Photo

White males to pay more for Premiere of Victoria Comedy Series!

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#61 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

So why is it called "Justice Pricing" [implying the correction or battle over some sort of malfeasance] if this is simply an innocent case of price discrimination? 

#62 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:54 PM

Looks like pricing model has been updated:

From http://buildingthero...or/sidmohammed/

This has to be a parody.

Great, they have added segregated seating. This might actually all be a joke. So hard to tell.

#63 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:56 PM

Presumably the performers in the actual show will have been vetted in audition by the very same folks who came up with this insanely racist ticket pricing model ... and the brain that came up with that ticket pricing is [u]not the brain I want selecting the "comedians" onstage, and judging what is "funny" and what isn't funny...

It's film screening. Furthemore, it doesn't appear to be intended as a comedy film.

"Director Shiraz Higgins initially intended to create a documentary that shed light on both the behind-the-scenes of comedy show production and on the world of guerrilla marketing. What was intended to be a collaborative process between the director and the cast, a group of up-and-coming comedians, became a source of considerable conflict, strife and disillusionment. The director’s refusal to pay the cast after the completion of filming led to a civil lawsuit."

http://buildingthero...ning-announced/

#64 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 517 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

Looks like pricing model has been updated:

From http://buildingthero...or/sidmohammed/

This has to be a parody.

I tend to agree... especially when you look at the web site and see all the references to getting sued, guerrilla marketing, etc.  The web site has an anonymous domain name. There are no names of any cast members on the web site. The only name on the web site is Sid Mohammed and I can't find any other mentions of that name in connection with Victoria...

#65 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 517 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:09 PM

It's film screening. Furthemore, it doesn't appear to be intended as a comedy film.

"Director Shiraz Higgins initially intended to create a documentary that shed light on both the behind-the-scenes of comedy show production and on the world of guerrilla marketing. What was intended to be a collaborative process between the director and the cast, a group of up-and-coming comedians, became a source of considerable conflict, strife and disillusionment. The director’s refusal to pay the cast after the completion of filming led to a civil lawsuit."

http://buildingthero...ning-announced/

Here is some more about Shiraz Higgins, from an article in the Times-Colonist last year:

Shiraz Higgins was making plans for a career in law when he saw a film that radically changed his trajectory.

The film that kickstarted his change of heart and prompted his career as a filmmaker? Jackass 3D, of all things.

Higgins, now 26, was contemplating entering law school at the University of Victoria when the bone-breaking showcase of stuntmen and pranksters hit theatres in 2010, and while he recognized the sophomoric inanity of what he was seeing, Higgins — who could be found in the UVic library most nights — couldn’t help but be impressed by the stars’ bravura approach to life.

• Benezet likes this

#66 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:10 PM

This has to be a parody.

I'd call it forum-jamming :-)
  • todd likes this

#67 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:16 PM

cis·gen·der
sisˈjendər/
adjective

denoting or relating to a person whose sense of personal identity and gender corresponds with their birth sex.

Just so we all know this means that gay white men in reality would be required to pay the justice pricing. I am quite happy with the sex I was born, and most gay men are...

Ah, my mistake. Thanks for adding that.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#68 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:18 PM

There are no names of any cast members on the web site. The only name on the web site is Sid Mohammed and I can't find any other mentions of that name in connection with Victoria...

They appear in that TC article though:

Chelsea Lou as she develops a routine, while Building the Room documents five local comedians (Lou, Myles Anderson, Ben Fawcett, Shane Priestly and Shawn O’Hara

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#69 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:19 PM

Not interested in going through this thread to read opinions from people who don't understand the point behind equity pricing, so I'll just leave this here...

You don't have to buy tickets or attend the show if you disagree with the idea of "justice pricing".

• sidmohammed likes this
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#70 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:22 PM

^ Exactly.   And if my theatre sets prices for blacks at double the white price, well those African-Canadians can find some other theatre that'll charge them less I bet.  Or simply do not buy tickets or attend the show.  That's your right.

My theatres also charges foreigners more.  Please bring your passport for processing at the box office.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 18 September 2017 - 06:23 PM.

• LJ, qwerty and JamesBayRay like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#71 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:41 PM

Here is some more about Shiraz Higgins, from an article in the Times-Colonist last year:

Shiraz Higgins was making plans for a career in law when he saw a film that radically changed his trajectory.

