The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21591 replies to this topic

#10801 Islander87

Islander87
  • 8 posts
  • LocationDowntown

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:02 PM

I'm sure with some digging into their past there's plenty more of that sort of behaviour.  Unfortunate to hear the wife's gone, would be interesting to see who would blame whom for the deed...  

Greed always catches up with you in the end!

#10802 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:12 AM

machete house for sale

https://www.vicnews....ale-in-oak-bay/

#10803 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:08 PM

Victoria was ranked 30th worst city for crime (overall) in Canada.

Vancouver was 35th.

https://www.macleans...ngerous-places/

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#10804 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:01 PM

Victoria was ranked 30th worst city for crime (overall) in Canada.

Vancouver was 35th.

https://www.macleans...ngerous-places/

We made #15 for assault.

#10805 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:18 AM

Looks like someone smashed a few of the glass panels of the new Tudor House Liqour Store last night. There are pics on their Facebook page
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#10806 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:52 AM

Looks like someone smashed a few of the glass panels of the new Tudor House Liqour Store last night. There are pics on their Facebook page

mixed messages here:

Tudor House Liquor Store posted to social media that they suspect vandals caused great damage their front entrance windows.

Victoria Police say there was no break in and no criminal offence and that it appears it was more of a building/structural issue.

On Sunday around 11 a.m. staff said the shop was open, on social media the company said “it may look a bit different for some months though,”

“We will hopefully find out who did this,” they added.

They are asking anyone with information on who may be responsible to contact Victoria police or Crimestoppers.

https://www.cheknews...ernight-528897/

call crimestoppers about a structural issue?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 January 2019 - 11:53 AM.

#10807 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:55 AM

mixed messages here:

https://www.cheknews...ernight-528897/

call crimestoppers about a structural issue?

I think they are saying it wasn’t a robbery just vandals? I don’t see how that could be a structural issue

#10808 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:59 AM

I think they are saying it wasn’t a robbery just vandals? I don’t see how that could be a structural issue

Victoria Police say there was no break in and no criminal offence and that it appears it was more of a building/structural issue.

#10809 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:10 PM

You look at that structure and it is two storeys of sidewalk-to-roof glass. If the foundation were to shift just a fraction of an inch...

I wish our resident window expert VHF were here.

• martini and Victoria Watcher like this

#10810 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:12 PM

BREAKING: Esquimalt liquor store vandalized overnight

Glass structure severely damaged

https://www.vicnews....ized-overnight/
  • Matt R. likes this

#10811 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 04:15 PM

You look at that structure and it is two storeys of sidewalk-to-roof glass. If the foundation were to shift just a fraction of an inch...

I wish our resident window expert VHF were here.

This happens randomly to the glass panels of my building. About once a year a walkway panel will just shatter.

#10812 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 06:24 PM

i imagine it isn't a break in if the person or persons who broke the glass didn't go IN to the business or take anything.. there has to be some sort of security video that just has not been released yet showing someone breaking the glass (if it didn't break on it's own that is) they would be foolish not to have security cameras at the front of the store running at all hours

#10813 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 06:59 PM

Now the TV news is saying they found bolts inside so they think it's a slingshot.

• martini likes this

#10814 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 534 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 08:22 PM

What a strange choice to use for such a large entrance feature in a liquor store.  Beautiful but risky.  Months to fix?  WOW, what were they thinking during the design process?

• martini and pennymurphy2000 like this

#10815 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 08:47 PM

Now the TV news is saying they found bolts inside so they think it's a slingshot.

to be honest i wouldn't be surprised if it was an item shot through a sling shot to break the panels, it looked like it was many of the upper panels that were broken which wouldn't be the easiest thing to do with an item in a person's hands(like a baseball bat), and it was most likely a form of safety glass designed to be on the stronger side vrs regular glass what could probably add to the time it takes to get replacement glass

Edited by Midnightly, 27 January 2019 - 08:48 PM.

#10816 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:44 AM

Victoria police spokesman Const. Matt Rutherford said the damage was “initially thought to be structural, but on further inspection this morning, evidence was located that would suggest it was mischief.”
Police are urging anyone with information about the vandalism to call them.
Management said five panels of glass were broken and the custom-made pieces could take months to replace.
The store is covered by several surveillance cameras and footage has been handed over to police, managers said.

https://www.timescol...malt-1.23613972

#10817 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 January 2019 - 06:23 AM

I'll believe that it's vandalism when they release the video of the vandals actually breaking the glass.

With two dozen apartments and condos right across the street, the noise of the breaking of 5 panels of glass would be substantial, and the concept of somebody standing on the sidewalk in full view with a slingshot and shooting out 5 separate panes of glass, while not impossible, could seem somewhat suspect.

For now, I'll continue to suspect that it's more likely an unacknowledged structural issue than it is vandalism.

#10818 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 06:24 AM

The time frame released by the owners is odd too. 1:15 to 1:40.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 January 2019 - 06:25 AM.

#10819 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 01:12 PM

nothing like a cryptic police press release that leaves people asking more questions than it answers,

http://vicpd9.cloudh...pd.ca/node/2151

Officers were called shortly after 11:00 a.m. this morning to the 1100-block of Douglas Street after several bystanders had concerns regarding the actions of an unknown woman. The woman departed prior to police being able to attend and check on her wellbeing.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 January 2019 - 01:13 PM.

#10820 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:09 AM

🚔 Saanich Police issue update on deceased senior discovered in Rutledge Park - death not considered suspicious 🚔

Members of the Saanich Police Detective Division and the BC Coroners Service continue to investigate the death of a female who was found in Rutledge Park on January 28th, 2019.

Her identity has now been confirmed and her family notified of her death. She was a 62 year old resident of Saanich but did not live in close proximity to the park. The reason for her presence in the park is still under investigation, as is her cause of death, however it is not considered to be suspicious.

The BC Coroners Service is now conducting its fact-finding investigation to determine how she died, where, when and by what means. For privacy reasons, neither agency will be releasing nor confirming her identity.

Our condolences go out to her family and friends, and we thank those members of our community who stepped in to try and help this lady, and those who provided valuable information to aide our investigation.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

David Bratzer