Photo

[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#5841 splashflash

splashflash
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 06:56 PM

First increase in Duke Point to Tsawwassen weekly sailing schedule that I can remember since the service started in early 1990s. Except during COVID and when cuts occurred to the morning and night sailings on weekends, the 2 hrs 30mins frequency has stayed pretty well the same since its inception.

Now that will change. The loading sellouts and filling of space of that route have increased in comparison to the Departure Bay to Horseshoe Bay route.

I wonder if longer term they plan to drop that route as they did during COVID. It will be better served by the new foot passenger private service, Hullo, starting soon. Maybe longer term Joy MacPhail and Nicolas Jimenez want to close Departure Bay and sell off the land for development and avoid rebuilding costs at Horseshoe Bay.

https://globalnews.c...nge-tsawwassen/

Edited by splashflash, 03 June 2023 - 08:09 PM.

#5842 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 07:20 PM

They are reducing horseshoe bay - departure bay service and adding more duke point service because it benefits their commercial services department (drop trailer biz).

Edited by max.bravo, 03 June 2023 - 07:21 PM.

#5843 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 08:52 PM

So they still have the early morning truck sailings?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5844 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 10:51 AM

Not sure what you’re referring to, but their Drop Trailer business can only operate between Duke Point, Swartz Bay, and Tsawwassen. (Horseshoe Bay is too small to allow semi trailer parking).
The drop trailer business is very good for BCF’s bottom line (so good that the bc ferries commissioner had to conduct a review a few years ago at Seaspan’s insistence because it’s a government monopoly that eats into seaspans business).

So while this move is ostensibly about relieving sailing waits between horseshoe bay and departure bay, it can’t actually do that since it’s reducing service on that route.
  • JohnsonStBridge likes this

#5845 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,044 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 01:25 PM

From the inbox today, a survey on the buffet situation.  Say it ain't so!

https://www.bcferrie...ffets-evolution

#5846 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 01:41 PM

Just one more reason to avoid BC Ferries.

#5847 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 June 2023 - 01:52 PM

If those numbers in that document are correct, they are making the right decision. Simple economics.

• Matt R., Lorenzo and vortoozo like this

#5848 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,044 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 02:29 PM

Just one more reason to avoid BC Ferries.

What, the lack of a buffet? I still like the sea west lounge but wish they’d add some deli meat and maybe a salad or crudités.

#5849 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,044 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 02:29 PM

If those numbers in that document are correct, they are making the right decision. Simple economics.

Yup it’s a total dog. My buddy says they should tender the space out to a contractor, get Cactus Club in there.

#5850 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 02:36 PM

...I still like the sea west lounge but wish they’d add some deli meat and maybe a salad or crudités.

You mean turn it into a buffet?

• Matt R. likes this

#5851 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 03:26 PM

What, the lack of a buffet? I still like the sea west lounge but wish they’d add some deli meat and maybe a salad or crudités.

Wha.....wha....what? Crudites?!? What the heck are crudties Matt??!! Oh wait, I think I heard a reference to them once on the original Star Trek:

Spock: "Captain...scanners reporting something on sensors, coming into view now! Yes...as I suspected its a Crudite heavy cruiser. Captain we've strayed into Crudite Space!!!

Kirk: "Crudites Spock, explain....quickly.....what are Crudites??!

Spock: "Crudites Captain, first encountered by the Federation over 100 solar years ago. They were reputedly a barbarian species...but in fact they are colorful, crunchy and fresh..."

Kirk: "Spock if I understand you correctly then a full spread of photon torpedoes should be enough to....

Spock: Yes Captain! Brilliant!!!! A full spread of photon torpedoes will indeed cause the Crudites to implode on impact and morph into a harmless but tasty, nutritious and delicious form, one typically dipped in a vinaigrette or other similar sauce.....

Kirk: "So...in other words Spock......they're like salad creatures.....basically they're a harmless buffet species?"

Spock: "Much as it pains me to admit that is an accurate if crude/ite* earth analogy Captain..."

* See what I did there?!

• Matt R. likes this

#5852 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,052 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 03:28 PM

Yup it’s a total dog. My buddy says they should tender the space out to a contractor, get Cactus Club in there.

So why did they think a buffet works on the ferry, but no dry land business runs a similar operation (buffets are quite rare, especially featuring "western" food)?  Did they think the built-in sitting time limit would limit people's food intake?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 June 2023 - 03:29 PM.

#5853 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 04:29 PM

So why did they think a buffet works on the ferry, but no dry land business runs a similar operation (buffets are quite rare, especially featuring "western" food)?  Did they think the built-in sitting time limit would limit people's food intake?

The answers to your questions are in the News Release Matt linked above. I think BC Ferries did a great job with the release, providing all the background, etc.

The buffet originally replaced white linen table service as it was proving to be too costly. Seems like it helped with the losses but did not end up eliminating them completely.

• Matt R. likes this

#5854 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 June 2023 - 04:36 PM

Tender out seems like a good idea as long as it avoids the same fare as the normal restaurant. It might be tight though time wise for full service restaurants. Sushi could work.

#5855 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 04:38 PM

Tender out seems like a good idea as long as it avoids the same fare as the normal restaurant. It might be tight though time wise for full service restaurants. Sushi could work.

That gets tricky as the buffet staff were trained on ship emergency response etc.

If you have a third party in there BC Ferries might have to have additional staff standing around doing nothing when they reach higher passenger levels in case of emergency.

Plus I'm sure there'd be union issues.

#5856 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 June 2023 - 06:55 PM

Yeah that all makes sense. Regardless, losing over 1m per year is not an option. Time to move on.
  • Matt R. likes this

#5857 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 07:34 PM

If BC Ferries is serious about dumping its money losers, maybe it needs to look at some of its less-than-profitable routes.  :teacher:

#5858 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,044 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 07:35 PM

You mean turn it into a buffet?

It already is, just limited. Crackers and cheese, some salty snacks..

#5859 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 07:36 PM

...Crackers and cheese, some salty snacks..

Worst. Buffet. Ever.

• Matt R. likes this

#5860 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,044 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 07:36 PM

Wha.....wha....what? Crudites?!? What the heck are crudties Matt??!! Oh wait, I think I heard a reference to them once on the original Star Trek:

Spock: "Captain...scanners reporting something on sensors, coming into view now! Yes...as I suspected its a Crudite heavy cruiser. Captain we've strayed into Crudite Space!!!

Kirk: "Crudites Spock, explain....quickly.....what are Crudites??!

Spock: "Crudites Captain, first encountered by the Federation over 100 solar years ago. They were reputedly a barbarian species...but in fact they are colorful, crunchy and fresh..."

Kirk: "Spock if I understand you correctly then a full spread of photon torpedoes should be enough to....

Spock: Yes Captain! Brilliant!!!! A full spread of photon torpedoes will indeed cause the Crudites to implode on impact and morph into a harmless but tasty, nutritious and delicious form, one typically dipped in a vinaigrette or other similar sauce.....

Kirk: "So...in other words Spock......they're like salad creatures.....basically they're a harmless buffet species?"

Spock: "Much as it pains me to admit that is an accurate if crude/ite* earth analogy Captain..."

* See what I did there?!

Certainly an “A” for effort! I was surprised my device autocorrected the word with the accent so I just went for it, I knew the older crowd would understand!
  • AllseeingEye likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users