#21401 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 02:48 PM

Vehicle crash on East Sooke Rd leads to criminal investigation

Sooke

2024-03-22 

File # 2024-1163

On March 22, 2024, Sooke RCMP responded to the intersection of Yates Rd and East Sooke Rd in Beecher Bay for a report of a single motor vehicle collision. Upon arrival, police located one injured woman believed to be an occupant of the crashed vehicle. Officers learned that the male driver had fled the scene prior to police arrival. Based on initial evidence obtained, a criminal investigation was launched and the woman was arrested.

Police further received another report that a local security guard was attacked nearby and their truck was stolen. As police patrolled in the area, an officer located the stolen truck who had subsequently crashed down an embankment. The driver of the vehicle, believed to be the driver of the initial vehicle that crashed, was arrested and taken into custody for a variety of offences, including theft of vehicle and assault with a weapon.

As police were dealing with the woman at the first collision scene, information was learned that an explosive device, associated to the woman was present. Due to the unknown nature of that explosive device, Sooke RCMP contacted the RCMP Explosive Disposal Unit for their assistance and the safe removal of that device.

East Sooke Rd was closed to traffic to allow for the investigation to take place. The two crashed vehicles were towed and seized for forensic analysis. Both individuals, an adult man and adult woman are currently in custody as the investigation continues.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Sooke RCMP at 250-642-5141

Released by

Cpl. Alex Bérubé
District Advisory NCO (Media Relations)
Island District

#21402 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 03:34 PM

"The gun went off’

The security guard whose truck was stolen, who asked not to be named, says she was called to attend the crash scene until police arrived.

“Upon arrival to the scene, I found out that the driver of the vehicle had fled and took off into the bush here in the Nation. So I drove to see if I could find what direction he went to inform the police,” the Scia’new security supervisor told CHEK News

She says she found the man trying to enter a home.

“I confronted him and asked him if he was the driver of the vehicle that just was in an accident, and he said to me that he was not and that he had been dropped off by a friend. Once I saw that the members did not want to allow him into their home, I directed him that he needed to leave the community,” the security supervisor said.

After the man left, the security supervisor returned to check on the woman, who told her she had been held hostage against her will. She then went back to see if she could find the man.

She found him trying to break into another resident’s home, and there was an altercation that he fled from.

“He demanded my vehicle. At first I was like, ‘I’m not giving you my truck,’ was like, get bent in not so polite terms, and then that’s when he pulled out the gun,” she said.

“He hit me with the butt of the gun two times in the face and punched me once and while I was trying to fight him off and get my seatbelt off to vacate the vehicle the gun went off, and I heard glass smash on the passenger side of my vehicle.”

She says she got out of the vehicle, covered in blood. Her son, who was with her, helped her out and called 911.

She was brought to the hospital, where she got some stitches and a CT scan. She says she has a fracture on her face and she will have to see a plastic surgeon.

“I’m feeling like I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but also feeling like had I not been there something worse could have happened to the female passenger from the first accident,” she said.

“So I’m grateful that I was able to intervene there but upset that I received the injuries that I did.”

Morehttps://www.cheknews...ctions-1196231/

#21403 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,753 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 07:25 AM

Nothing good is going on at 3AM, we have to start with that.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#21404 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,466 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 07:56 AM

Martel:

To date the receiver has found no proof the loans ever existed.

PwC believes there are other investors who have not yet come forward and anticipates more than 1,300 investors could be tied up in the scheme, which it estimates involves nearly $300 million.

To date, the receiver has recovered only a small fraction of that.

Martel’s whereabouts are unknown. Warrants for Martel’s arrest have been issued in Canada and the U.S.

The B.C. Securities Commission is also investigating.

https://www.timescol...x-bills-8498350

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 March 2024 - 07:56 AM.

