CANCELLED
Duck's Building
Use: condo
Address: 1314-1324 Broad Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: in planning
The Duck's Building development was originally envisioned as a 108-unit condominium and ground floor retail pr... (view full profile)
Learn more about Duck's Building on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Duck's Block | Condos; rentals; retail | 7-storeys | Cancelled

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
140 replies to this topic

#21 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:09 PM

Guess you'll have to go to the June 8th meeting to find out! It's at Swans  :cheers:

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:13 PM

Hmmm...

:cheers:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

DougG posted a Development Proposal notice in the Rumours thread that includes more properties than Mike has listed:

1306 Broad Street...

1306 Broad is that ugly little one-storey building that juts out into the parking lot.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

It REALLY needs to go.

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

That would make sense, wouldn't it, to see it demo'd to make way for the rental building?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:24 PM

That would make sense, wouldn't it, to see it demo'd to make way for the rental building?

Yes it would, but when has common sense prevailed in the CoV?  :confused:

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:05 PM

I kind of always hoped for an expansion of the Legacy Art Gallery into a proper Contemporary Art Gallery with a lot more shows and display space... Oh well.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#27 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:17 PM

Seven stories would work here no problem if the taller portion is set back. I bet they do that. Broad st has so much potential it just feels like it needs something to give it a boost to draw more vibrancy to it. This might be it.  

• Nparker and jonny like this

#28 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:20 PM

I kind of always hoped for an expansion of the Legacy Art Gallery into a proper Contemporary Art Gallery with a lot more shows and display space... Oh well.

Well, if you are going to go there, it's a shame all around because Michael Williams really supported artists with his properties by giving them cheap studio space.  It was great when this art gallery was the glass blowing collective! Anyway....

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and Jill like this

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:53 PM

Oh yeah, the glass blowing place! That was something else.

Know it all.

#30 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:55 PM

Maybe there's an opportunity to do something creative in the re-vamped ground floor spaces in this redevelopment.

#31 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

Maybe there's an opportunity to do something creative in the re-vamped ground floor spaces in this redevelopment.

Sure but artists can't afford $1000/sqft ;-)

#32 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:29 PM

Sure but artists can't afford $1000/sqft ;-)

If enough of them got together they could!

#33 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:03 PM

Hard to make art with five others in 400 sqft

#34 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:41 PM

Hard to make art with five others in 400 sqft

Is that supposed to be a snipe against clown cars? You're saying a clown car isn't art? That might just be the most inflammatory thing that I've ever read on the Internet. The anti-clown bias on this board is off the charts. And the mods don't do **** about it.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Jill and 1 other like this

#35 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:01 PM

Is that supposed to be a snipe against clown cars? You're saying a clown car isn't art? That might just be the most inflammatory thing that I've ever read on the Internet. The anti-clown bias on this board is off the charts. And the mods don't do **** about it.

It's no wonder the anti-clowns are stealing the mods gas.

#36 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:24 AM

I am curious as to what "in keeping with the heritage setting of Old Town" while "not imitating" means from a design perspective.

...Chard’s plans would see him construct two buildings concurrently on either side of the Duck’s building. They would be at the same height along Broad Street, but have an additional two storeys set back from the street. Those first two buildings would be used to “structurally assist in maintaining the Duck’s building” as it undergoes a complete gutting. “It will be a major removal of everything inside there,” Chard said.

As for the two new buildings on either side, he said the style will be complementary, but not imitating the heritage look of the Duck’s. “It will be in keeping with the heritage setting of Old Town,” Chard said...

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.Ga3n7f3l.dpuf

#37 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:21 AM

I am curious as to what "in keeping with the heritage setting of Old Town" while "not imitating" means from a design perspective.

Think the rear extension of the Hudson building.

#38 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:12 AM

Sounds good to me.

#39 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:13 AM

Seven stories would work here no problem if the taller portion is set back. I bet they do that. Broad st has so much potential it just feels like it needs something to give it a boost to draw more vibrancy to it. This might be it.

It could have been pedestrianized years ago at little cost. It would be an ideal spot for pubs and cafes. Voila, vibrancy!

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:19 AM

If a seven-storey tall Customs House was approved at the foot of the Inner Harbour and Victoria's ground zero tourism spot, I don't think seven storeys will be a challenge for Chard on Broad at Johnson.

I do, however, feel that perhaps it is time to hire an architectural firm other than MCMP. If MCMP tackles this project, the two new-build buildings will be numbers 10 and 11 for the firm within a stone's throw of each other, and that's just their work with Chard. The designs are great, of course, but there is a pattern starting to emerge and I'd personally like to see some variety. Chard did reach out to DHK for the four-storey portion of his James Bay project, so perhaps he'll look to them for this project? I guess we'll soon find out.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users