APPROVED
937 View Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 937 View Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 23
937 View Street is a proposal to build a 23-storey rental tower along the 900-block of View Street in the City... (view full profile)
Learn more about 937 View Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 937 View Street | Rentals | 23-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#61 RustyNail

RustyNail
  • 208 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:10 PM

The Mosaic. It is up for rent right now, contact me if you are interested.

The point is, that size is perfectly livable if you accept it for what it is. It's not a three bedroom, you can't have a big dresser and armoire. Suites like these are more like living on a yacht and it's perfect for someone starting out, downsizing or just doesn't want a lot of stuff. But my storage locker was essential.

mosaic2.jpg

Hehe, not looking for a place right now. Actually bought a presale in the Vivid at the Yates, which will be my first condo when it finishes. I've been interested in clean minimalist interior design ever since and the look of your suite is something I'd like to aim for. Thank goodness I'll have a storage locker as well.

Is there a fold down bed in that Mosaic unit?

#62 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:27 PM

A queen size murphy bed is on the right in the photo. Much better than a sofa bed. 

That photo is after I moved out and a tenant moved in. Two people currently live in it comfortably. They are mountain climbers and they have devised some ingenious ways to store items up and out of the way. Clothes racks and backpacks are nestled along the ceiling using ropes and carabiners. You have to search far and wide for suitable furniture. IKEA has nice vertical cabinets that only take up a single square foot. The trick is instead of buying numerous cheap and bulky items you spend more on fewer quality compact items. Then nobody will say how small and cramped it is, they comment on how efficient and funky it is.

#63 RustyNail

RustyNail
  • 208 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:50 PM

Yeah, some people are pretty ingenious with small spaces. Some really cool videos on youtube.

Those quality compact items certainly don't come cheap though. Some of those multipurpose pieces, like a coffee table that folds out into a dining room table or a couch with a backside that folds out to bar style seating, have hefty prices. It's worth it in the end though and I'm quite looking forward to the furniture shopping.

Where/what do you live in now, if I can ask, and did you aim for the same design aesthetic?

#64 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:12 PM

Now, a big ol' house in Gordon Head. Design is a mix of IKEA, garage sale finds and hand-me-downs. Note the IKEA cabinets that can be stacked on legs or mounted on the wall. If I lived in a small space I would think about pieces like this.

8a5aa008-ce3f-4294-a802-158280220ee2.jpg

#65 RustyNail

RustyNail
  • 208 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:47 PM

I like. If only IKEA was on the island and not the mainland, would be so much more convenient.

#66 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:52 AM

Downtown Residents Association opposed to 253-unit View Street rental complex

https://victoria.cit...rental-complex/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#67 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,293 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 02:50 PM

terrible dra overreach. these community associations are a menace.

• Nparker and DavidSchell like this

#68 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 01:35 PM

The developer here is hoping to break ground in fall 2020 per the following link:  https://nelsoninvest...37-view-street/ .

This seems doable, given that a development permit with variance is required (rather than a full rezoning) and so there might not even be a public hearing?  

#69 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 April 2020 - 02:10 PM

The developer here is hoping to break ground in fall 2020 per the following link:  https://nelsoninvest...37-view-street/ .

This seems doable, given that a development permit with variance is required (rather than a full rezoning) and so there might not even be a public hearing?  

"With Variance." It'll have to go to what the City describes as an "Opportunity for public comment" after being considered by Council.

#70 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 11:57 AM

This project has been significantly revised.  Height has increased to 18 storeys and unit count has increased to 267 (!).

937view.png

• newbie_01 and Promontory Kingpin like this

#71 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 12:12 PM

Oh. Whoa.
  • Kapten Kapsell likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#72 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 August 2020 - 12:20 PM

Not trying to hide the pre-fab nature of the building this time around, it really looks the part. Sounds like they're planning on extensive built-ins to make the small floorplans work. 

Also, the new proposal is 2.3 m taller than View Towers but just as monotonous

Capture.PNG

#73 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 12:22 PM

Well, I now feel that this proposal is moderately more interesting than the 6-storey View/Vancouver proposal; admittedly, View/Vancouver isn't a high bar to exceed.

• Nparker likes this

#74 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 12:27 PM

How excruciatingly bland.

#75 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 12:32 PM

It's probably just the rendering, but I get a mid-20th century NYC vibe from this latest proposal.

• Mike K. and newbie_01 like this

#76 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 12:40 PM

It's probably just the rendering, but I get a mid-20th century NYC vibe from this latest proposal.

Yes, they would call this a "post-war elevator building" (with or without doorman).

• Nparker likes this

#77 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 12:52 PM

Yup, totally. I got that vibe with Abstract's 12-storey rental proposal, too.

Know it all.

#78 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 02:54 PM

That's exactly what it looks like. I mean, come on. What's the ultimate goal here? To turn day into night on that block of View Street?

Seriously, I think I'd be willing to put up the money out of my own pocket so they can buy the blueprints for the skinny tower that was rejected near Fort and Cook.

I like the terrace levels, I'll say that much. So what are we saying here? Are we saying even something like Vivid on Yates would not be viable on this site? Why not? I don't get it.

#79 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 02:59 PM

...Are we saying even something like Vivid on Yates would not be viable on this site...

A reduced floorplate would likely mean an even taller tower and we know that won't ever be allowed.

#80 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 03:05 PM

I don't understand how can it be viable to build shorter and less dense projects on more desirable sites, but not on this one. Is this lot exceptionally valuable or something?

Is the city encouraging this sort of project? (this overall direction, I mean?) I sure hope not. Just because View Towers is there doesn't mean the rest of the block has to follow the View Towers example.

Edited by aastra, 21 August 2020 - 03:09 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users