#21405 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,753 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 08:23 AM

Again, what was the network in place, that funneled people towards Martel, and who was behind it? That’s who the press should be focusing on. Not once have I read anything about the chain of referrals, and you can bet there were referrals.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#21406 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,466 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 08:27 AM

I think in a typical Ponzi scheme where nobody is capped the referrals come from others “invested”. If you are making 15% returns, and you referring your friends, family, neighbours or co-workers, with no harm to your own investment, then that word spreads fast. And one of the tricks he used here was what for all intents and purposes looked like a legitimate long-term brokerage, before he went bad much more recently.

#21407 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,466 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 08:31 AM

Use this handy Ponzi scheme calculator to see how long things can last:

https://securitiesan...ponzicalculator

#21408 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,466 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 08:34 AM

What I don’t understand is that he said he was innocent of any wrongdoing. But now has taken a quite extended vacation without leaving anyone his contact information.

If you were innocent you’d think he’d stick around and work through the paperwork with the receiver.

Looks like he got sone bad travel advice from his travel agent.

#21409 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,466 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 06:13 AM

A Victoria mother who has been fighting to reopen an investigation into her daughter’s death is disappointed charges won’t proceed against those she believes are responsible for the teen’s death in 2021.

Tracy Sims put together a 45-page package of evidence including text messages and social media posts that she believes shows two people were criminally involved in the death of her daughter, Samantha ­Krysia Sims-Somerville. The allegations include administering a noxious substance and being party to administering a noxious substance.

Sims-Somerville was 18 when she died from a toxic combination of alcohol and a date-rape drug after attending a party at an apartment on Yates Street on April 9, 2021. She and her friend Brooklyn Friese were rushed to hospital from the party. Friese was on life support but survived a near-fatal overdose of GHB and Rohypnol.

Both the doctor in the ICU and the police initially told Sims they suspected foul play in her daughter’s death, but Victoria police closed their investigation without recommending charges in September 2022.

Sims believes her daughter was murdered and has been fighting ever since for justice. She believes the two young women were recruited by a mutual friend, invited to a party with older men they didn’t know, and drugged with lethal doses of GHB. ­Several of the men who were there that night are known to police.

She presented her information and swore charges against two people as a private citizen to a justice of the peace, said lawyer Donald McKay, who is helping Sims.

But she received an email this week from the B.C. Prosecution Service saying they had decided to stay the proceedings because the case did not meet the required standard of a substantial likelihood of conviction based on the evidence and being in the public interest.

McKay said the decision is premature, given that the B.C. Coroners Service recently ­reopened an investigation into Sims-Somerville’s death and the Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner is investigating the actions of the three police officers involved in the case.

“There’s more information yet that they haven’t considered,” he said.

Sims went through an ­uncommon process of ­swearing charges as a private citizen, effectively bypassing police, McKay said, but he has seen clients succeed in the past in this way, generally in situations where police have declined to recommend charges.

https://www.timescol...ivately-8501606

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 March 2024 - 06:13 AM.

#21410 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,753 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 09:06 AM

I think in a typical Ponzi scheme where nobody is capped the referrals come from others “invested”. If you are making 15% returns, and you referring your friends, family, neighbours or co-workers, with no harm to your own investment, then that word spreads fast. And one of the tricks he used here was what for all intents and purposes looked like a legitimate long-term brokerage, before he went bad much more recently.

That’s a great idea.

We don’t know what connection the investors have to each other. The press isn’t bothering to find out.

Know it all.

#21411 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 05:58 PM

‘He’s a zombie:’ court hears detailed facts of murder at Nanaimo coffee shop

Mar 25, 2024 

NANAIMO — On Monday, March 25 in BC Supreme Court in Nanaimo James Carey Turok, 32, pleaded not guilty to second degree murder in connection to the death of Eric Kutzner.

The 79-year-old Kutzner was stabbed 12 times by Turok on the morning of Saturday, Feb. 12, 2022 at the since-closed Buzz Coffee House on Rutherford Rd.

turok.png
James Turok

At question is whether Turok is criminally responsible for the random stabbing attack, amid considerable evidence suggesting his mental health was compromised at the time.

A judge is hearing evidence this week to determine whether Turok’s case will proceed to trial or if he’ll be found not criminally responsible and be admitted indefinitely to the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital in Port Coquitlam.