The film that kickstarted his change of heart and prompted his career as a filmmaker? Jackass 3D, of all things.

Higgins, now 26, was contemplating entering law school at the University of Victoria when the bone-breaking showcase of stuntmen and pranksters hit theatres in 2010, and while he recognized the sophomoric inanity of what he was seeing, Higgins — who could be found in the UVic library most nights — couldn’t help but be impressed by the stars’ bravura approach to life.

http://www.jafsbc.com/board/

Edited by todd, 18 September 2017 - 06:41 PM.

#72 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:48 PM

Worked out great for bam margera and ryan dunn steve-o seemed okay forcibly saw him naked in victoria a few years back I told him it was a big mistake to ever idolize him; he seemed to agree.

Edited by todd, 18 September 2017 - 07:14 PM.

#73 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

The website continues to display the same pricing structure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#74 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:46 PM

Not interested in going through this thread to read opinions from people who don't understand the point behind equity pricing, so I'll just leave this here...

You don't have to buy tickets or attend the show if you disagree with the idea of "justice pricing".

Why is there a double standard when it comes to discrimination? If it was a minority or religion or women there would be an uproar and the pitchfork and torch crowd would be all over this. If you truly want an equal society then ALL examples of discrimination must be condemned equally
  • jonny likes this

#75 sidmohammed

sidmohammed
  • Banned
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:53 PM

We have been listening to your comments and are doing our best to adapt the model to best fit the needs of the community.

When: September 28, 2017

Where: Roxy Theatre

What: Screening of comedy series Building the Room

Suggested Price: $15 GA/ $10 discounted price (for people who are not Cisgender Hetero Able-Bodied White Males or Foreign Buyers (non-Canadian citizens))

In reaction to a considerable amount of public outrage as well as some support, we have decided to adapt the pricing scheme for the screening of building the room. Initially white cisgender males were expected to pay double ($20 as opposed to $10) for their tickets. It has been brought to our attention that this model of price discrimination should be adapted to avoid offending a large swath of the public.

Many people have also pointed the extent to which foreign nationals have contributed to the housing affordability crisis in Victoria and the Lower Mainland, compounding the economic hardship of marginalized groups.

We are proud to announce that we have lowered the price for White Cis-Straight Able-Bodied Males to $15, and will also apply this price to foreign buyers. Everyone else will pay a discounted price of $10.

We are also donating any profits from the door to both the Native Friendship Centre of Victoria,  and the Victoria Pride Society.

We hope that this adaptation is a satisfactory compromise that will quell the doubts about our pricing model.

A statement from the Director of Building the Room:

“There has been considerable backlash against the model. There are two things I’d like to say. One is that the death threats need to stop. That kind of behaviour doesn’t solve any problems. Two is that the cast, crew and venue have nothing to do with the pricing of this event. Justice Pricing does not reflect the views or desires of anyone else involved in this project. So please leave them alone.”

#76 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:10 PM

Clearly we need to put pressure on the venue. Send them an email or call, let them know how you feel.
Remember when some neighbours wanted to meet at a hotel to discuss what to do about tent city and the SJW brigade pressured the hotel into cancelling their reservation? Well let's do that
  • rjag likes this

#77 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:11 PM

No matter how they try to butter it up, and no matter how many "justice pricing" supporters remind us that "we don't have to go if we don't like it" ... doesn't change the fact that this bit of amateur guerrilla  marketing is a 100% sexist, ageist, borderline racist bit of business, and whether it's a joke or not, it's likely an easy win for anybody serious enough to file the complaint.

There's a cost for guerrilla marketing done poorly, and hopefully these chaps will pay it.

Edited by Cassidy, 18 September 2017 - 08:12 PM.

• jonny and David Bratzer like this

#78 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:20 PM

webpage is offline now. Use: http://webcache.goog...strip=1&vwsrc=0

#79 newbie_01

newbie_01
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:20 PM

Why is there a double standard when it comes to discrimination? If it was a minority or religion or women there would be an uproar and the pitchfork and torch crowd would be all over this. If you truly want an equal society then ALL examples of discrimination must be condemned equally

It's because they're after equality of outcome, not equality of opportunity, and the ends justify the means, no matter what.

#80 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:36 PM

What's the definition of "able-bodied"?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users