not constrained to only providing services that are "necessary" to their populations.

#45 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:08 PM

...thankfully governments are not constrained to only providing services that are "necessary" to their populations.

No, but the "necessary" services should be taken care of before the "niceties" and the CoV has a lot of the former that need attention.

• rmpeers likes this

#46 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 07:45 PM

Maybe the problem isn't BBQs but spending $85,000 on them? Isn't there a cheaper way to do this? Are these going to be gas BBQs? Do people need to bring propane? Why not just those simple cheap charcoal BBQ pits like they have had at Spanish banks for years.

Go back and read post #21.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#47 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:26 AM

i imagine they would be charcoal, you can't have gas unless they are going to figure out how to do an automatic shut off after a specific time(or a way to charge a person for a set amount of time then it shuts off), the safety hazards alone with gas makes it inappropriate, if they supply the gas how do you prevent people from just leaving it on and walking away? the maintenance of them, tank issues (if not directly tapped in somehow), if it's set up where you bring the tank i'd worry about damage to connections

then of course now looking at charcoal, there's risks with that, like grass, so that means you need to pave (or gravel) a large section around the BBQs, a place to dispose of the coals after your done, and a easy close access water source.. afterall your dealing with fire here..

and i could be wrong but arn't charcoal grills banned when a fire ban is on? and we tend to have a fire ban on from end of June into September on average

#48 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:40 AM

How does this work with the city’s zest for climate change?

Matt.

#49 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:57 AM

i imagine they would be charcoal, you can't have gas unless they are going to figure out how to do an automatic shut off after a specific time(or a way to charge a person for a set amount of time then it shuts off), the safety hazards alone with gas makes it inappropriate, if they supply the gas how do you prevent people from just leaving it on and walking away? the maintenance of them, tank issues (if not directly tapped in somehow), if it's set up where you bring the tank i'd worry about damage to connections

then of course now looking at charcoal, there's risks with that, like grass, so that means you need to pave (or gravel) a large section around the BBQs, a place to dispose of the coals after your done, and a easy close access water source.. afterall your dealing with fire here..

and i could be wrong but arn't charcoal grills banned when a fire ban is on? and we tend to have a fire ban on from end of June into September on average

Yes it’s a bad idea . Why can’t anyone who want to just bring a small portable bbq to the park set it on a picnic table like they’ve always done . I’m wondering if council isn’t trying to finally get their way to make it easier to set up a permanent tent city at topaz park . Wasn’t that Lisa’s plan in the first place.I don’t trust the motivation here .
  • pennymurphy2000 likes this

#50 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:17 AM

... I’m wondering if council isn’t trying to finally get their way to make it easier to set up a permanent tent city at topaz park . Wasn’t that Lisa’s plan in the first place.I don’t trust the motivation here .

Lisa/Ben's plan. I don't trust the motivation either.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:32 AM

How does this work with the city’s zest for climate change?

Matt.

A huge part of the $85k is the purchase of carbon credits.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#52 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:01 PM

The whole thing seems typically poorly thought out and not really useful. Now I will wait for a supporter to grab their instruction sheet, How To Respond if Someone Questions the Mayor and Council's Decisions.
1. Accuse them of being toxic or part of an echo chamber.
2. Suggest that they must be right wing.
  • Nparker likes this

#53 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 07 March 2019 - 02:53 PM

I don't know, people that live in apartments also don't generally have picnic tables, swing sets, slides, park benches, portable toilets, boat ramps, swimming pools, libraries and a whole host of public amenities, but you see no need for the government to supply them?

• gstc84 and lanforod like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#54 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 03:30 PM

i just see no need for the government to supply equipment that most people can afford and carry.

picnic tables, swing sets, slides, park benches, portable toilets, boat ramps, swimming pools, libraries

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 March 2019 - 03:31 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#55 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 03:45 PM

you can also buy disposable charcoal BBQ's for single use for something like $10

#56 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:13 AM

its seems enforcement actions swing wildly depending on politics or optics.

A crackdown on illegal activity at Thetis Lake Regional Park has led to a dramatic jump in fines, evictions and liquor violations over the past two weekends, statistics show.

A report going to the Capital Regional District board this coming week shows there were 28 evictions from the park on the August long weekend and 53 the previous weekend. That’s compared with just one eviction the weekend before the crackdown began.

https://www.timescol...down-1.23911819

Bylaw officers, meanwhile, handed out nine tickets for bylaw infractions last weekend and 14 the week before, compared with none prior to the start of the stepped-up enforcement program.

The report, meanwhile, shows a dramatic decline in reported violations at the park in the past 10 years. Liquor violations alone dropped from about 5,000 in 2009 to 476 last year.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 August 2019 - 05:14 AM.

#57 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 10:33 AM

does anybody else think the octopus could break free of these zap-straps if it really wanted to?

https://www.vicnews....ue-to-covid-19/

21383771_web1_200427-SNE-PlaygroundsStil

#58 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:07 AM

Perhaps we should ask the VV member who specializes in all things octopi related.

#59 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:47 AM

Can’t talk hoarding fish.
  • Mike K., Nparker and Matt R. like this

#60 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 05:43 PM

My daughter took this photo today

Attached Images

• peter pollen.jpg

• LJ, Redd42 and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users