UNDER CONSTRUCTION
TELUS Ocean
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 767 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
The Apex Site property on Douglas Street at Humboldt Street in downtown Victoria, also known as the 'Budget Lo... (view full profile)
Learn more about TELUS Ocean on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] TELUS Ocean - Apex Site | TELUS and Aryze Developments

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#161 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:21 AM

you said they are running at a fraction of their capacities.

I guess you mean they are considered “full” at 50%.

well short of doubling the fleet size and doubling the workforce and maintenance facilities nothing can be done.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 June 2020 - 07:23 AM.

#162 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:30 AM

People don't want to take buses because Bonnie Henry has them convinced they will die if they do.

#163 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:31 AM

you said they are running at a fraction of their capacities.

I guess you mean they are considered “full” at 50%.

well short of doubling the fleet size and doubling the workforce and maintenance facilities nothing can be done.

More like full at 25%.

With one bus where I was able to fully count the passengers, there were 15 passengers on board and the bus was drop-off only. That’s probably closer to 20% if you include standing room.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#164 UserofVic

UserofVic
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:43 AM

More like full at 25%.

With one bus where I was able to fully count the passengers, there were 15 passengers on board and the bus was drop-off only. That’s probably closer to 20% if you include standing room.

Just to be clear that wasn't a Victoria bound Cowichan Valley Commuter route right? Those are always drop off only, and actually say "drop off only" on every trip, while every full bus I've seen says "sorry bus full." It's possible the driver put it in a different code than normal though, they sometimes put it up if bus bunching gets bad and one bus needs to make up time while another follows close enough behind, so the option's there.

I'll say that with the timeline of construction alone, it's not unlikely things might return to a less distanced world by the time this is completed. Or at least I really hope they do.

Edited by UserofVic, 03 June 2020 - 08:59 AM.

#165 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:59 AM

Just to be clear that wasn't a Victoria bound Cowichan Valley Commuter route right? Those are always drop off only, and actually say "drop off only" on every trip, while every full bus I've seen says "sorry bus full." It's possible the driver put it in a different code than normal though, they sometimes put it up if bus bunching gets bad and one bus needs to make up time while another follows close enough behind, so the option's there.

It was a #2. And sorry, it did say full, not drop-off-only, but I saw a couple of exasperated people at a stop waving as the bus drove by and just referred to it as drop-off-only. Moments later I saw a #14, and one more route which I can't remember. It wasn't even the peak rush, but 1PM or thereabouts.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#166 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:02 AM

It's interesting how we have telecoms pursuing development projects. Vancouver's Shaw Tower was the first big project, followed by TELUS Gardens in Vancouver, then TELUS Sky in Calgary.

And didn't Bell have a tower at Bentall Centre in Vancouver, B5 I think it's called now?

Know it all.

#167 UserofVic

UserofVic
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:06 AM

It was a #2. And sorry, it did say full, not drop-off-only, but I saw a couple of exasperated people at a stop waving as the bus drove by and just referred to it as drop-off-only. Moments later I saw a #14, and one more route which I can't remember. It wasn't even the peak rush, but 1PM or thereabouts.

Ah ok, I was thinking it's probably a Vic-system route, but gotta kill off all the possible leads first you know? It doesn't help that weekday service is now modified Saturday service reducing the frequency of some routes, though I'm not sure if the 2 drops has worse midday frequency or if it's all in rush hour and evening/night service levels. Regardless you're absolutely right that capacity is down across the system, and that's gonna be a problem if everyone works before social distancing ends.

#168 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:50 AM

Lots of people are choosing to drive for the time being, and gas is relatively dirt cheap, so we’re not yet seeing the full impact on the transit system.

Anyways, I didn’t mean to highjack this thread.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#169 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:51 AM

It's interesting how we have telecoms pursuing development projects. Vancouver's Shaw Tower was the first big project, followed by TELUS Gardens in Vancouver, then TELUS Sky in Calgary.

And didn't Bell have a tower at Bentall Centre in Vancouver, B5 I think it's called now?

when the government actively stifles competition in a certain sector (banks, telco, airlines, dairy) its amazing how much extra cash floats around for non-core activities and advertising.

#170 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:44 AM

Any word or rumours out there on the number of storeys?  I believe that Vancouver is 54 floors and Calgary is 60.  However, both of those buildings are in taller cities and have a residential component.  I suspect that if it is going to be an iconic building, Telus would want some height for visibility?

Welcome to VV!

