Addiction and mental illness in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3861 replies to this topic

#561 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:56 AM

^ I have only watched the first 5 minutes so far. Two comments.

Excellent journalism so far (I am hooked to watch the remainder)

Long overdue.

• Rob Randall, Nparker and Love the rock like this

#562 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:25 PM

Ok finished watching this during my lunch.

Every social justice warrior needs to watch this and then ask themselves...am I helping...or am I hampering?

Thanks for this phx.

• Nparker, Love the rock, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#563 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:23 PM

Would it be fair to say that over 90% of adults in this region have at one point in time required the use of an opiate-based painkiller?

Wow, that high? No one in my immediate family has ever had them.

#564 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:25 PM

I've never had opiates prescribed.

#565 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:32 PM

Well anyone that's had a generic T3 has.

Opioid drugs include:

Codeine (only available in generic form)
Fentanyl (Actiq, Duragesic, Fentora, Abstral, Onsolis)
Hydrocodone (Hysingla, Zohydro ER)
Hydrocodone/acetaminophen (Lorcet, Lortab, Norco, Vicodin)
Hydromorphone (Dilaudid, Exalgo)
Meperidine (Demerol)
Methadone (Dolophine, Methadose)
Morphine (Kadian, MS Contin, Morphabond)
Oxycodone (OxyContin, Oxaydo)
Oxycodone and acetaminophen (Percocet, Roxicet)
Oxycodone and naloxone

Edited by sdwright.vic, 27 March 2019 - 03:33 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#566 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:46 PM

T3's are technically an opiate-based painkiller because they contain codeine and i think most people at some point have had a prescription for T3's... a few weeks ago i was in the hospital having my gall bladder removed (emergency surgery) when i left they gave me a prescription for tramacet which is also an opiate, heck they even gave me a shot of morphine in the hospital after the surgery.. and this isn't even considering the stuff they gave me before the surgery to deal with the pain i was in before discovering that my gallbladder was the reason i was in such extreme pain

because the issue didn't show up in the blood work the nurses did make a comment that they could send me home or do a CT scan to see if the issue shows up in that... thankfully i made the choice to do the CT scan which showed the gall bladder being the issue.. they almost sent me home with a bunch of pain killers(but what i really needed was anti-antibiotics to deal with the infection).. to me that really defeats the point and only adds to addiction issues.. partly i think it due to them being overwhelmed and under staffed.. it takes longer to find the route of the problem if it's not obvious.. so it's just easier and quicker to send them off with pain killers and hope the problem takes care of itself

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#567 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,072 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:55 PM

for those that watched the video:

Rhode Island Homelessness Statistics

As of January 2018, Rhode Island had an estimated 1,101 experiencing homelessness on any given day, as reported by Continuums of Care to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Of that Total, 121 were family households, 103 were Veterans, 39 were unaccompanied young adults (aged 18-24), and 264 were individuals experiencing chronic homelessness.

rhode island population is a tad over 1 million.

10,000 people an hour are watching that video.  that's pretty impressive.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 March 2019 - 04:57 PM.

#568 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:59 PM

Quality journalism by KOMO News on the drug problems in Seattle: https://www.youtube....h?v=bpAi70WWBlw

Seattle has taken the same approach as Victoria, and failed also but on a larger scale.

I’ve watched a bit of this it’s spot on later I’ll finish. I feel the frustration.Thank you for posting it .Would it be great to run this on a big screen like they do movies in the park .

#569 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,072 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 05:44 PM

from the video:

#570 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:06 PM

Wow, that high? No one in my immediate family has ever had them.

That's surprising, no one ever had minor surgery or their wisdom teeth out? That almost always comes with T3s at the least.

#571 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:28 AM

That is a good watch on this issue.  Good intentions are paving the way to our destruction as a city.  We need to equip law enforcement to enforce the laws, and we need to equip corrections to actually correct the problems.  At the same time we need to go upstream and we need to denormalize drug use, we need to get to that place where people don't think they'll try it once.

• Nparker and Teardrop like this

#572 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 11:58 AM

That is a good watch on this issue.  Good intentions are paving the way to our destruction as a city.  We need to equip law enforcement to enforce the laws, and we need to equip corrections to actually correct the problems.  At the same time we need to go upstream and we need to denormalize drug use, we need to get to that place where people don't think they'll try it once.

