• Please log in to reply
21602 replies to this topic

#16561 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 12:29 PM

VicPD has sent us the following, via Bowen Osoko:

“We are not able to confirm the information. VicPD has not supplied any documents, undertaking or otherwise, to a media outlet in relation to inquiries about this subject.

We believe survivors of sexualized violence. We take reports of sexualized violence seriously and want survivors to know that we will listen. For information on supports you can access please visit: vicpd.ca/webelieveyou.”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16562 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 12:47 PM

^ Well the Capital states they received the letter from Ms. Oye so that makes sense. I guess the next question is whether the officer should have provided her with the undertaking. According to the doc I posted it sounds like the complainant isn't entitled to a copy and even if she was I wonder if the fact that it referred to other complaints would change that.

#16563 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,249 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 01:12 PM

^ Well the Capital states they received the letter from Ms. Oye so that makes sense. I guess the next question is whether the officer should have provided her with the undertaking. According to the doc I posted it sounds like the complainant isn't entitled to a copy and even if she was I wonder if the fact that it referred to other complaints would change that.

if the undertaking contained a no-contact order for certain individuals would perhaps they be provided a copy?

article updated again:

The Victoria Police arrested local driving instructor and prominent media commentator Steve Wallace, according to Aiko Oye, one of his accusers. This move is the culmination of their investigation into several of sexual harassment and assault allegations made by former students and women which date back to the late 1970s, during Wallace’s time as a drivers education coordinator and teacher in Quesnel, BC.

https://www.capitald...-driving-school

also a copy of the undertaking has been posted to the article, redacted dates.  

some notes on section 271:

http://www.criminal-...sexual-assault/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 October 2021 - 01:24 PM.

#16564 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 01:21 PM

OBPD “File #2021-3070
On Saturday October 2nd, the Oak Bay Police received a theft report from a business in the 2200 block of Oak Bay Avenue. The suspect stole 8 packages of Gillette shaving razors valued at $160.00. The suspect was described as a Caucasian male approximately 50-60 years old, slim build, dark hair, wearing a navy-blue jacket and dark jeans. The suspect walked bent over at the waist. CCTV was available and police are attempting to identify the suspect”: https://oakbaypolice...-sept-27-oct-3/

Edited by todd, 04 October 2021 - 01:29 PM.

#16565 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,249 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 01:25 PM

OBPD “File #2021-3070
On Saturday October 2nd, the Oak Bay Police received a theft report from a business in the 2200 block of Oak Bay Avenue. The suspect stole 8 packages of Gillette shaving razors valued at $160.00. The suspect was described as a Caucasian male approximately 50-60 years old, slim build, dark hair, wearing a navy-blue jacket and dark jeans. 

the one piece of description we all wanted to know.  was he clean-shaven?   :banana:

or is it expected he is now?   :cop:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 October 2021 - 01:26 PM.

• todd likes this

#16566 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 01:29 PM

“The suspect walked bent over at the waist”

50 to 60 is pretty young to be bent over at the waist, wonder what else he had.

Edited by todd, 04 October 2021 - 01:33 PM.

#16567 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 01:29 PM

if the undertaking contained a no-contact order for certain individuals would perhaps they be provided a copy?

Could be but the synopsis of Ms. Oye's interaction with Wallace appears to be that she took one lesson where he said "he loved her" 15 times and touched her hand once when she felt it wasn't necessary. Unless she has stated additional concerns to VicPD then I can't see how that would be sexual assault. If that is the case then is she even one of the complainants listed.

#16568 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 01:52 PM

I believe it would be wise to wait a couple of days for the dust to settle and try to actually get some facts on this matter.

• Nparker likes this

#16569 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,249 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 01:56 PM

It clearly states that Wallace has been accused of sexual assault, nowhere does it state that he was arrested or charged.

I don't think that undertaking document ever gets printed up if he is not arrested first.  it directs him to see the bail supervisor today.  that would be the normal route following arrest and RoR.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 October 2021 - 01:56 PM.

#16570 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 02:00 PM

“The suspect walked bent over at the waist”

50 to 60 is pretty young to be bent over at the waist, wonder what else he had.

Funny, I have been noticing several individuals around the homeless shelters walking bent over at the waist and was wondering if it’s brought on by drugs use…

#16571 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 02:01 PM

I believe it would be wise to wait a couple of days for the dust to settle and try to actually get some facts on this matter.

