- - - - -

Whole Foods Market in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#41 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:30 AM

Everyone should keep in mind the jump in price, isn't necessarily a jump in profit for the corporation.

In some cases, the costs could be passed onto higher wages for the employees, and thus, better service for you. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:35 AM

Everyone should keep in mind the jump in price, isn't necessarily a jump in profit for the corporation.

In some cases, the costs could be passed onto higher wages for the employees, and thus, better service for you. 

Absolutely, and as I stated earlier in this thread, some of that money props up the less-per-square-foot-earning spaces in the store.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:01 PM

Just double checked...Organic Girl Baby Spring Mix 142g is $3.00 at Walmart as are all OG items this size. Looks like it was previously $3.97. (284g package is $4.97)

Yes, it's just one item but quite the mark up.

Ah, very good. I think the WF sizing is 284g. Are those sale prices or regular prices, do you know?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:50 PM

20161107_092433.jpg 20161107_093020.jpg

WF is 142g.
The $3.00 WalMart pricing may be temporary but the regular price seems to be $3.97

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:52 PM

Ok, this is good. I wonder if Wal-Mart has slashed prices on its organic/natural products in anticipation of WF opening and sales kicked in as they opened. That'd be a smart tactic.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#46 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:07 PM

WF stock is trading at a near 5 year low with customer traffic decelerating year over year. I highly doubt that the plan is to pass profits on to employees!

#47 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:58 PM

Ok, this is good. I wonder if Wal-Mart has slashed prices on its organic/natural products in anticipation of WF opening and sales kicked in as they opened. That'd be a smart tactic.

As well as the hours their stores are open.

WF  7-10

Wal-Mart 7-11

And these hours could expand once the XMAS shopping season ramps up.

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:58 PM

From summer...

In the latest period, Whole Foods reported a 2.6% decline in comparable sales, against analysts' projected 2.3% decline, according to FactSet. So far this quarter, it said, comparable sales were down 2.4%. The Austin, Texas, company has projected it will post its first annual decline in comparable sales since 2009.

The company defines comparable sales, a key industry metric, as sales at stores it has owned for at least 57 weeks, up from 53 weeks previously.

The high-end grocer, whose name became synonymous with natural and organic foods, has been beset by a sales slowdown as competitors expanded into what had been a niche market. In addition, it has faced a series of setbacks and bad publicity, including a price scandal last year in New York that led to a $500,000 fine and a recent warning from U.S. health regulators over food safety at a Massachusetts plant that makes prepared foods and other products for more than 70 stores in eight states along the East Coast, from New Jersey to Maine.

Over all for the 12 weeks ended July 3, Whole Foods reported a profit of $120 million, or 37 cents a share, compared with $154 million, or 43 cents a share, a year earlier. The most-recent quarter's results were based on 11% fewer shares outstanding.

Revenue rose 2% to $3.70 billion.

http://www.marketwat...-07-27-18485051

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#49 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:49 PM

As I pointed out in a different thread, they're losing a CEO...

So things are working out entirely as expected.

#50 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:34 PM

Went to WF last week, pretty busy and since my wife is a Vegan and I am a vegetarian, we found several items that will be great to add to our grocery list.

#51 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:39 PM

As far as I know, they haven't

#52 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:20 PM

As far as I know, they haven't

On the products that overlap, Walmart already has lower prices. No need for them to reduce them more.

My rough guess is about 80% of the product at WF can be purchased at most other stores in town while about 20% is fairly unique and might only be available at a specialty store like Lifestyles. It is sort of like Starbucks however in that everyone knows you can get a coffee or latte for far less elsewhere, but there is a cache to being part of the culture.

#53 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:43 PM

I went Saturday around five and it wasn't busy, no lineups at the tills and lots of people checking things out, but not buying a lot. I appreciate the attention to detail and presentation of food.. but can't justify getting much there at all. A lady in front of me bought two salads to eat in from the salad bar... hers was $10.. just a few leaves.. her adult son's was $38!!! She was shocked.. the clerk said "well that's a lot of food there.." $48 for two salads... insane. I wanted to like this place..

#54 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:50 PM

I went Saturday around five and it wasn't busy, no lineups at the tills and lots of people checking things out, but not buying a lot. I appreciate the attention to detail and presentation of food.. but can't justify getting much there at all. A lady in front of me bought two salads to eat in from the salad bar... hers was $10.. just a few leaves.. her adult son's was $38!!! She was shocked.. the clerk said "well that's a lot of food there.." $48 for two salads... insane. I wanted to like this place..

Just got a flyer in the mail from Whole Foods with a bunch of coupons including 50% off salad bar.   I'll still have to be careful not to pick the dense items.

#55 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:58 PM

Just got a flyer in the mail from Whole Foods with a bunch of coupons including 50% off salad bar.   I'll still have to be careful not to pick the dense items.

The best before date comes up daily at salad bars.

#56 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:07 PM

Stopped in tonight for a visit. Store looks great, awesome produce and cheese, reasonably priced. Salad bars are always expensive, $25 a kilo here. That lady had more than a "few leaves" for $10.

Lots of great non-cow dairy options, I like that.

My wife had a decent wrap for $9 and I had a slice of pizza and a bottled drink for $6.50 or something. Seemed totally fair. Kitchen set up is pimp. Can't wait for a tour!

Only a couple blocks from our house and my wife's gym is at uptown. I can see lots of visits here for sure.

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 14 November 2016 - 10:07 PM.

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:55 AM

Are you back in town now, Matt?

Know it all.

#58 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 942 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:44 PM

Visited whole foods for the first time today.
Pleasantly surprised thought prices would be higher .
One thing puzzled me tho.
Watched an employee working in bulk section take a bag that someone had intended on buying and didn't open it up and dump it back in the bulk container .
I didn't think you could do that .
I thought once someone had removed something, written the code on the twist tie you could not put it back because it could be contaminated or they might have eaten out of the bag .
Anyone know ?
Seemed a little odd to me .

#59 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:12 AM

Possibly poorly trained? (giving WF the benefit of the doubt)

#60 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:59 AM

I wouldn't consider the bulk bin to be 100% free of contaminants either.  It's the roll-the-dice section of any grocery store.

Also I should note that I thought their bulk aisle prices were beyond absurd.

• VicHockeyFan and Matt R. like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users