The Yates on Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 848-852 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Yates on Yates is one of two 20-storey residential towers on a property spanning the 700-blocks of Yates a... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Yates on Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] The Yates on Yates | Condos; commercial | 20-storeys | Built - completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
991 replies to this topic

#441 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:21 PM

Have we, though?

Yes, there was governmrnt involvement in the financing.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#442 thaicobb

thaicobb
  • 75 posts
  • LocationLA & Victoria

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:10 PM

As someone old enough to remember a time when being the wrong race or religion meant one couldn't buy one's choice of property no matter how much cash you might have, I am pleased that money is now the only real requirement.  Its a lot easier to raise more cash than to change who you are.  With it, it matters not race, religion, social class, sexual orientation, income range and stability, and so forth.  So much more democratic.  Besides, I can console myself that compared to some cities, $1000/sq. ft isn't that bad.  Okay, maybe a bit high for something not on the water.

• Nparker and songheesguy like this

#443 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:48 PM

For a city as small as Victoria, $1,000/sqft is pretty bonkers even if this development is not meant for plebs. But that's the way she goes under current housing conditions.

#444 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:03 AM

Why should we expect brand new concrete condos, in the heart of our rapidly revitalizing downtown, in what will be one of the city's tallest buildings, to be "affordable"?

Affordable stuff will be wood frame low-rise stock out of the city centre.
  • Nparker likes this

#445 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:53 AM

Full size photos: https://victoria.cit...yates-on-yates/

The-Yates-on-Yates-April-14-2018.jpg

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#446 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:55 AM

One block of traffic on Yates was closed this morning due to construction at this site; perhaps the crane is to be erected soon?

#447 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:43 PM

^they have to be at the bottom of the hole for that to happen and from Mike's pics they aren't even close

#448 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:01 PM

Ya. No crane here anytime soon.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#449 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:33 PM

My bad; I completely missed Mike’s pics!

#450 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:11 AM

Estates-in-the-sky-Chard-Dev-goes-luxury-with-Yates-on-Yates-towers-luxury-penthouse-suites.jpg
Expansive views are of the many highlights at Chard Development's 20-storey Yates on Yates condominium tower currently under construction along the 800-block of Yates Street. The building's exclusive Signature Penthouse Suites collection represent the pinnacle of Chard Development's decade-plus dominance over downtown Victoria's condominium housing market.

Estates in the sky: Chard Dev goes luxury with Yates on Yates tower's Signature Penthouse Suites

https://victoria.cit...nthouse-suites/

The final release of luxury penthouse residences at Chard Development’s Yates on Yates condominium tower have been revealed as some of the most upscale boutique homes ever presented for sale in downtown Victoria, Citified has learned.

The Yates on Yates’ collection of three 19th and 20th-floor Signature Penthouse Suites represent the créme de la créme among the Capital’s real-estate offerings with high-end finishings, expansive two and three-bedroom floor plans, private outdoor patio spaces and unimpeded views towards Victoria’s natural surrounds.

“The Yates on Yates is a culmination of every project we’ve undertaken and every best-practice we’ve developed,” says Dave Chard, president of Chard Development. “We’ve taken every effort to design our penthouse suites to stand the test of time, to maximize living spaces and to take advantage of gorgeous views of Victoria, the Salish Sea and mountain ranges beyond.” [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#451 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

that's what they are calling "luxury"?? wow.  Albeit the view looks good

#452 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:05 AM

Short of gold faucets, what more can be done within Victoria’s tightly controlled development environment? The developer also has to be realistic for this market and what top-tier buyers are searching for.

Know it all.

#453 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:17 AM

I think the amount of glass in that image is pretty impressive.

#454 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:19 AM

The word "luxury" is as meaningful as the word "affordable" these days
  • newbie_01 likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#455 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:41 AM

It’s been pretty beat up with literally every new building being dubbed “luxury,” for sure. Many affordable rentals I’ve seen completed over the last few years are literally on par with what some politicians would label “luxury condos.”

Know it all.

#456 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:09 PM

Maybe the industry should come together and voluntarily agree on what would constitute 'luxury' and developers will only use that term for projects that meet those qualifications...?

#457 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:13 PM

Maybe the industry should come together and voluntarily agree on what would constitute 'luxury' and developers will only use that term for projects that meet those qualifications...?

If it has 5 appliances and "modern" finishes then it gets the luxury label slapped on, which is a low bar for new-build but makes total sense when you've lived in a place with no dishwasher and no clothes washer or dryer in the building  ;)

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and tjv like this

#458 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:27 PM

I hear the word luxury being slapped on everything these days.  I had one developer saying how luxury the building was meanwhile the cheap sinks were already starting to rust prior to move it.  That was on a downtown Victoria high rise condo building in the last 10 years

Its the little things that add luxury like min 10' ceilings, tall baseboards, non drywall window returns, tall solid core 1 3/4 thick doors with nice hardware, in floor heat in the bathrooms, remote control window blinds better yet on timers, crown mouldings.  

• lanforod and songheesguy like this

#459 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:39 PM

I hear the word luxury being slapped on everything these days.  I had one developer saying how luxury the building was meanwhile the cheap sinks were already starting to rust prior to move it.  That was on a downtown Victoria high rise condo building in the last 10 years

Its the little things that add luxury like min 10' ceilings, tall baseboards, non drywall window returns, tall solid core 1 3/4 thick doors with nice hardware, in floor heat in the bathrooms, remote control window blinds better yet on timers, crown mouldings.  

In my opinion there's really only about 5 true luxury buildings in Victoria:  

* Bayview 1

* Shutters

* Falls

* Shoal Point (although very dated now)

* Customs House

#460 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:49 PM

Just curious, what makes you place Shutters and Falls above Sovereign, Belvedere and Aria?
  • Kapten Kapsell likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users