[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#3521 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:26 PM

there is money sitting around BC Ferries is extremely top heavy . We as taxpayers pay those pencil pushers way more that what they are worth the money can come from there start making those jobs redundent

Time to clean house John

That's funny stuff right there. If you think there's layoffs coming at BC Ferries I'd like some of what you're smoking.

#3522 LJ

LJ
  • 12,771 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:26 PM

That's pretty bold.

NDP must think there is money sitting all around us.

http://www.cheknews....romises-349132/

"We will make sure life is more affordable for people." Uh John, it's the people that are going to have to pay higher taxes to make up for the shortfall, not your people of course, they don't pay taxes they just want more "free" shxt.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3523 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:29 PM

It's going to be really affordable for people when the NDP rams BC built ferries down our throats at three times the construction cost of foreign built boats while taking four times longer to build.
  • HB likes this

#3524 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,132 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:59 PM

Just don't touch the damn Experience card program!

Matt.

ETA: who am I kidding, they don't even know it exists

Edited by Matt R., 21 July 2017 - 08:00 PM.

#3525 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

How about some reduced fares for Vancouver Islanders, say one free ferry trip on and off the island once a year...or failing that a once a month.

#3526 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:17 PM

How about some reduced fares for Vancouver Islanders, say one free ferry trip on and off the island once a year...or failing that a once a month.

Why?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3527 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:20 PM

Why?

Because if they want to throw money around during their brief kick at the can, how about something for all of us long suffering Islanders?

Edited by Bingo, 21 July 2017 - 08:21 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#3528 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:47 PM

It's going to be really affordable for people when the NDP rams BC built ferries down our throats at three times the construction cost of foreign built boats while taking four times longer to build.

I'd be curious to understand the tax ramifications of this.  All of the supporting jobs and services, the resulting local spin-off and tax revenue.  Reminds me of the lost $7.2M when they gutted the Northern Ferry route.  But hey....BC Ferries saved some coin.  That's all that matters.

Simpletons

#3529 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,913 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:47 PM

Because if they want to throw money around during their brief kick at the can, how about something for all of us long suffering Islanders?

For even more fun, the NDP should take a page out of the BC Liberals' handbook and punish the folks in the ridings that did not support them. Start charging for the inland ferries!

• sebberry and GabriolaGirl like this

#3530 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:11 PM

I'd be curious to understand the tax ramifications of this. All of the supporting jobs and services, the resulting local spin-off and tax revenue. Reminds me of the lost $7.2M when they gutted the Northern Ferry route. But hey....BC Ferries saved some coin. That's all that matters.

Simpletons

The tax ramifications are that the rate payers have to pay more in fares and / or the government has to collect more tax revenue to pay for boats that cost more to be built in BC than if built in markets that actually have viable shipbuilding industries.

BC does not have a ship building industry. Van And Vic Shipyards are glorified garages.

#3531 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:21 AM

I do not want my friends in Atlin paying for my ferry fare.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3532 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:22 AM

I'd be curious to understand the tax ramifications of this. All of the supporting jobs and services, the resulting local spin-off and tax revenue. Reminds me of the lost $7.2M when they gutted the Northern Ferry route. But hey....BC Ferries saved some coin. That's all that matters.

Simpletons

It still does not add up.

#3533 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:18 AM

OTL is advocating 1980's social democratic economic policy, which has been widely debunked. Trade benefits everyone. Pick up am economics textbook.

Anyway, BC literally has no ship building industry for larger ships, which is why the feds have waived duty on larger imported ferries. The only way it could happen is another boondoggle like the fast cats. BC shipyards don't even bid because they cannot meet the contract terms.

For reference, the fast cats cost $500M in 2000 dollars. BC Ferries bought the coastal class ferries for $380M circa 2008 or so.

#3534 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:20 AM

It still does not add up.

It would not add up because all of the components, the steel, paint, mechanical systems, galley equipment, seats, etc would have to be imported from outside of BC anyway. That stuff is not made here.

#3535 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:32 AM

there is money sitting around BC Ferries is extremely top heavy . We as taxpayers pay those pencil pushers way more that what they are worth the money can come from there start making those jobs redundent
Time to clean house John

There was a time BC Ferries got way too management heavy about a decade ago. But that ended, as it should have, and generally BC Ferries is actually a pretty lean organization these days insofar as upper management. I don't regularly defend privatized BC Ferries business practices since I think the whole organization was created in bad-faith by the Campbell Liberals, but this is a criticism that's not supported by reality.
  • thundergun and shoeflack like this

#3536 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:33 AM

Anyway, BC literally has no ship building industry for larger ships, which is why the feds have waived duty on larger imported ferries. The only way it could happen is another boondoggle like the fast cats. BC shipyards don't even bid because they cannot meet the contract terms.

BC yards didn't bid on the last two ferry projects because they're busy building the large ships you say they don't have capacity for lol.

#3537 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:54 AM

57, since signing those contracts they have built precisely nothing. They are still in contract negotiations.

It says something when our "ship building industry" builds nothing but government ships. It tells me we don't really have much of an industry at all.

#3538 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:12 AM

should not be an issue for a few individuals on this forum who were pretty upset about them being built in europe see what bandwagon there on if ship are built here

#3539 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:14 AM

I do not want my friends in Atlin paying for my ferry fare.

atlin is not really bc it's within the bc border but really it's more yukon
  • Bingo likes this

#3540 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:18 AM

BC yards didn't bid on the last two ferry projects because they're busy building the large ships you say they don't have capacity for lol.

What LARGE ships?  They build the odd barge and small ship.  Nothing even the size of the Salish Class.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 22 July 2017 - 07:19 AM.

• jonny likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users