Crown prosecutor Basil McCormick outlined the agreed statement of facts, telling court just prior to the stabbing, Turok’s car was found abandoned on Aulds Rd. near Metral Dr. after it crashed into a median.

Nanaimo RCMP attended the scene, identified the car as Turok’s and went to his home on Metral Dr. near Mostar Rd., however he wasn’t there.

Across the Island Hwy., Kutzner had arrived at Buzz Coffee House about an hour-and-a-half prior to opening for customers at 9 a.m.

Turok used the side door to enter and had a brief interaction with Kutzner, before Turok stabbed him 12 times in the chest, neck and head with the use of at least one knife in the café.

At 8:45 a.m., two colleagues arrived to work where they noticed through the window the blood-soaked legs of Kutzner, while they saw an unknown male inside walking around and dripping blood onto the floor.

Turok unlocked, then re-locked the business, with the colleagues noticing his “wild, crazy eyes,” McCormick said.

Nanaimo RCMP were called, who arrived on scene to find Turok hiding under a desk adjacent to the kitchen. Nobody else else besides Turok and the fallen Kutzner were inside.

(The victim) was lying in the back of Buzz Coffee House with substantial blood loss, and was found with a white rag stuffed in his mouth and still wearing the oven mit and chef’s hat he had on prior to the attack.

Screenshot 2024-03-25 18.43.23.png
Kutzner was awarded the Governor General’s Caring Canadian Award in 2016

Turok then physically resisted police, kicking and grabbing at an officer when he was told he was under arrest for murder.

A taser was deployed twice on Turok in an effort to get him under control.

Turok then shouted “he’s a zombie, he’s a zombie”, referring to Kutzner. During the arrest, Turok declared he wasn’t guilty, adding ‘it is negative to my reality.”

Once lodged in cells, Turok was observed pacing around, then engaged in self-harm by headbutting and shoulder charging walls, as well as tossing himself off a ledge to the concrete floor four times.

On the way to hospital Turok told paramedics that he felt he was going crazy and claimed to be a genius assisting Elon Musk.

“He was a bag of puss or a bag of parasites, I killed that man, but he wasn’t a human, he was a parasite, so he’s not a living thing.”

Turok claimed he was a healer, leader of this country and that his actions were the result of actions by Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“Zombies came at me, that’s why I had to kill that guy, that was a zombie, so how could I kill somebody that isn’t human? How could I consider killing something that in a sense is something that’s death, so it’s not human so it didn’t die.”

Turok’s legal team presented expert testimony from forensic psychiatrist Dr. Andrew Kolchak, whose background includes diagnosing and assessing mental disorders.

Dr. Kolchak said he believes Turok was actively psychotic at the time and and his ability to act rationally was completely compromised.

“He likely was in a state of heightened perception of threat and also likely misinterpreted the actions of the victim at the time.”

He added Turok wasn’t taking prescribed anti-psychotic medication for a year-and-a-half up leading up to the fatal incident.

#21412 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 06:41 PM

‘Misunderstanding’ sparked fight, viral video at Cowichan Aquatic Centre, says partner

Mar. 25, 2024

North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP is investigating an incident at the Cowichan Aquatic Centre over the weekend that one family involved says started with a misunderstanding.

A video of part of the incident that took place on March 23 around 6:30 p.m. has been circulating online, which starts with women confronting a man and asking why he was in the women’s change room.

“I could identify as a lady with a beard, there’s nothing you can do about that,” the man in the video says.

Screenshot 2024-03-25 19.25.45.png

Soon after, a verbal argument between the two families takes place, before a different woman walks up and hits the cell phone several times.

The video goes black for a few seconds but arguing and children screaming and crying can be heard. After a few seconds, three people can be seen fighting and grabbing each other before the video abruptly ends.

Jupitor Butler, who lives on Salt Spring Island, was visiting the aquatic centre with her partner, Natus, and a neighbour. Butler says she planned to go into the family change room, but when her neighbour went into the women’s change room with her four kids, Butler’s three kids all followed the neighbour.