It doesn’t help that the government runs ads that show people in average lives that are drug users .Soccer mom,neighbor,nunn,construction worker are all drug users . Does this sent a message especially to our youth that if they too can be casual drug users and live what appears to be a normal life .After all ,look at all the photos of happy productive people in all walks of life that already are .
  • spanky123, pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#573 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:08 PM

It doesn’t help that the government runs ads that show people in average lives that are drug users .Soccer mom,neighbor,nunn,construction worker are all drug users . Does this sent a message especially to our youth that if they too can be casual drug users and live what appears to be a normal life .After all ,look at all the photos of happy productive people in all walks of life that already are .

The problem with that campaign is it stops too soon.  Yes people in normal walks of life, might be drug users - but what happens in 3 years, 5 years - what happens when the drug use is no longer "functional" but an addiction that has ruined a life?  It's a snippet that could be effective, if it told the otherside of the story at the same time.  Ie.  The images of happy functional people should be associated with recovery or with a pre-drug life.  Images of the wrath - in stark and cold ways, in the same ways you can't buy a pack of cigarettes without seeing some shocking image is what should be associated with drug use.  It's upside down.

• LJ, Daveyboy and pennymurphy2000 like this

#574 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,072 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:10 PM

except they would never dare in these psas to also portray teachers doctors lawyers judges nurses and police officers as users.  no flippin' way.  put in the white male construction worker that's "safe".

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 March 2019 - 12:12 PM.

#575 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,072 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:11 PM

The images of happy functional people should be associated with recovery or with a pre-drug life.  Images of the wrath - in stark and cold ways, in the same ways you can't buy a pack of cigarettes without seeing some shocking image is what should be associated with drug use.  It's upside down.

those ads make no mention of recovery or any mention of any negative.  that's the problem with them.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#576 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:20 PM

...in the same ways you can't buy a pack of cigarettes without seeing some shocking image is what should be associated with drug use.  It's upside down.

It's OK to stigmatize tobacco use, since that is believed to reduce smoking. The currently accepted narrative is that stigmatizing hard core, addictive, illegal drugs only leads to more harm. There seems to be some cognitive dissonance in these competing philosophies.

• Daveyboy, Love the rock and Victoria Watcher like this

#577 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:59 PM

The problem with that campaign is it stops too soon.  Yes people in normal walks of life, might be drug users - but what happens in 3 years, 5 years - what happens when the drug use is no longer "functional" but an addiction that has ruined a life?  It's a snippet that could be effective, if it told the otherside of the story at the same time.  Ie.  The images of happy functional people should be associated with recovery or with a pre-drug life.  Images of the wrath - in stark and cold ways, in the same ways you can't buy a pack of cigarettes without seeing some shocking image is what should be associated with drug use.  It's upside down.

You are so right kids don’t have the same reasoning skills as adults what are we doing.We’ve gone from the D.A.R.E program in elementary schools to showing kids that normal looking people do drugs .Its on tv commercials it’s ads all over .

#578 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,072 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 04:23 AM

Some of them are angry. All of them are sad.

And, some are apparently oblivious. I understand that the city has called on the PR agency Pyramid Communications to help them create a "counter-narrative" to the Seattle is Dying documentary.

Someone forwarded me one of their e-mails. It included, "today’s toolkit and resources to support coordinated communications in response to KOMO’s 'Seattle is Dying'." And, amazingly, a hashtag, #SeattleForAll.

And, I hear there’s going to be a volley of op-eds coming soon, attacking what we’ve done.

I guess they want to break the mirror instead of addressing the reflection.

https://komonews.com...ugly-reflection

i promise that is worth your time reading in full.

• Rob Randall likes this

#579 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,072 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 04:31 AM

Documentaries also from that right-wing propaganda machine KOMO:

Watch: 'Demon at the Door: Our Heroin Crisis'

https://komonews.com...r-heroin-crisis

Year-long project gives voices to Seattle's homeless

https://komonews.com...attles-homeless

#580 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:43 AM

When the city has to hire a PR company.... 🙄
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Lorenzo