Photo

Journalism, Online Media and Freedom of the Press.

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#161 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 06:28 PM

If something concerns you you need to look into it yourself. This goes for the alt streams too. Those are also full of narratives to sold to just another audience. The news should just be an alert to do so.

Look at the Ottawa protest coverage in the WSJ and report back. I watched live streams, know people who were there, listened in every night on their CB communications when they were driving, participated in local rallies… that event has got to be the most grossly distorted bit of news in the media in our history. It’s a good test to see how neutral or straight the media source is. And no, Rebel News is not the straight news….
  • Nparker and Wayne like this

#162 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 31 October 2022 - 03:32 PM

Pretty big story here. DHS had a secret back door portal to Twitter and FB to take down dis/misinfo. On everything from elections to covid - whatever is ‘wrongthink’ can be removed in a coordinated effort.

Who decides whats true?

https://theintercept...nformation-dhs/

#163 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,710 posts

Posted 31 October 2022 - 03:46 PM

...Who decides what's true?...

Those in charge - as always.

#164 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,344 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 October 2022 - 07:48 PM

Pretty big story here. DHS had a secret back door portal to Twitter and FB to take down dis/misinfo. On everything from elections to covid - whatever is ‘wrongthink’ can be removed in a coordinated effort.

Who decides whats true?

https://theintercept...nformation-dhs/

Don't misrepresent what is actually the truth here. Facebook and Instagram has (not had) a portal for government reporting of content for Facebook review. Per that article, 35% of the reported information gets acted on in some way. It's not like CISA or the DHS can go into some Facebook portal and take down content.
Its a long article and maybe I missed it, but I did not see anything similar for Twitter, though it wouldn't be surprising to me.

Edited by lanforod, 31 October 2022 - 07:48 PM.

#165 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,924 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 10:00 AM

CNN on Thursday laid off hundreds of staffers and made other sweeping changes that CEO Chris Lictht admitted was a "gut punch" to the network. Among the biggest changes: All live programming on HLN will be halted starting on Dec. 6.

Licht singled out the work of Robin Meade, the "Morning Express" anchor who has been with HLN since 2001. In place of her show, CNN's longtime sister channel will instead simulcast "CNN This Morning." HLN crime programming will move under Warner Bros. Discovery Networks and will be led by Kathleen Finch as it merges with ID.

"I want to take a moment to thank Robin Meade -- she is not only an exceptionally popular anchor, but also one of the longest-running morning hosts in history," Licht wrote in a staff memo outlining the layoffs and restructuring the outlet is undergoing. "I know the HLN audience will miss her and the other HLN talent."

https://www.msn.com/...NQzU?li=BBnb7Kz

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 December 2022 - 10:01 AM.

#166 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 03:45 AM

screenshot-www.youtube.com-2023.01.02-06_43_32.png

Arguing for motion was the associate editor of The Spectator magazine, Fox News contributor, and bestselling author of The Madness of Crowds, Douglas Murray. He was joined on stage by Substack publishing sensation, former Rolling Stone contributing editor, and investigative journalist, Matt Taibbi.

Arguing against the resolution was the internationally acclaimed author, podcaster and veteran New Yorker staff writer, Malcolm Gladwell. His debate partner was Michelle Goldberg, New York Times columnist, MSNBC contributor, former American Prospect senior correspondent and senior writer for The Nation.

The audience voted on this resolution prior to hearing the debate. 48% voted in favour of the resolution, while 52% voted against the resolution.

At the end of the debate, another poll was conducted. 67% voted in favour of the motion, while 33% voted against it, representing a 39% vote gain for the PRO side.

^ That's the largest swing vote ever in the history of the Munk debates.

AUDIO:   https://youtu.be/3vkgROIINEs

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 January 2023 - 03:50 AM.

#167 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 03:49 AM

FlbftzAagAUV-LH.jpg

• LJ, Matt R. and dasmo like this

#168 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 07:21 AM

Boy, the hits keep on coming for CNN’s semi-new CEO Chris Licht — and we don’t mean the network’s lineup.

CNN just notched its lowest ratings in nine years across all its day parts for the week of Jan. 16 through Jan. 22, 2023, according to Nielsen averaging just 444,000 viewers in primetime, 93,000 in the all-important age 25-54 news demographic and 417,000 in viewers and 80,000 in the demo for total day. It’s the first time since May 2014 that the network failed to reach 450,000 viewers.

By comparison, during the same period Fox News drew 1.4 million viewers and 176,000 in the demo while MSNBC notched 629,000 total viewers and 69,000 in the demo. In primetime, Fox News had 2 million viewers, 256,000 in the demo and MSNBC had 943,000 viewers and 91,000 in the demo.

#169 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 07:23 AM

GB News has for the first time averaged more prime time viewers over a month than Sky News.

In the period from 22 November to 21 December, the opinion-led broadcaster managed an average 57,107 viewers in the evenings, versus 52,230 for Sky.

The channel also averaged more prime time viewers than Sky in 17 out of the 30 days in that period.

