BUILT
RidgeView Place
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 2770 Claude Road
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Storeys: 11
RidgeView Place is an 11-storey, 90-unit residential complex with ground floor commercial space in the 2700-bl... (view full profile)
Learn more about RidgeView Place on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford] Danbrook One / RidgeView Place | 11-storeys | Rentals, commercial | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
547 replies to this topic

#361 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 07:18 AM

But if the building was as seismically stable as 80% of the similar sized (footprint and height) buildings currently occupied in B.C. ... why would the muni and the engineers association make it sound like it was on the cusp of falling down?

I strongly wonder whether the technical details would indicate that this was more a result of an inflexible B.C. building code than it was any actual chance that the building might collapse, or even pose a danger to the occupants?

Thus a detailed reportage of the specific technical details, written by some keener reporter, would likely make the entire story much more easily understood, essentially answering the questions related to the building falling down, or simply not meeting an ultra-strict, non-flexible B.C. Building Code, one that's got vastly different requirements from the same B.C. building code as it read 25 years ago?

#362 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 07:39 AM

Here is some background that the Westshore dug up. Sounds like a little more than small oversights.

https://www.capitald...rook-one-design

#363 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 07:58 AM

Thanks for that link!

To my eye, the most egregious "oversight" noted in that article was the fact that the foundation was completed before a geo-tech report was available ... but then the article doesn't go on to explain if the geo-tech report ultimately gave the go-ahead based on their sub-surface analysis?

I suspect the geo-tech report did come back with positive news though, as remediating sub-surface issues after a building was completed would either be impossible, or cost $20 million.

Based on the article spanky linked to, I do wonder if this was a situation where a multitude (or even just "a lot") of separate issues became apparent ... none of them at all critical on their own, but taken together demonstrating such a profound lack of experience and/or effort on the part of the engineer ... the Muni simply had no choice but to rescind the occupancy permit?

#364 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 08:00 AM

^ So back to my earlier comment about whether this was this engineer's practice for other buildings? I find it hard to believe that someone would do their job flawlessly for years and then on one project completely drop the ball in so many apparent areas

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#365 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 08:23 AM

This was the engineer's first all-concrete highrise residential structure, which would be a departure from what I believe to have been a career of designing mostly 1+5s (one floor concrete, five wood).

It's like building an F150 and an F250. The F250 has beefed up components but fundamentally the vehicles are quite similar but you want to tow the weights you could with a comparable F250.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#366 AllJetNoPilot

AllJetNoPilot
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 09:56 AM

The Engineers of BC Discipline page has the Consent Order with details on the full number engineering of failures that took place in this case, as well as the Order of the Investigation Committee on Extraordinary Action which outlined his previous experience.

There's also a new posting for the other member of the firm outlining their taking the project on without the right experience or time.

Theodore (Ted) Sorensen, P.Eng.

#367 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 10:06 AM

Great links!

Those documents answer all the questions I was asking above.

That is an incredibly long list of everything from relatively minor, to incredibly major flaws in the buildings design and engineering.

Reading those documents ... I'd certainly never want to set up house in that building prior to it being completely remediated!

That is a very long list of design errors ... he comes across as a complete amateur, and one wonders how he ever got himself retained in the capacity of the engineer of record in the first place?

#368 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 03 June 2022 - 12:21 PM

AllJet, thank you very much for the links.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#369 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 07 June 2022 - 06:20 AM

Cap Daily:

Second Danbrook One engineer accused of contributing to the building’s flaws

A second senior engineer involved in the 11-storey Danbrook One building’s faulty structural design has been accused of wrongdoing by the professional association that oversees engineers’ work.

Ted Sorenson, the principal engineer at Sorenson Trilogy Engineering, is accused by the Engineers and Geoscientists of BC of unprofessional conduct and incompetence resulting in a structural design for the residential high-rise that wasn’t up to the BC Building Code’s seismic standards. The building was evacuated in December 2019 when the City of Langford revoked the occupancy permit.

The current owner, Centurion Property Associates, has completed remedial construction work, and the building has been slowly refilling with new tenants since May. It also changed the name and address to RidgeView Place at 2770 Claude Road.

The main structural engineer on the project was Brian McClure, who Capital Daily reported last week has been stripped of his accreditation and ordered to pay a $25K fine and $32K in costs. Now his boss faces a similar review for his role in the faulty design.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 June 2022 - 06:20 AM.

#370 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 03:23 PM

Langford has removed residents who moved back in, due reportedly to identified structural issues.

Know it all.

#371 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 03:30 PM

What?
  • Matt R. likes this

#372 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 03:35 PM

Brief details:

🔹Occupancy permit revoked second time for 11-storey Ridgeview/Danbrook rental tower in downtown Langford🔹

For a second time, the City of Langford has revoked the occupancy permit of a rental tower in downtown Langford.

Danbrook One, more recently renamed Ridgeview Place, had it occupancy permit pulled several years ago due to “serious issues” relating to the structure, as identified by the provincial engineering association. In 2022, residents moved back in.

Now, the City says remediation efforts completed by the building owner may not have been addressed or properly reviewed post-remediation, according to the provincial engineering agency. On April 23, building owner Centurion confirmed a third-party visual review of the building concluded the building is unsafe. A more detailed analysis will now be conducted.

Ridgeview Place is situated on Claude Road.
  • martini and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#373 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 05:02 PM

Langford high rise deemed unsafe, evacuated again

It’s the second time in four years that residents of the 11-storey, 90-unit building — initially called Danbrook 1 and then Ridgeview Place — have had to undergo an emergency evacuation

#374 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 05:34 PM

So I guess the $8M meter will keep running. The court has ruled that the liability of the engineering firm is limited to the fees they were paid. I assume then that leaves potentially Langford, DBS and the builder on the hook for the rest.

#375 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 09:16 PM

So has anyone ever put any photographs online of visible issues?

#376 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 04:53 AM

Justin Bergh, 35, was downstairs with two of his children while his wife with his remaining child was upstairs packing and figuring out where they and their two dogs could go on such short notice.

“My wife is stressed and flustered,” said Bergh, who moved into the building almost a year ago. “It’s scary and unnerving to think that we have been living in a building with such serious structural defects for the last 12 months.”

The landlord has suggested that tenants will be offered $1,000 as compensation for their inconvenience.

“I called the building manager, and she suggested I call the 1-800 number. The person at the end of the line suggested I call the building manager. Nobody wants to provide us with any answers. What are we supposed to do? Why is it our responsibility [to find accommodation] now,” said Ashley MacDonald, 44, who had a small dog with her.

https://www.timescol...to-live-6903079

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 April 2023 - 04:54 AM.

#377 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 April 2023 - 07:10 AM

So I guess the $8M meter will keep running. The court has ruled that the liability of the engineering firm is limited to the fees they were paid. I assume then that leaves potentially Langford, DBS and the builder on the hook for the rest.

Seriously? That is a terrible, terrible precedent. 

#378 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 07:55 AM

Seriously? That is a terrible, terrible precedent. 

It was likely stated as such in the contract between the parties. The court isn't setting any precedent per sey.

• lanforod and Barrrister like this

#379 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 09:42 AM

Oh dear

https://www.saanichn...under-new-name/

The city will approve the occupancy permit once engineers hired by the building’s owner sign off on it meeting necessary standards, Young said. “It will probably be the safest building in Langford since they have gone through it with a fine-toothed comb I’m sure.”

#380 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 April 2023 - 09:52 AM

It was likely stated as such in the contract between the parties. The court isn't setting any precedent per sey.

Ah, then ok. Carry on.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users