Addiction and mental illness in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3851 replies to this topic

#201 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:49 PM

^^^ Nice catch. I read that article when it was first published. I came away with an entirely different perspective than I did a couple of minutes ago.

Selective reporting sucks.
  • A Girl is No one and kafkaesque like this

#202 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:59 AM

Holy moly.

And of course the CBC blocks comments on the story to prevent anyone from actually calling them out for fabricating 'news'.

#203 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:09 AM

She had her knee surgery 2.5 years ago.  If there is still pain, then the surgery did not work.  Masking it with drug use forever is not the solution.  Unless you like the drugs, as she apparently does.  Cocaine is not a pain reliever (or at least not a very effective one), but she's doing $100/day of it.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 June 2017 - 07:13 AM.

• jonny and Midnightly like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#204 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:10 AM

The TC has gone ahead and printed the fake/incomplete news about the woman on drugs in Vancouver.

http://www.timescolo...-off-1.20755684

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 June 2017 - 06:10 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#205 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,756 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:11 AM

The TC has gone ahead and printed the fake/incomplete news about the woman on drugs in Vancouver....

Hopefully someone (hint, hint) will correct them on their "facts".

#206 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:15 AM

I spoke with Camille Bains (the author of the report)  last night for quite some time. I will post our talking points shortly.

• jonny likes this

#207 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:28 AM

Back in 2010, 4 years before her knee surgery, Lorna Bird was already involved in street drug issues.

https://www.scienced...00913132330.htm

...says Lorna Bird, President of the Western Aboriginal Harm Reduction Society and study co-author.

To me, she's just a junkie that has found a way to make some money off the $1M-per-day DTES welfare system gravy-train.  She has lost two of her own kids to street drugs and she uses/used $100/day in cocaine.  Hardly the person that seems qualified to help citizens get better.  But that's the crazy system we have.

Vancouver's ‘gulag’: Canada’s poorest neighbourhood refuses to get better despite $1M a day in social spending

http://nationalpost....ee-2348fca36080

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 June 2017 - 06:35 AM.

• Nparker, jonny, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#208 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:05 AM

The DTES model has resulted in people taking absolutely zero personal accountability for their issues.

Drug and alcohol abusers all have excuses/reasons for their drug abuse. Everything from "my girlfriend broke up with me" to "my daddy beat me" to chronic physical pain. They'll then cling to that reason for the rest of their lives. I've met these people. You've met these people. They're all over the place. Some people really can't turn the page.

Knee pain? Man, I'd guess everybody over the age of 30 has some sort of chronic/semi-chronic pain or recurring issues. That's not a good excuse for rabid drug abuse. She probably has always had an addictive personality - this knee pain thing is just a crutch to lean on. "Woe is me I have knee pain - please give me money". She's a scheister. 

• weirdie, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#209 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,756 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:10 AM

The DTES model has resulted in people taking absolutely zero personal accountability for their issues...

And has had zero effect on improving anyone's life. Time to look at a different model.

Edited by Nparker, 27 June 2017 - 08:51 AM.

• pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#210 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

And has had zero effect on improving anyone's life. Time to look at different model.

Every junkie has a valid reason and has gone through hardship. Hard to turn the page in an environment where substance abuse is "OK" and widely accepted.

• Nparker and Wayne like this

#211 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:22 AM

Remember back in the day when programs like DARE scared the living daylights out of kids as a means of keeping them from doing drugs? I sure do. Everything from graphic scenes to cops reminding us that encounters with them outside of the classroom would rarely lead to good things.

It worked. Obviously it didn't carry a 100% success rate, but it sure had an effect on a lot of kids.

Fast-forwarding to 2017 I can't believe the volume of high school-aged kids using cocaine, heroin and meth. The numbers have skyrocketed. But when officialdom is reminding our kids to 'do drugs with a buddy' to avoid an overdose, what do we expect?

• Nparker, jonny, Midnightly and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#212 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:26 AM

It is interesting how this story reads now, having become aware of the "victim's" position with an organization that proposes the legalization of drugs.

I emailed Camille Bains and asked her if she is aware of EDIT: Linda Lorna Bird's professional position with Vancouver Area Network of Drug Users (VANDU).

Camille phoned me last night  and she said that she is aware now, but was not aware when she wrote the article. She had heard that doctors were changing their opioid prescription policy and went in search of someone that was affected by that policy. She was put in touch with EDIT: Linda Lorna Bird by a third party. She later learned of Lorna's professional position after the story was published.

The story has since been picked up by other news outlets. Camille has been in the business for over a quarter of a century. She is not a cub reporter. I will let you decide what she should do or not do now that it has become public knowledge that the optics of the story are not entirely correct.

VHF, that was an excellent observation. Thank you for that. There is a lot of chatter these days about fake news, the inaccuracy of social media, and the need to confirm facts for liability reasons. CNN just let go of a number of news staff for that very reason. If this topic interests you, it might behoove you to watch "Nobody Speak", a recent addition to the Netflix library. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHow1B32WZw  

#213 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:33 AM

^ Lorna Bird.

Camille Bains does not know how to use Google?  You type in "Lorna Bird" Vancouver.  And she did not ask the subject what her occupation was/is, since she admitted to a $100/day cocaine habit?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 June 2017 - 08:37 AM.

#214 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:38 AM

I believe that Ms. Bains was unaware that she was writing what was essentially 'fake news', but on the flipside it would be appear that she didn't even make the most minimal of efforts to validate that what she was writing was true. The good news for her career is that I don't think that anyone on the publishing side really cares anymore, the bad news is that there are a lot of people perfectly capable of just manufacturing entertainment content so the business of 'reporting' will become even more marginalized over time. 

I get it. Many 'reporters' or 'journalists' are now contract workers writing stories for $50 or $100 a pop. They latch onto a theme that they believe will sell and then crank out material as quickly as they can. Verification just slows down the process. The less ethical ones sell the theme to one party and the story to another.  

Edited by spanky123, 27 June 2017 - 08:51 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#215 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,756 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:48 AM

Remember back in the day when programs like DARE scared the living daylights out of kids as a means of keeping them from doing drugs? ..

IIRC cigarette packaging is legally mandated to carry images and messages meant to dissuade users from smoking. But "shaming" people from using illicit (and deadly) drugs is now a socially unacceptable taboo.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#216 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:58 AM

VHF, that was an excellent observation. Thank you for that. There is a lot of chatter these days about fake news, the inaccuracy of social media, and the need to confirm facts for liability reasons. CNN just let go of a number of news staff for that very reason. If this topic interests you, it might behoove you to watch "Nobody Speak", a recent addition to the Netflix library. 

Funny how the left is so concerned about freedom of speech, but the second that anyone says anything even remotely non-PC these days they are socially shamed to the point that they lose their jobs.

Edited by spanky123, 27 June 2017 - 09:10 AM.

#217 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:59 AM

Is she going to follow up the story? Retract?

Edited by sdwright.vic, 27 June 2017 - 08:59 AM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#218 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

Remember back in the day when programs like DARE scared the living daylights out of kids as a means of keeping them from doing drugs? I sure do. Everything from graphic scenes to cops reminding us that encounters with them outside of the classroom would rarely lead to good things.

Exactly!

A DARE presentation is probably considered a hate crime today.

• Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

#219 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:18 AM

^^^^^^ I fixed my mistake.

• Matt R. likes this

#220 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:19 AM

Is she going to follow up the story? Retract?

I don't know what she will do now. I didn't ask.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Victoria Watcher