But the start-up, which has been dogged by detractors’ jokes about small audiences since launch, continues to consistently lag Sky News for all-day viewership.

GB News chief executive Angelos Frangopoulos told staff in a Christmas memo on Wednesday: “In just 18 months you have worked as a team to end Sky News’ undisputed 33-year reign as the most-watched commercial news channel in the United Kingdom.”

https://pressgazette...e-time-ratings/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 January 2023 - 07:23 AM.

#170 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 11:46 PM

Quite the thing happening over in Great Britain.

Phillip Schofield has revealed he is afraid to leave the house after the revelation of his affair with a younger male colleague.In a new interview with The Sun he said he feared being spat on in the street and that he was currently getting by “hour by hour”.

The former This Morning presenter, 61, previously said he had “lost everything” after admitting to the affair, and that the fallout had had a “catastrophic effect” on his mind.In a new interview, published on Friday, he told The Sun: “I do not know a time I will be able to walk out of the door.“I don’t have any spirit. My friends tell me, ‘It will get better’. It won’t. Not now. Not this one.”He added: “I am getting by hour by hour. I have got my girls and my friends.”

He also urged the media to leave his former lover “alone now”.

https://www.itv.com/...s-secret-affair

Phillip Schofield denies grooming younger male colleague

He reportedly met his former lover when the man was a 15-year-old boy at drama school but said the affair did not begin until the man was much older and had begun working at ITV. Schofield was married at the time.

https://www.theguard...-male-colleague

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 June 2023 - 11:49 PM.

#171 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 08:11 AM

Bell is cutting another 1,300 jobs.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...radio-1.6876075EB964174-EEED-40A5-9866-363F78F68290.jpeg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 June 2023 - 08:23 AM.

#172 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,710 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 08:32 AM

Maybe they can reduce my cell phone bill now.

#173 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 07:08 AM

Meta will stop showing content from Canadian news agencies in the coming months, after Bill C-18 requiring social media platforms to pay news sites received ascent.

It’s interesting, that news agencies are allowed to poach, re-write and essentially duplicate content of their competitors without any penalty, effectively stealing their work, and taking credit for it. There appears to be nobody fretting about this rampant practice, and how it impacts smaller news outlets in particular. But in regard to social media profits, suddenly equity matters.

If the government was serious about equity and fairness in the news industry, they would table legislation targeting the rampant theft of stories and story ideas the media engages in, to where moments after someone else does the leg work for a story, other media take it and claim it as their own with no reference to the originating source. And in many instances, the media that does this is media that also receives federal dollars (ie tax revenues via Canadians) to boost their bottom lines.

"A free and independent press is fundamental to our democracy," Canadian Heritage Minister Pablo Rodriguez said in a statement. "It levels the playing field by putting the power of big tech in check and ensuring that even our smallest news business can benefit through this regime and receive fair compensation for their work."

Fair compensation for their work would be great, wouldn’t it? So how about we start with what’s happening in Canada that we can control and cease altogether, before we go after foreign platforms that the media agencies themselves want to use, not the other way around.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ebook-1.6885634

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#174 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 07:37 AM

Online ads on Canadian media have just become worth less money to the media since they are going to lose a lot of clicks. 

#175 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 07:39 AM

It’ll all work out.

It’s a bit rich though.

I think every Canadian media site of any significant size willingly posts their links on Facebook daily.

Hard to figure they do that then complain.

#176 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 07:43 AM

Who needs whom here?

Meta doesn’t need the CBC. Nor does it need the National Post. But the CBC and National Post need Meta, for story leads, access to witnesses and sources, and then the promotion of their content. And that’s only when they’re -not- simply reproducing press releases or creating content off off press releases. Meta isn’t stupid, they know their role in all of this and how media creates content. What the Liberals are doing is asking the taxi driver to pay the passenger.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#177 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 07:43 AM

They bit the hand that feeds them. Good for Meta telling them to take a hike.

#178 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 07:51 AM

The Liberals seem to have lost touch with reality on a number of fronts. 

• Nparker likes this

#179 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 02:44 PM

Bell Media has asked the federal broadcast regulator to drop the spending requirements and dedicated airtime imposed on the company's local television news programming.

BCE's media arm says it wants the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to amend "certain conditions of licence" regarding its local English- and French-language TV stations, CTV and Noovo.

Bell Media calls it "regulatory relief" to counter online competition and help offset losses wracked up in recent years.

"Unfortunately, Bell Media has been losing tens of millions alone in the production and delivery of local news," it said in a summary of the application posted Friday and filed on June 14 — the same day BCE announced it's cutting 1,300 positions, shutting or selling nine radio stations and closing two foreign bureaus.

"In the four-year period between 2016 and 2019, [Bell Media's] average annual news operating loss was $28.4 million," the company said.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ments-1.6886898

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 June 2023 - 02:44 PM.

#180 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,144 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 08:18 AM

Aaron Gunn has a new video out about Bill C-11 and censorship of the internet along with free speech curtailments in professional associations.

https://www.youtube....tOjvg1E&t=2339s

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users