Greater Victoria municipal parks

• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#121 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 10:26 AM

Pickleball is popular with a demographic that's made my life hell. Crack down on them, I say.

You mean to say they have no regard for you, after you spent two years in your prime saddled with restrictions for them?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#122 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 March 2022 - 10:31 AM

You mean to say they have no regard for you, after you spent two years in your prime saddled with restrictions for them?

Think I might use that line at the next council meeting...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#123 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 10:51 AM

Lol. We gotta get these boomers to calm down a little. Holy smokes.

When 71-year-old pickleball player Arslan Guney used a permanent marker to paint over faded marks on a public court, he never thought it could get him into legal trouble.

But Denver Parks and Recreation swiftly banned him from their facilities and contacted the police, who issued a warrant for his arrest.

- https://www.cbc.ca/r...arker-1.6400466

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#124 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,048 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 10:54 AM

Of course the headline and truth in the article do not match.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 March 2022 - 10:55 AM.

#125 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 12:27 PM

Why is CBC reporting on small Denver issues?

#126 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 04:59 AM

What became of the pickleball players?

Victoria must be the only city and parks-and-rec department that does not want its citizens to be active, especially the older ones.

Yes, I refer to the banning of the sport of pickleball on the James Bay tennis courts. For the third day — beautiful, sunny days — in a row, Nelson the Rottie and I walked about the aforementioned park.

Not a soul on the courts. No one. Today included. Further, parks and rec had put up fencing on the courts to block those nasty pickleballers from playing.

https://www.timescol...oak-bay-5225903

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 April 2022 - 04:59 AM.

#127 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 06:36 AM

Isn’t Saanich also limiting these games?

Know it all.

#128 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 06:54 AM

Do you get the feeling that if tennis was as popular and all the courts were filled day and night, there would be just as many complaints?

I live close by in the ’hood and, since this whole kerfuffle started, have tried to assess how much louder a wiffle ball hitting a wood surface is compared to a tennis ball hitting taut strings. I’m pretty comfortable stating that the difference in sound produced is pretty negligible.

Finally, as a neighbour to these courts, I have found the sound of pickleball being played to not be annoying, but rather inspiring, as mainly older folks take up an activity that gets them active and fit.

Or if the lacrosse boxes were always full with lacrosse and ball hockey players?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 April 2022 - 06:56 AM.

#129 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 06:57 AM

Im guessing no. I’m going to assume there’s something unique to the noise.

Know it all.

#130 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 07:13 AM

This guy says it's 30% quieter, but the pitch is higher and there are always more people playing per court (almost always doubles) and more ball strikes per point/hour/minute of play, as the rallies are longer.

VIDEO:  https://youtu.be/yqxLusa7YRY

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 April 2022 - 07:14 AM.

#131 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 07:50 AM

Yeah, to cause so much upset there has to be something about the sound. It's not always the decibel level, but the type of sound.

Know it all.

#132 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 03 April 2022 - 10:00 AM

Tennis has an established reputation, thanks in no small part by millions (billions?) in prize money tournaments worldwide. Pickle ball is kinda obscure, so easy to pick on as having few sympathizers.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#133 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 06 April 2022 - 04:26 AM

The drama.

Head of pickleball group predicts conflicts as players moved to Victoria's Central Park

It’s just a matter of time before there are long wait times and conflicts over the use of tennis courts at Central Park, said the head of the Victoria Regional Pickleball Association.

With pickleball players from James Bay and Fairfield now banned from playing at James Bay’s Todd Park because of noise complaints, and the City of Victoria relocating pickleball group bookings to Central Park, Connie McCann said she’s anticipating trouble.

“There will be conflict with tennis, I know that already,” said McCann, who was fresh from a game at the Central Park courts. “There’s tennis players down there, so we have to try and figure out how to share it. But the tennis players don’t know that many of us have block bookings.”

Those bookings are paid for in advance with the city, which then sets aside playing time on the courts.

“The group I play with has the courts booked from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. on Mondays and Thursdays and tennis players don’t even know that, so they’re very surprised when they come and we say: ‘No, this is our court,’ ” she said. “Without dedicated courts, it’s always like that.”

https://www.timescol...al-park-5237068

Just build a few more courts somewhere.  Presumably they do not need a cage like tennis courts, the ball is not going to travel 300 feet if a player strikes a winner.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 April 2022 - 04:33 AM.

#134 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 06 April 2022 - 05:20 AM

The real games are the conflicts.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#135 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 06 April 2022 - 05:22 AM

Set up a boxing ring then, whoever wins three 3-minute rounds gets the court.

• todd likes this

#136 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 08:17 AM

Why can't they have restricted hours or days for pickleball, something of that nature? Or surely someone could come up with a quieter racket? We walked by the James Bay tennis courts the other day and saw the sign that said Tennis Only. However, some toddlers were riding trikes on the court. I was surprised bylaw wasn't there issuing tickets. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#137 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 05:00 AM

Pickleballers take the game to city hall to protest lack of courts

Players have been told they can't play at Todd Park in James Bay because of noise complaints

Buoyed by this, I'm gong to protest lack of action on the Crystal Pool by giving free swimming lessons in the Centennial Square fountain next week.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 April 2022 - 05:01 AM.

• lanforod likes this

#138 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 06:18 AM

So we spent two years behind mindful of boomers over their risks associated with COVID, and the moment society asks boomers to be mindful of people’s desire for peace and quiet, they protest?

Know it all.

#139 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 06:29 AM

Pickleball makes noise.  So does tennis or basketball or soccer or tag.  So does cars and wind and dogs and kids.  Seems to me the complaints are just that parks are suddenly busy with activity.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 April 2022 - 06:48 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#140 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 06:46 AM

Right, so we try to regulate activities to find some sort of balance. When things are unbalanced, problems arise.

The contention is multi-fold. Tennis players have long complained about the lack of courts and competition for space. Suddenly a new sport has emerged played predominantly by people with lots of time on their hands, and you’ve got major conflict.

So the question I have, is why isn’t it ok for kids to play tag or for adults to play soccer at public lawn bowling fields?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users