Screenshot 2024-03-25 19.29.09.png

“So I was like, okay, they’re all running in there, and they already started changing into their bathing suits and stuff, but Natus, my partner, he hadn’t come in yet. He was still outside, and I have his swim shorts,” Butler told CHEK News.

“And I also needed his help, because he’s the dad of our family, and so that’s what ended up happening is that he came into the woman’s this one time, he’s never come into the woman’s change room with us ever before.”

Butler says Natus changed in the bathroom stall both when the family was entering the pool and after they got out. The person who posted a video of an altercation claims her partner was naked in front of children, which Butler is adamant did not happen.

After Natus had changed and left the change room, Butler says two women approached her and asked why he had been in the change room. She says she explained what happened, and then when they started getting aggressive, Natus heard what was happening and went back to see what was going on.

“He has mental health issues, so we didn’t want him to get triggered and go into a loop where, you know, he was just really stressed out. So she [the neighbour] was trying to protect him, so she smacked the phone out of the woman’s hand.”

That interaction was caught on video, which is now circulating online. It begins with Natus saying he “could identify as a lady with a beard.” Butler says this isn’t the case, and that Natus is a man.

After the phone was hit out of the woman’s hand, Butler says Natus put his hand between the two women but was also holding his baby daughter at the time. She says at this point, the woman turned to him and pushed him into the wall, which resulted in the baby hitting her head on the wall.

“Instincts took over. I jumped. I grabbed the top of her hair, and I just put her in like a headlock, and I held her there, and I told her, ‘You need to stop, and I’m not going to like go until I know that you’re done, you say you’re done, and you walk away,’ and she said, ‘I’m done. I’m done. I’m done,'” said Butler.

A planned “Safe Spaces” rally is scheduled for Tuesday outside the aquatic centre.

Screenshot 2024-03-25 19.27.47.png

More: https://www.cheknews...artner-1196673/

• Matt R. likes this

#21413 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,973 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 07:02 PM

Jupitor. Natus. 'nuff said.

• Matt R., max.bravo and Mike P. like this

#21414 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 10:10 PM

Waiting for VW to find a link to the video. This should be good.

#21415 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 10:29 PM

Waiting for VW to find a link to the video. This should be good.

https://play.zype.co...de1720001d30344

• Matt R. likes this

#21416 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,166 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 10:42 PM

Jupitor. Natus. 'nuff said.

Salt springers, of course. When I started working here, we had a cook from Mexico who would just shake his head and say “why can’t people just be normal here.”

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=HTDkqxaWH80

This isn’t the video, just a short documentary about life here.

Edited by Matt R., 25 March 2024 - 10:45 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#21417 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,466 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 05:06 AM

Honestly. I don’t even get the idea of swimming in a public pool. I understand at the holiday resort. Or in summer at your outdoor condo pool. But not with a bunch of weirdos at the local indoor municipal pool.

I haven’t swam in a public pool for decades. For all I know, I might not even float anymore.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 March 2024 - 05:08 AM.

#21418 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 04:42 PM

Screenshot 2024-03-26 17.40.50.png

#21419 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 04:52 PM

Wednesday search in Gorge area related to Monday shooting: police

Saanich police and the Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team executed a search warrant in the Gorge area Wednesday night in connection with a Monday shooting that sent a man to hospital.

The search was in the 800-block of Cowper Street, which runs off Admirals Road.

Saanich’s Major Crime Unit continues to investigate the shooting.

News of the search followed several social-media posts about a significant police presence Wednesday night in the Gorge/Tillicum area, along with a report of three loud bangs about 11 p.m.

UPDATE | MALE SUFFERING GUNSHOT WOUND

March 26, 2024

File No. 24-4382

On March 11, 2024, Saanich Police began an investigation after a male attended a local hospital suffering from a gunshot wound. We can now say that the incident leading to his injury occurred on private property, is isolated, and there is no risk to the public.

Jason Hallman | Communications Advisor

#21420 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 05:42 PM

Good to know that if a shooting occurs on private property that there is no risk to the public

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users