Photo

[Saanich] Tuscany Village mixed-use | Built - completed in 2007

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#141 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:47 PM

Applebees at Tuscany Village is now open.

It is actually Applebees Grill and Bar (not bar and grill). I'll speculate our nanny state insisted on that to protect us.

There seemed to be a mix of people inside: several groups of 20-somethings, a few tables of families with kids, and some older people too.

#142 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:21 PM

I don't know anything about that restaurant other than it being the butt of a lot of jokes.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#143 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:03 AM

Applebees at Tuscany Village is now open.

It is actually Applebees Grill and Bar (not bar and grill). I'll speculate our nanny state insisted on that to protect us.

There seemed to be a mix of people inside: several groups of 20-somethings, a few tables of families with kids, and some older people too.

Give it 6 months and then look again. Anything new in Victoria gets business for a while.

#144 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:29 PM

Photographs and critique:
http://www.flickr.co...57624196975627/

#145 ChrisA

ChrisA
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:43 AM

I was just poking around Google Maps looking for restaurants near where I'll live/work in Victoria when we move (in three weeks, yay!) and discovered to my horror that the "restaurant" which went into "Tuscany Village" is Applebee's.

Applebee's? APPLEBEE'S!? There isn't a decent restaurant anywhere for miles and miles around, particularly north of the university, and they put in freakin' APPLEBEE'S!? I've toured Tuscany, and I don't recall seeing any Applebee's. They couldn't have found something Italian, or at least a place which serves food?

I would cast my vote for any politician who proposed nuking Tuscany Village from orbit.

#146 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:20 AM

I was just poking around Google Maps looking for restaurants near where I'll live/work in Victoria when we move (in three weeks, yay!) and discovered to my horror that the "restaurant" which went into "Tuscany Village" is Applebee's.

Applebee's? APPLEBEE'S!? There isn't a decent restaurant anywhere for miles and miles around, particularly north of the university, and they put in freakin' APPLEBEE'S!? I've toured Tuscany, and I don't recall seeing any Applebee's. They couldn't have found something Italian, or at least a place which serves food?

I would cast my vote for any politician who proposed nuking Tuscany Village from orbit.

The horror, eh? When I was part of the GHRA, the developer confirmed the restaurant tenant as Milestone's, which - despite it's corporitized fare - would have been far better than a fracking Applebee's. Turns out that the developer ran out of money, which delayed the development, resulting in Milestone's activating their exit clause and purchasing a space in that Langford power centre where the big wine store is.

#147 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:36 AM

The horror, eh? When I was part of the GHRA, the developer confirmed the restaurant tenant as Milestone's, which - despite it's corporitized fare - would have been far better than a fracking Applebee's. Turns out that the developer ran out of money, which delayed the development, resulting in Milestone's activating their exit clause and purchasing a space in that Langford power centre where the big wine store is.

It was first Milestone's, then East Side Mario's and finally Applebee's. I think that the first two also looked at the parking situation/footprint and decided against it.

I have been two Applebee's twice and both times were a huge disappointment.

#148 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:45 PM

There isn't a decent restaurant anywhere for miles and miles around

lol, it's not quite as bad as you make it out to be. In addition to the usual fast-food and coffeeshops, the dining choices include:

Monkey Tree
Tropical Island
Eugenes
Sampan
Little Thai Place
Pho Ever
1550's
Brannigan's
Athene's
Maude Hunter's
Salty's
JJ Morgan
Olive Olio's
Smugglers Cove
Naughty Nellie's
mcrae's
Purple Garden
Urban Cup

It is a good selection considering Victoria does not have much of a dining-out culture.

#149 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:47 PM

^I would strike a few of those from my list.

#150 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:48 PM

Yes, well, individual tastes vary. I wouldn't dine at JJ Morgan's myself, but it might appeal to ChrisA.

#151 ChrisA

ChrisA
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:50 PM

Good lord, no.

I don't know many of the places you list, but the ones I do know are pubs or take-out places (or wretched, like JJ Morgans). Which may be fine for what they are, but last time I checked a "high end restaurant" was going into Tuscany Village. That ain't Applebee's.

#152 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:55 PM

Quite honestly, I don't think that high-end would have worked in that space. Milestone's was pretty well as high as it could go. You would have ended up alienating almost the entire UVic crowd. Besides, to me, high end + strip mall (let's be honest, Tuscany Village is a strip mall with $hitty parking and overpriced condos on top) = closed after 6 months.

As for dining selections in the area, PHX forgot to mention La Dolce Vita in Shelbourne Plaza (next to A&W). I agree, it's not high-end, but the coffee is excellent and the food is authentic Roman fare (made by a couple of Romans) and really tasty.

#153 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:00 PM

There is the Med Grill in Royal Oak...

#154 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:32 PM

In the neighbourhood...
Maud Hunters for peppered chicken wings.
Brannigans for a great cooked English breaky.
and Tim Hortons for the best chili going.

#155 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:16 PM

Two people that i know have gone to that Applebee's have praised the steak to me... I didn't believe it the after the first person told me, but after the second.... I need to try it.

#156 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:38 AM

Don''t forget Boston Pizza next to Tim Hortons and Canadian Tire.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#157 ChrisA

ChrisA
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:20 AM

The situation is even more dire than I feared. At least there are good markets in the area. I think.

and Tim Hortons for the best chili going.

Oh, the humanity.

#158 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:32 AM

This thread got me thinking.

Are there any "fine dining" restaurants left in Saanich?

#159 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:36 AM

Tuscany Village is a strip mall with $hitty parking...

In what way is the parking bad?

#160 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:52 AM

In what way is the parking bad?

It's like the corn maze on Blenkinsop, with undersized spaces. there is nothing in that mall to attract me, that I can't get elsewhere nearby.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users