Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21601 replies to this topic

#17221 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,857 posts

Posted 30 January 2022 - 06:55 PM

You don't recognize Tamara Tunie from Law & Order: SVU?

#17222 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,225 posts

Posted 30 January 2022 - 06:59 PM

I never liked the SVU one.

I'm also more CSI than L&O.  Even thought it's preposterous.

ustv-csi-immortality-finale-2.jpg?crop=0

15603886_4.jpg?v=8CFDDCC38A28090

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 January 2022 - 07:02 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#17223 JimV

JimV
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 30 January 2022 - 07:42 PM

Golden says human trafficking of young people of all genders — both from Vancouver Island and elsewhere in Canada — is actually quite common.

Makes me a bit sceptical of Mia’s analysis of the situation.

#17224 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 30 January 2022 - 09:44 PM

Customers thwart alleged shoplifter at Campbell River Walmart

Updated Jan. 30, 2022

A feisty senior is being praised on social media after a video showing her de-masking a possible shoplifter was posted on Facebook.

The incident happened Saturday afternoon around 12:45 at the Campbell River Walmart. Darrell Johansen, the person who posted the cellphone video, noticed a man attempting to leave the store with what Johansen believed was a shopping cart full of unpaid merchandise.

Johansen was asking the individual if he was going to pay for the merchandise when an elderly woman grabbed the balaclava the man was wearing and unmasked him. The two then prevented the man from leaving with the shopping cart.

campbell-river-walmart-1-5760290-1643506
Feisty senior takes on shoplifter

“I was utterly shocked,” Johansen says. “My first reaction was, ‘Oh no, I hope he doesn’t do anything to this woman because she’s in the way and he’s got a bike in one hand and a shopping cart in the other. She just jumped in, and man, I don’t know if she’s got kids, but I pretty much guarantee those kids grew up to be good young lads and girls.”

“It’s epidemic up here. I got about four steps into the store and I spot the guy right away. Something just said, ‘This guy’s gonna go,’” he says.

Constable Maury Tyre of Campbell River RCMP says police would like to commend the brave intentions of the individuals, but can’t recommend them as a regular course of action.

Morehttps://vancouverisl...lmart-1.5760283

#17225 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,225 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 02:12 AM

The shoplifting trends from California are showing up here, where loss prevention officers do not intervene.

Surely that also explains the guy stealing the huge TV from Walmart here.

#17226 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 03:59 AM

The shoplifting trends from California are showing up here, where loss prevention officers do not intervene.

Surely that also explains the guy stealing the huge TV from Walmart here.

sometimes it's not worth getting stabbed over

#17227 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,225 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 04:03 AM

sometimes it's not worth getting stabbed over

It's probably not.  But in the past security and loss prevention officers were hired for some physical characteristics and they could overpower most shoplifters.  Now anyone can become a security guard.

• Barrrister likes this

#17228 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,225 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 04:04 AM

Makes me a bit sceptical of Mia’s analysis of the situation.

Yes, this does not make too much sense.  

#17229 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 04:52 AM

Now anyone can become a security guard.

Hasn't that pretty much always been the case?

mall.png

• lanforod likes this

#17230 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,630 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 03:20 PM

The world we live in:

Chief Manak Statement On Video Of Officer At Weekend Protest

Victoria, BC – I've been made aware that an on-duty VicPD officer was seen giving a "thumbs up" from his vehicle at a protest at the BC Legislature on Saturday. When I first saw a video of this today, I initially viewed it with concern since impartiality and neutrality are key to serving our community as police officers. I have since spoken to the officer, who told me that he was responding to appreciative comments from citizens about VicPD's presence in ensuring public safety at this event.

As a police department, we attended 170 protests last year to keep the peace. While impartiality and neutrality are essential at these events, so is proactive engagement with protest participants and bystanders in the interest of public safety.
  • Barrrister likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17231 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,225 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 03:21 PM

OMG the thumbs up!

That’s an entry level sign. It only takes a few finger tweaks until he’s giving the white power / OK sign.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 January 2022 - 03:22 PM.

• Nparker, Matt R., lanforod and 3 others like this

#17232 m3m

m3m
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 06:34 PM

He was responding to appreciative comments from citizens? ... that he could 100% hear from his car when he was driving them at 20km/h past them?... with horns honking and drums beating and protesters yelling making it impossible to hear?... when the videos don't capture any of the appreciative comments? ...and he did so a second time, later, on the other side of the road to a different set of protesters? 

Who does Del Manak think we are with that statement? Superintendent Chalmers?

#17233 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,630 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 06:45 PM

Seems rather fitting, doesn't it?

Now you've got something in common with Dasmo.

• Matt R. and m3m like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17234 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 07:36 PM

From CHEK:

thumb.png

twit.png

#17235 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,630 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 07:47 PM

Always the Esquimalt Division with the hijinks, eh?

• Matt R. and pontcanna like this

Know it all.

#17236 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 08:38 PM

These people’s Twitter comments are so off base (I notice TV’s Stephanie Hardman is one of them).
Bigotry, violence and hatred? I was there. The people were smiling and super friendly to everyone.

Reminds me of being called a hater by the SJWs (who didn’t know me) because I dared complain about the crime brought on to the community by the court house tent city.

Have we reverted to a bunch of 10 year olds? The name calling is just so juvenile.
  • Nparker, phx and JimV like this

#17237 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 08:42 PM

He was responding to appreciative comments from citizens? ... that he could 100% hear from his car when he was driving them at 20km/h past them?... with horns honking and drums beating and protesters yelling making it impossible to hear?... when the videos don't capture any of the appreciative comments? ...and he did so a second time, later, on the other side of the road to a different set of protesters?

Who does Del Manak think we are with that statement? Superintendent Chalmers?

Actually I was there and I had tons of quick exchanges with people driving by in cars. Not a deep conversation but thank you’s are totally easy to understand.

#17238 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,630 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 08:52 PM

It was likely a fairly pro-law enforcement group on Saturday, no? People who see police as a necessary part of the social fabric. It is reasonable to assume that when a VicPD cruiser came by, they would be cheering and expressing positive remarks to the constable. The cop in question likely doesn’t get a great deal of thank-yous in the course of their daily duty, so they might have even taken it to heart and showed their appreciation with a little more zealousness.

Know it all.

#17239 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 09:53 PM

Exactly! And everyone was cheering, waving and giving thumbs up to everyone else. Totally makes sense that they would have thanked the police officers there.

Edited by A Girl is No one, 31 January 2022 - 09:57 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#17240 m3m

m3m
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 10:40 PM

You can speculate whatever you want, but at the end of the day Del Manak says that the officer was “responding to appreciative comments from citizens about VicPD's presence in ensuring public safety at this event”. He didn’t say the officer was returning friendly waves. He didnt say the officer was responding to cheers from the crowd.

It’s a lame response from Manak and does nothing to fix the optics of the VicPD not maintaining impartiality.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users