UNDER CONSTRUCTION
TELUS Ocean
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 767 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
The Apex Site property on Douglas Street at Humboldt Street in downtown Victoria, also known as the 'Budget Lo... (view full profile)
Learn more about TELUS Ocean on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] TELUS Ocean - Apex Site | TELUS and Aryze Developments

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#181 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 03:58 PM

FWIW, the "Ocean Futures Cluster" forms part of the Draft Victoria 3.0 plan, which was released in January this year. So while possibly a bit of word soup, she's not pulling the idea out of thin air.

The point is what does naming a building "ocean" have to do with an ocean tech cluster? Does the Telus Vancouver office foster a "garden" tech cluster?

#182 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,567 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 04:11 PM

The name is in reference to Ocean Networks Canada.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#183 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,788 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 04:47 PM

FWIW, the "Ocean Futures Cluster" forms part of the Draft Victoria 3.0 plan, which was released in January this year. So while possibly a bit of word soup, she's not pulling the idea out of thin air.

As always, I assumed she pulled the idea out of her ***.

#184 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 06:07 PM

“The fact that Telus, which is British Columbia’s largest private sector employer, is making such a big investment in downtown Victoria is a strong sign of our economic recovery,” Mayor Lisa Helps told a news conference.

https://www.timescol...rden-1.24145283

what nonsense.

Every politician in the history of the world uses language that makes them and their program look good.

Edited by qv, 03 June 2020 - 06:11 PM.

#185 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 06:26 PM

It's no big deal. We always give City Hall a hard time for not having a good marketing plan and then when they create one they get grief for it. 

#186 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,567 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 06:30 PM

Anyhow, this is an amazing gift for a city our size. It’s big-league stuff to have a project of this caliber destined for a small city, and from what I’m hearing the design will be quite something.

We’ve known this was in the works for several years, but to have it confirmed during our initial COVID recovery phase is a huge, and I do mean huge, boost of confidence for investors who will be looking to safe havens where they can park their capital, and TELUS just shined a light on US!

Thank you, TELUS, Aryze and CoV. Politics firmly aside, this is game changing for Victoria and I trust there won’t be too many obstacles for this project to receive the green light and dirt to start moving.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#187 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,567 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 06:36 PM

In fact, this feels like something of the 2003-2006 era where Victoria was on the precipice of great things. This project brings back a lot of nostalgia for us “skyscraper fanboys” (thanks, Alan) that the history books are quite likely to forget, but who all know each played a part in the built form of the Victoria that so many take for granted today.

To all of you, and you all know who you are, this is sounding like it’ll be the feather in our cap. And you better believe it that your efforts way back when, that frustration, that time and effort you put towards your involvement on community orgs, attending work shops, organizing public hearing appearances, writing letters and most importantly contributing anything and everything to a group of no-good trouble makers from all walks of life via some online forum, made this happen. And don’t for a second think that had it not been our man Randall running the downtown shop like he did, and paving the way for downtown’s future like he did, that we’d be having this conversation.

Know it all.

#188 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 06:45 PM

All thanks go to Bob Beaumont's grandma.

#189 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,567 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 06:56 PM

But did you read the last paragraphs?

"While the City may be mum on the winning bid and its design attributes, Victoria’s development rumour mill has entertained the idea that the winning proposal is that of Telus Corporation, which, as reported by Citified in April, has been actively searching for a downtown Victoria development site or a partnership opportunity to occupy a newly-built south Island headquarters.

Telus’ requirements, according to firms that were approached by the organization, were to situate its new offices in an avant-garde building or commercial podium that would be recognized as a Victoria landmark and be visible from arriving float planes.

The Apex Site, if indeed now in the hands of Telus, would certainly fit that bill."

^Flashback from September of 2017.

Know it all.

#190 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,788 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:07 PM

...this is an amazing gift for a city our size...to have it confirmed during our initial COVID recovery phase is...huge...

Did Lisa pay you to paraphrase her press release or did you offer to do it pro bono;)

Don't get me wrong, while I believe this project is a positive thing, I think it's premature to call it a game changer. With so many negative things taking place in the city right now (e.g. the deliberate replacement of our tourism economy by a seemingly endless expansion of the poverty industry; the complete indifference for the burden being placed on local taxpayers by an increasingly hostile local government driven more by ideology than common sense; the allocation of finite resources for pet projects that benefit few people etc.), you'll have to forgive me if I am a bit skeptical that one new telecom office will usher in a shiny future for Victoria.

