[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#4281 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:20 PM

They have a new WiFi contract out right now :)

They're also implementing credit card tap right now on ship & in terminal.

Maybe if they have a working network connection they can finally implement debit card services.

• VicHockeyFan and lanforod like this

#4282 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:44 PM

Spirit of BC will be at Ogden Saturday for a hopefully quick stop, basically clearing customs and waiting for high tide to get to Deas in Richmond Saturday night. Will be turned over back to BCFS pretty quick and sounds like it may need unplanned drydocking.

#4283 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:40 PM

Spirit of BC will be at Ogden Saturday for a hopefully quick stop, basically clearing customs and waiting for high tide to get to Deas in Richmond Saturday night. Will be turned over back to BCFS pretty quick and sounds like it may need unplanned drydocking.

The Ogden pilot call is gone now? I'll ask VC Ferries tomorrow, if they even know? Maybe customs will be done in Richmond?

#4284 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:45 AM

It is just south of Victoria now. Headed into Ogden Point.

Edited by laconic, 05 May 2018 - 06:59 AM.

#4285 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:02 AM

Looks like she's moored off the coast. Not sure what's up. Maybe they're waiting for a pilot to sail her into port?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4286 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:15 AM

Looks like she's moored off the coast. Not sure what's up. Maybe they're waiting for a pilot to sail her into port?

Because of the size they need specific tides for Deas Dock, apparently. So they're waiting on that.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#4287 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:29 AM

No kidding. Ok, cool.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4288 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:32 AM

Because of the size they need specific tides for Deas Dock, apparently. So they're waiting on that.

I thought with global warming and all the water level was always higher? One of the upsides...

• Mike K. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4289 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:17 AM

While waiting off Holland Point this morning. Nice to see her back in her namesake waters.

Attached Images

• IMG_8757.jpg

• Mike K., Nparker, lanforod and 1 other like this

#4290 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:14 PM

Northern Sea Wolf pushed to July 20th. I've heard that may be a bit optimistic, too.

#4291 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:38 PM

Queen of Cumberland back in service this Friday, in time for Victoria Day. Good news, my staff can use the break next week!

Matt.

#4292 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:49 AM

The guy in the accident was pretty beat up.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4293 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:40 PM

Spirit of BC back in service June 6th if everything stays on track. June 24 is the contracted no later than date.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan and AllseeingEye like this

#4294 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:30 PM

Spirit of BC back in service June 6th if everything stays on track. June 24 is the contracted no later than date.

Thanks Westhills, you've been very good on this file all along.

#4295 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:05 PM

Passengers stranded after second officer falls ill, ferry sails with just cargo

"About 20 B.C. Ferries passengers will receive travel vouchers or some other form of compensation after an illness forced a ferry to leave them behind...Marshall said at about 8 p.m. on Tuesday the second officer of the ferry leaving Duke Point for Tsawwassen at 8:15 p.m. fell ill and was taken to hospital.

No replacement was found and that left the ship without sufficient bridge crew to carry passengers as required by Transport Canada regulations."

http://www.timescolo...argo-1.23312078

I don't know about the rest of you all, but to me the real story here is that BC Ferries is running a Coastal class super ferry (vehicle capacity = 310, passengers and crew = 1,604) on a sailing that attracts TWENTY passengers.  :whyme:

• Matt R. likes this

#4296 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:17 PM

Commercial route. Tons of drop trailers. And not every sailing is going to be full. Sort of like not ripping up Highway 1 because it's quite at night!

But BCFS does really well with commercial traffic, and the Coastal Inspiration itself is a profitable venture. They're pretty efficient boats and they run her with minimal crew most of the time!

Edited by 57WestHills, 25 May 2018 - 07:19 PM.

#4297 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:38 AM

Commercial route. Tons of drop trailers. And not every sailing is going to be full. Sort of like not ripping up Highway 1 because it's quite at night!

But BCFS does really well with commercial traffic, and the Coastal Inspiration itself is a profitable venture. They're pretty efficient boats and they run her with minimal crew most of the time!

Wouldn’t it be more cost efficient to run a barge like they do for other commercial drop ship trailers? Or a small container ship? They wouldn’t have to kit it out with and staff a gift shop.

#4298 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:19 AM

It isn't exclusively a commercial route. One poorly utilized sailing is in no way a measure of the greater route usage.

And fitting it out with that gift shop makes a lot of money, anyways. So to go the other way would be illogical.

#4299 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,771 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:37 AM

... fitting it out with that gift shop makes a lot of money, anyways. So to go the other way would be illogical.

Why is it the things on BC Ferries that make money (gift shops, buffets etc.) are the first things people think should be cut? Transport Canada requires certain minimum staffing levels and getting rid of the "frills" would only mean staff would have to stand around and do nothing.

#4300 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:39 AM

It isn't exclusively a commercial route. One poorly utilized sailing is in no way a measure of the greater route usage.

And fitting it out with that gift shop makes a lot of money, anyways. So to go the other way would be illogical.

No, I get that.  I suppose "poorly utilized sailing" is subjective. 20 passengers on a late night, midweek sailing and you're still putting on a Coastal class vessel makes no sense no matter how you slice it.  Put on the Queen of Spuzzum and a couple of container barges and I'll bet that you're still ahead of the game compared to sailing at 1.2% capacity.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users