Indeed… it would have been wise for Capital Daily to do the same.
  • Nparker likes this

#16572 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,249 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 02:09 PM

TC:

Victoria driving instructor Steve Wallace has promised to appear in provincial court next month on three counts of alleged sexual assault.

One of the alleged sexual assaults dates from 2011, the other two from 2021.

Wallace was not required to hand over his passport or post any money.

https://www.timescol...ults-1.24361992

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 October 2021 - 02:10 PM.

#16573 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 02:12 PM

Funny, I have been noticing several individuals around the homeless shelters walking bent over at the waist and was wondering if it’s brought on by drugs use…

I didn’t know until HB told us about what they do with a Kinder Surprise
  • Matt R. likes this

#16574 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 02:16 PM

TC:

Victoria driving instructor Steve Wallace has promised to appear in provincial court next month on three counts of alleged sexual assault.

One of the alleged sexual assaults dates from 2011, the other two from 2021.

Wallace was not required to hand over his passport or post any money.

https://www.timescol...ults-1.24361992

That is how real media organizations report news. 

#16575 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 02:29 PM

No reference to an arrest in the TC article.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16576 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,249 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 02:40 PM

i could be wrong.  but as i stated i am pretty sure you do not get that undertaking offer if there is no arrest.

• freedom_2008 likes this

#16577 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 04:26 PM

i could be wrong.  but as i stated i am pretty sure you do not get that undertaking offer if there is no arrest.

Yes, and an undertaking is entered into by the arrested as the condition to be released. 

Edited by freedom_2008, 04 October 2021 - 04:29 PM.

• m3m likes this

#16578 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,249 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 04:33 PM

Yes, and an undertaking is entered into by the arrested as the condition to be released. 

after an extensive search i certainly cannot find any instances of a person entering into an undertaking without being arrested.  that's the process, you get arrested.  there is no "easier" way for people to enter the process for serious crimes.

the article has been updated yet again:

According to the Victoria Police undertaking document—a document obtained by Capital Daily and which is usually given to someone after an arrest—Wallace is accused of three counts of sexual assault against multiple women. The incidents occurred between April 2011 and August 2021, police records say.

Wallace was released on his own recognizance Friday evening.

Wallace has not been formally charged by the BC Prosecution Service. The accusations listed in the undertaking document represent charges the police are recommending to Crown counsel. None of the allegations have been proven in court; he has a court date set for Nov. 25, and is prohibited from contacting the women named in the allegations against him.

Victoria Police and Wallace did not respond to multiple requests for comment or clarification on the weekend or Monday. Oye says the officer who signed the undertaking, Cst. Volk, told her Wallace was arrested and released on Friday.

On Monday afternoon, ICBC informed Capital Daily that it was permanently cancelling Wallace's driving instructor licence.

"Over the past several weeks, ICBC has taken direct statements from individuals who have made allegations of unconscionable conduct, including sexual harassment, against Mr. Wallace," a spokesperson wrote in an email. The email also says ICBC is also continuing its investigation into Wallace Driving School. Wallace has 30 business days to appeal the decision.

https://www.capitald...-driving-school

Vic News:

Victoria driving school instructor Steve Wallace has been arrested on allegations of sexual assault, documents obtained by Black Press Media show.

The Victoria Police Department and ICBC launched an investigation into Wallace in September after dozens of his driving school students shared allegations of sexual harassment against him on an Instagram page. The women, many of whom were teens at the time of the harassment and whose allegations stretch back to the 1980s, claim the now 72-year-old man took advantage of his position of power to inappropriately touch and speak with them while alone together in his instructing car.

The document obtained by Black Press Media is an undertaking notice, which, similar to a promise to appear, outlines the conditions an accused must comply with as part of their release from custody. Issued on Friday (Oct. 1) by the Victoria Police Department, this notice mandates that Wallace must attend court on Nov. 25 and cannot communicate with or go near any of the women named in the allegations against him until then. It also bars him from providing driving instruction to female clients without a third party present.

https://www.vicnews....sexual-assault/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 October 2021 - 04:57 PM.

#16579 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 05:24 PM

I didn’t know until HB told us about what they do with a Kinder Surprise

Something tells me I don’t want to know… sigh…
  • todd likes this

#16580 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 05:40 PM

i could be wrong. but as i stated i am pretty sure you do not get that undertaking offer if there is no arrest.

An arrest is for the purpose of taking someone into custody. If that person shows up at the police station and volunteers an undertaking are they still arrested?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users