Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21591 replies to this topic

#12741 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 03:21 PM

I have been told by several businesses that all of the local security firms are tapped out because they are so busy. It is very difficult to hire anyone these days.

#12742 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 03:34 PM

Indeed they are. I have a VP-level exec of a major national security chain in the family and let me tell you, if these guys were to go public they’d be making a fortune on the markets.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12743 IPH

IPH
  • 278 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:58 PM

The DIY crowd are going to start a run on composite softball bats at Kirby's!

#12744 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:24 PM

One Arrested As Investigation Into Burnside-Gorge Business Break and Enter Continues

Victoria, BC – One person is in custody as Patrol officers continue to investigate a break and enter to a Burnside Gorge business this morning.

Patrol officers were called to a business in the 600-block of Garbally Road just after 7:30 a.m. for a report of a break and enter. The business owner observed part of the incident remotely on surveillance video.

Patrol officers attended and spoke with one of the business owners on site and noted damage to the business. Officers were provided with a suspect image and began to search for that suspect.

A short time later, officers located that suspect in the 3000-block of Blanshard Street and took him into custody.

This file remains under investigation.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12745 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:39 PM

^According to Stephen Andrew it was the Dodd's Furniture warehouse on Garbally.

And I think by now we all know what the "3000 block of Blanshard" is.

Edited by Rob Randall, 28 July 2020 - 12:40 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#12746 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:49 PM

if only the hotels were more furnished. these crimes would end.
  • Nparker likes this

#12747 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:53 PM

It's weird, right? Especially at 7:30 am when the morning shift can arrive at any time. There are a lot more attractive businesses in that area unless his plan was just to rifle through the staff room for spare change.

I'm imposing complicated Ocean's Eleven planning on a criminal that likely has trouble putting his shoes on correctly.

#12748 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 02:24 PM

^According to Stephen Andrew it was the Dodd's Furniture warehouse on Garbally.

And I think by now we all know what the "3000 block of Blanshard" is.

Revenge against the Dodd's for speaking out, perchance?

As long as we have a mayor and council incapable of saying "crime is bad," others need to fill the void.
  • Love the rock, Midnightly, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#12749 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:30 PM

Where did you get this list? Nothing about these on VicPD's Twitter or any news outlets that I can see.

Four young people were taken into custody after a brawl in downtown Victoria on Saturday night.

Just before 11 p.m. on July 25, VicPD officers were called to the intersection of Douglas and View streets for reports of a fight. When they arrived they found a chaotic scene, with several youths involved. One youth was arrested after a brief foot chase. Knives were seized by the police.

https://www.vicnews....ths-in-custody/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 July 2020 - 04:30 PM.

#12750 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 06:20 PM

I don't know if false reports are up or down. What I do find strange is that such a spike in violent crime goes completely unreported by either VicPD or local media.

I belong to a Facebook group that reports it. This guy sits at home with his scanner and reports it as it comes in. Great way to know what’s really going on
  • Nparker and Lost password like this

#12751 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:50 AM

And there we have it. Don’t think VicPD issued a formal release about the brawl but I’ll check.

Dodd also said when police arrived at his building they refused to pursue the suspect who was getting away. He wasn’t apprehended until later on.
  • Victoria Watcher and Lost password like this

Know it all.

#12752 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:03 AM

Ah, here we go. No presser, no newzzz!

Four Youths Arrested, Officer Assaulted In Saturday Night Fight

Victoria, BC – Four young people were taken into custody and an officer was assaulted after Patrol officers responded to a large fight downtown Saturday night.

Just before 11 p.m. on Saturday, July 25th, Patrol officers were called to the intersection of Douglas and View streets for a report of a fight. When officers arrived, they discovered a chaotic scene, with several youths involved. Officers arrested one youth who fled the area after a brief foot pursuit. In total, four youths were arrested for their participation in the fight. Three youths sustained non-life-threatening injuries in the incident. Weapons, including knives were seized.

During his arrest, one of the youths began to fight with officers. He kicked and spat on officers several times. He was transported to cells where he again kicked and spat at officers. After being processed in cells, he was transported to hospital for assessment for non-life-threatening injuries sustained in the fight with the other youths.

The officer received non-life-threatening injuries during the assaults, but was able to complete their shift.

Officers are recommending several charges against various youths including charges for assault, assault with a weapon, obstruction and breaching of court-ordered conditions.

Know it all.

#12753 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:19 AM

“ breaching of court-ordered conditions.”

I’m getting so tired of this one....
  • Lost password likes this

#12754 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:35 AM

And because they’re youth, the system coddles them even further. Spitting at police, kicking at police, being chased by police. Nothing good comes from that level of disregard for the law at that young of an age.

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and Lost password like this

Know it all.

#12755 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:22 AM

I belong to a Facebook group that reports it. This guy sits at home with his scanner and reports it as it comes in. Great way to know what’s really going on

What's the name of the Facebook group?

#12756 GaryRanson

GaryRanson
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:41 AM

What's the name of the Facebook group?

The FB group is "WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED"

• Nparker, martini and Victoria Watcher like this

#12757 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:51 AM

The FB group is "WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED"

Funny, that's what I said right after the 2018 CoV election results.

• Mike K., martini, sebberry and 8 others like this

#12758 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:10 AM

^ :lol:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#12759 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:32 PM

Funny, that's what I said right after the 2018 CoV election results.

I was unable to speak during the subsequent several hours of sobbing and wailing.
  • martini and mbjj like this

#12760 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:41 PM

And lest someone thinks this thread is off topic, I firmly believe the 2018 CoV civic election results are a crime.  :cop:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)