No details on the number of floors just yet, but we can expect something in the 10-storey range. 250 employees is not a particularly large volume of people (think four double deckers-worth of people).

Know it all.

#171 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:51 AM

Welcome to VV!

No details on the number of floors just yet, but we can expect something in the 10-storey range. 250 employees is not a particularly large volume of people (think four double deckers-worth of people).

FWIW, the maximum building height identified in the DCAP is 45 m. That said, they've got the Empress and conference centre across the street, so the relationship between those buildings and this property will likely play into the height discussion.

#172 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:54 AM

...the maximum building height identified in the DCAP is 45 m. That said, they've got the Empress and conference centre across the street, so the relationship between those buildings and this property will likely play into the height discussion.

Which means it likely won't be anywhere near the maximum height.

#173 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 02:07 PM

“The fact that Telus, which is British Columbia’s largest private sector employer, is making such a big investment in downtown Victoria is a strong sign of our economic recovery,” Mayor Lisa Helps told a news conference.

https://www.timescol...rden-1.24145283

what nonsense.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 June 2020 - 02:12 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#174 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 02:14 PM

“The fact that Telus, which is British Columbia’s largest private sector employer, is making such a big investment in downtown Victoria is a strong sign of our economic recovery,” Mayor Lisa Helps told a news conference.

https://www.timescol...rden-1.24145283

what nonsense.

Of course it is nonsense. Telus will likely be selling off the buildings they are vacating, does that mean that they now don't believe in Victoria's economic recovery and want out?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#175 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 02:22 PM

“The fact that Telus, which is British Columbia’s largest private sector employer, is making such a big investment in downtown Victoria is a strong sign of our economic recovery,” Mayor Lisa Helps told a news conference..."

what nonsense

Does the fact that the deal has been in the works for 3 years mean the CoV anticipated the current pandemic-related economic issues? 

Helps will say just about anything and of course her lap dogs will eat it up.

#176 kungfucious

kungfucious
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 02:39 PM

Does the fact that the deal has been in the works for 3 years mean the CoV anticipated the current pandemic-related economic issues?

hahhahah!  excellent point Nparker!    what a load of crap.  i especially liked that bit she said about how their stupid name of Telus Ocean complements perfectly with victoria 3.0's goal of growing the ocean economy.

uh....... WHAT! ? ! ?

https://www.youtube....eature=emb_logo

(the BS starts at about 10:25)

Edited by kungfucious, 03 June 2020 - 02:47 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#177 kungfucious

kungfucious
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 02:46 PM

In context

attachicon.gifApex2.JPG

oh.... and fwiw, i think building something in a neo-colonial style like this looks perfectly awesome.  the image is obviously not to scale, but i think the idea/theme of that design is great.  i certainly dont like and fear that the final design is going to be some futuristic, landmark, architect's tribute legacy gift like the royal bank building or the volvo dealership or...  'barf'  

just curious on another thought:  does this mean telus will be vacating their premises on johnson and blanshard after they move in?

#178 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 03:19 PM

hahhahah!  excellent point Nparker!    what a load of crap.  i especially liked that bit she said about how their stupid name of Telus Ocean complements perfectly with victoria 3.0's goal of growing the ocean economy.

uh....... WHAT! ? ! ?

I thought that was hilarious too. Perhaps the cafe they plan to lease space to will serve seafood!

#179 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 03:22 PM

oh.... and fwiw, i think building something in a neo-colonial style like this looks perfectly awesome.  the image is obviously not to scale, but i think the idea/theme of that design is great.  i certainly dont like and fear that the final design is going to be some futuristic, landmark, architect's tribute legacy gift like the royal bank building or the volvo dealership or...  'barf'  

just curious on another thought:  does this mean telus will be vacating their premises on johnson and blanshard after they move in?

Telus has said that they will be consolidating their Victoria staff and vacating their existing buildings. Nice that we are getting a new building out of this but all of the hype around growing the tech sector and belief in Mayor Helps' vision for Victoria is all BS. Given that in all likelihood most of Telus' employees are working from home for the foreseeable future, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this project delayed or modified. 

#180 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 June 2020 - 03:50 PM

uh....... WHAT! ? ! ?

https://www.youtube....eature=emb_logo

(the BS starts at about 10:25)

FWIW, the "Ocean Futures Cluster" forms part of the Draft Victoria 3.0 plan, which was released in January this year. So while possibly a bit of word soup, she's not pulling the idea out of thin air.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users