- - - - -

Whole Foods Market in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#61 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 941 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:21 AM

whole foods seems fine just wondering if it's common practice.

#62 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:25 AM

Hmm, probably doesn't meet health code but maybe it does under certain circumstances?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#63 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,867 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:37 AM

Are you back in town now, Matt?

Currently in the Grand Canyon en route to Vegas.

Matt.

#64 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:40 AM

Jesus.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#65 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,867 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:47 AM

I had stopped in WF on the way to our townhouse in Saanich.

Matt.

#66 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:57 AM

whole foods seems fine just wondering if it's common practice.

It's absolutely not common practice in any reputable grocery store. Anything found outside of bulk bins is thrown out, any fresh item (produce, meat, etc.) that has been returned to the store is also thrown out.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#67 SpongeG

SpongeG
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 06:29 PM

besides the food i usually shop there for the beauty dept, like the shampoos soaps etc but they are really expensive for what i usually buy so lately I haven't bothered.

They carry Every Man Jack products, the only place in Canada I have seen them is London Drugs, the deodorant is 7.99 at LD was 10.99 at WF, the body wash is 9.99 at LD was 15.99 at WF, Dr Bromers soap was on sale at WF for 23.99, the same one at RCSS was on sale for 13.99 - reg price is 18.99 at RCSS

You really got know the brands you like and watch the prices cause I find WF beauty dept to be really overpriced.

Other than that its not that bad but i saw a 5 pack of chicken breast for 52.99, thats quite ridiculous.

#68 SpongeG

SpongeG
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 06:34 PM

I went Saturday around five and it wasn't busy, no lineups at the tills and lots of people checking things out, but not buying a lot. I appreciate the attention to detail and presentation of food.. but can't justify getting much there at all. A lady in front of me bought two salads to eat in from the salad bar... hers was $10.. just a few leaves.. her adult son's was $38!!! She was shocked.. the clerk said "well that's a lot of food there.." $48 for two salads... insane. I wanted to like this place..

that happened to me once it was almost 20 and there was barely any stuff. The hot food bar is also a shocker when you get to the till, 100 gm is like a potato wedge lol. 

#69 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 06:36 PM

Multiple items I wanted to buy when I returned to the store were out of stock and staff were either unaware or had no idea when they would be back in stock. This leads me to believe they are having possible supply problems with just one store on the island.

#70 SpongeG

SpongeG
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 06:40 PM

I wouldn't consider the bulk bin to be 100% free of contaminants either.  It's the roll-the-dice section of any grocery store.

Also I should note that I thought their bulk aisle prices were beyond absurd.

I never buy bulk foods as i over fill thinking $3 worth of smarties is what i am getting and get to the till to find out they are $10. So one time a few years ago at a RCSS there was a toddler, probably 4 years old, he was playing in the bulk food bins, no parents in sight, he was scooping food onto the floor and then scooping it off the floor and putting it back in the bins. He was enjoying himself. 

As for putting bulk foods back into the bins I have seen that done at other grocery stores before, another reason i don't trust the bulk section.

#71 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 06:50 PM

I never buy bulk foods as i over fill thinking $3 worth of smarties is what i am getting and get to the till to find out they are $10. So one time a few years ago at a RCSS there was a toddler, probably 4 years old, he was playing in the bulk food bins, no parents in sight, he was scooping food onto the floor and then scooping it off the floor and putting it back in the bins. He was enjoying himself. 

As for putting bulk foods back into the bins I have seen that done at other grocery stores before, another reason i don't trust the bulk section.

Maybe we just need a better dispensing system.  We all buy gasoline bulk.  I know we do not eat it, but you know what I mean.  The delivery system is refined.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#72 SpongeG

SpongeG
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 07:12 PM

yeah, i like the spouts they use at saveon, but damn smarties in bulk are expensive. And I only had two scoops.

#73 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:57 AM

Yeaaaahhhhh....so are there any regular WF shoppers among the VV crowd? Just curious as to your thoughts and impressions if you are..

Dropped in last night with Mrs ASE and ASE 'missy junior' to look around and get some deli/takeout. A very underwhelming somewhat tasteless bbq pork burritto (they said there was pork in it but damned if I could find any) was nearly $10. For $2.50 more I'll stick with my local authentic/family run Mexican version which is also about twice the size in terms of quantity and infinitely tastier. I think between the three of us we spent nearly $50 on what on the whole was pretty pedestrian fare.

Mrs ASE browsed a few aisles and declared that "well....we wont be ditching Save On for this" in terms of regular weekly or bi-weekly grocery excursions. The joint wasn't exactly jumping with customers either; I wonder how they're doing in terms of revenue-projection$.....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 12 January 2017 - 08:57 AM.

#74 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:59 AM

Yeaaaahhhhh....so are there any regular WF shoppers among the VV crowd? Just curious as to your thoughts and impressions if you are..

Dropped in last night with Mrs ASE and ASE 'missy junior' to look around and get some deli/takeout. A very underwhelming somewhat tasteless bbq pork burritto (they said there was pork in it but damned if I could find any) was nearly $10. For $2.50 more I'll stick with my local authentic/family run Mexican version which is also about twice the size and infinitely tastier. I think between the three of us we spent nearly $50 on what on the whole was pretty pedestrian fare.

Mrs ASE browsed a few aisles and declared that "well....we wont be ditching Save On for this" in terms of regular weekly or bi-weekly grocery excursions. The joint wasn't exactly jumping with customers either; I wonder how they're doing in terms of revenue-projection$.....

I go there for those $9 burritos because they're good and if you ask for extra guac they just toss a bunch on free of charge.

I don't generally shop there as the prices are astronomical, but to be honest I consider Save On to be astronomical compared to Rootcellar and Red Barn too.

#75 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:06 AM

Yup, I wouldnt do the main grocery shop there, but they do carry some very unique items exclusive to them. Its not called Whole Paycheque for its bargains! 

If you havent watched this you should, https://www.youtube....h?v=2UFc1pr2yUU its a hilarious song about the Whole foods parking lot, went viral a few years back.

Edited by rjag, 12 January 2017 - 09:06 AM.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#76 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:23 AM

FRom what I have been told, sales over the first couple of weeks were way above expectations. Haven't had an update recently. Hard to tell though as grand openings and going out of business sales are the hallmarks of Victoria retail success.

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

#77 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:24 AM

Ha ha, thanks Rich that's great....

#78 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:55 AM

Haha! That's pretty good.

Know it all.

#79 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:45 AM

Good to hear the local shop is/has been doing well. Was a bit concerned after hearing of Whole Foods' plans to shelve some of its Canadian expansion plans.

#80 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:54 AM

What a difference a couple of months make. I was at WF the other day and the place was empty. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users