BUILT
The Haro
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 5120-5144 Cordova Bay Road
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Haro is a mixed-used residential and retail community situated along the 5100-block of Cordova Bay Road in... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Haro on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] 5120-5144 Cordova Bay Road | Condos; commercial | 4, 4 and 4-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#1 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:24 PM

Yet again the dreaded "C"-word comes to another innocent, hapless and defenseless neighborhood in Greater Victoria. Time to man the barricades....!

And all the usual fear mongering nonsense is dredged up once again with the inevitable comparisons to the "west end of Vancouver". Good grief - imagine the prospect of a four and - egads!! - an eight story building and a rebuilt and completely upgraded version of an existing aging, s****y grocery store to boot.....the horror, the horror!!

http://www.timescolo...a-bay-1.2961956

• Nparker, 2F2R, jonny and 3 others like this

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:49 PM

Yet again the dreaded "C"-word comes to another innocent, hapless and defenseless neighborhood in Greater Victoria. Time to man the barricades....!

And all the usual fear mongering nonsense is dredged up once again with the inevitable comparisons to the "west end of Vancouver". Good grief - imagine the prospect of a four and - egads!! - an eight story building and a rebuilt and completely upgraded version of an existing aging, s****y grocery store to boot.....the horror, the horror!!

http://www.timescolo...a-bay-1.2961956

Ya.  I think I did that math here before.  The amount of SFDs NE of the intersection of Shelbourne and Feltham is extraordinary.  There are no traffic nightmares.  190 more houses in the gravel pit in Cordova Bay is a drop in the bucket.

screenshot-www.google.ca 2016-11-20 15-52-06.png

• Nparker and jonny like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 November 2016 - 04:54 PM

Ya.  I think I did that math here before.  The amount of SFDs NE of the intersection of Shelbourne and Feltham is extraordinary.  There are no traffic nightmares.  190 more houses in the gravel pit in Cordova Bay is a drop in the bucket.

Another good example is the Songhees.....no traffic at that light depsite a lot of condos.

Edited by MarkoJ, 20 November 2016 - 04:54 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#4 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:38 AM

Another good example is the Songhees.....no traffic at that light despite a lot of condos.

The Songhees is a very walkable place to live with easy access to the walkway and downtown shopping and coffee shops.

Cordova Bay has one of the nicest beaches in the area and easy access to the Lochside Trail.

#5 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:48 AM

The Songhees is a very walkable place to live with easy access to the walkway and downtown shopping and coffee shops.

Cordova Bay has one of the nicest beaches in the area and easy access to the Lochside Trail.

Both true but the fact is that if you live in the Songhees you can walk to many places that you would shop or eat at. The same is not true at the gravel pit.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:23 AM

post-5-0-98350200-1479685996.png

I should comment that that area above has a grand total of one commercial business, a coffee shop.  Well, and an office.  It still works.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:39 AM

I should comment that that area above has a grand total of one commercial business, a coffee shop.  Well, and an office.  It still works.

I guess it works if you want to drive to the one amenity. 

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:42 AM

I guess it works if you want to drive to the one amenity. 

I dunno.  Why does everyone need to go to the grocery store every day?  Some weeks I never see the inside of one.  I have not bought anything at a drug store for over a year, other than shaving needs.

#9 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:57 AM

Both true but the fact is that if you live in the Songhees you can walk to many places that you would shop or eat at. The same is not true at the gravel pit.

Mattick's Farm is across the street.

http://www.matticksf...s/adriennes.htm

#10 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:07 AM

It's funny, here I was thinking that Cordova Bay had settled on a pretty good model for the future re: attractive and comfortable developments like Mattick's Farm and Sayward Hill.

I dunno, even the narrowest definition of Cordova Bay would have to equal a neighbourhood with a population somewhere in the range of 10,000-12,000. A slightly wider net would get you 15,000-20,000. Would a few hundred new residents* over several years really constitute such dramatic change to justify "grave concern"? Heck, these few proposals together might well constitute the least significant change that the area has seen over the past fifty years.

*So... did nobody make the point that most new condominiums in Victoria remain unoccupied? Remember that whole thing about unoccupied condos? The "ghost town" effect? Hello?

#11 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:13 AM

I dunno.  Why does everyone need to go to the grocery store every day?  Some weeks I never see the inside of one.  I have not bought anything at a drug store for over a year, other than shaving needs.

Ever heard of fresh food?? 

Mind you, grocery store food turnover isn't daily, but there is fresh food coming in daily. Certainly, most people go at least once a week. You're not the norm.

• Nparker likes this

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:20 AM

... I have not bought anything at a drug store for over a year, other than shaving needs.

Either you own industrial size shampoo, deodorant & toothpaste, or someone needs to take a hard look at their cleanliness.  :squint:

#13 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:22 AM

I'm in a grocery store at least 5 times a week but there's 5 of us to feed.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:22 AM

Either you own industrial size shampoo, deodorant & toothpaste, or someone needs to take a hard look at their cleanliness.  :squint:

Ya, that stuff I never buy just one.  I'll buy ten or 20 when I buy.

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:24 AM

You must have some interesting storage solutions.

#16 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:25 AM

You need to check the best before date though...most people don't know that toothpaste has one.

Those people are easy to spot once they smile.

• Nparker likes this

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:27 AM

You must have some interesting storage solutions.

And before this goes any further, I am going to award myself the following

off-topic.jpg

• AllseeingEye likes this

#18 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:16 PM

post-5-0-98350200-1479685996.png

What about the strip mall at the NE corner of Feltham and Shelbourne and the grocery store North of that? Also the above area has 4 schools, several churches and a rec centre, all amenities that definitely contribute to the area "working".

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:30 PM

I excluded them since they were right on the border.

#20 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:56 PM

I have been spending about half my time over in the lower mainland.   What I am seeing in a number of older neighbourhoods is that the corner stores have almost transitioned more of a cafe type place.   They very much enhance the sense of neighbourhood and community

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users