#191 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:07 PM

CoV gonna fast track approval or get in the way?

#192 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:47 PM

Love Bob Beaumont’s grandma!

Wish I was as optimistic as you Mike, but this a small office (250 people), ten floors, and a local firm that is only known for creating small bunker style infill housing. If they can come up with a stunning design that doesn’t turn it’s back on the street - drinks are on me.

I’m not seeing this as a vote of confidence in Victoria by Telus, instead a necessary update to their existing office setup in Victoria. Telus Sky hired superstar architecture firm Bjarke Ingels Group, and no doubt paid millions for their service. No one was expecting a starchitect for Victoria - but a small local firm with no track record in designing signature office buildings? It boggles the mind, and is a bit insulting to the city.

BUT, I’d love to be proven wrong.. and hey, Francis Rattenbury was a bit of an unknown local too right..? That being said, it’ll be hard to beat the rejected design on page 1 of this thread.

#193 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,567 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:49 PM

The architectural firm retained for this project is world-class, and has never done a project in our neck of the woods, from what I understand.

Remember that Aryze is a development firm, not an architectural firm.

Know it all.

#194 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:57 PM

Thanks Mike, good to know, and I just went back to read your Citified article.. am I missing who the architectural firm is?

“ The Aryze project team will lead the project architect and consultant teams, and ensure the initiative progresses in alignment with the shared goals of the community and TELUS”

Exactly how/why is Aryze leading the project architect..? It sounds like Aryze will influence the design?

#195 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,567 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:02 PM

Aryze is TELUS’ local presence. The company will liaise between the parties. Remember TELUS is a comm firm, not a developer.

The architect was not announced in the city’s release.

Know it all.

#196 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,087 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 02:46 AM

Every politician in the history of the world uses language that makes them and their program look good.

smart ones do it a lot better.

the permanent closing just in the last 30 days of a 115-room (plus pub and restaurant) and a 75-room hotel must also be a sign of our economic recovery, right?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 June 2020 - 02:47 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#197 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:48 AM

The name is in reference to Ocean Networks Canada.

What does Telus have to do with Ocean Networks Canada? Is OCN going to move from UVIC to the new Telus building?

Telus is doing what the Province does every few years. The Province gets the Jawls to build a new building and they consolidate offices into it. Best part of that is that it frees up class B space for other companies to upgrade into.

Edited by spanky123, 04 June 2020 - 07:50 AM.

#198 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,567 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:52 AM

I would think that TELUS will be cooperating with UVic by helping design technology for the university, etc.

It's not a coincidence that Mayor Helps has been talking about the ocean for the past year as an economic driver. If we recall, she had a trip planned to Dubai to promote Victoria's ocean sciences/tech industry, and at the time the impression was she picked up on what UVic was doing and decided to promote it. But now we've gotten a glimpse of this ocean theme going deeper, with TELUS involving itself in innovation projects specifically catering to that industry.

Or not.

We'll see once more details emerge.

Know it all.

#199 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:14 AM

I would think that TELUS will be cooperating with UVic by helping design technology for the university, etc.

It's not a coincidence that Mayor Helps has been talking about the ocean for the past year as an economic driver. If we recall, she had a trip planned to Dubai to promote Victoria's ocean sciences/tech industry, and at the time the impression was she picked up on what UVic was doing and decided to promote it. But now we've gotten a glimpse of this ocean theme going deeper, with TELUS involving itself in innovation projects specifically catering to that industry.

Or not.

We'll see once more details emerge.

Well I looked at the OCN annual report and there was not a single reference to Telus. AFAIK, Telus is not doing anything with OCN or ocean sciences but I could be wrong.

There are a handful of Ocean tech companies in the CRD. Aside from Mayor Helps, I am not sure anyone had a clue what she was talking about when she announced her concept for an ocean tech cluster (which was supposed to be in the Rock Bay / Capital Iron area). Maybe this is just another "mission accomplished" for her and now we move on to the next of the 180 priorities.

Again I could be wrong but I assumed Telus named their build "ocean" along the same lines as their sky, garden, and harbour themes.

Edited by spanky123, 04 June 2020 - 08:19 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#200 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,567 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:17 AM

I would think this is a new initiative, and TELUS will be jumping on board as the corporate sponsor/advocate for UVic's ocean sciences pursuits. I wouldn't be surprised if the first corporate naming of a university building will involve TELUS.

WIth COVID slashing revenues, UVic would gladly welcome a few million bucks to rename the ocean sciences building.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users