It has a whole new look!

#282 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

"The cause is under investigation"

How often do we hear this phrase in the media but never find out what the cause was? I've been waiting two years to find out what the cause of the fire that burned down the tool shed next door and woke me up at 5am was.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#283 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

A lot of people in Saanich have been hearing the rumbling after 5 pm today. It lasts nearly a minute each time and can be heard indoors. As discussed earlier the likely culprit is aircraft take-offs from Whidbey Island in Washington.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#284 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

A lot of people in Saanich have been hearing the rumbling after 5 pm today. It lasts nearly a minute each time and can be heard indoors. As discussed earlier the likely culprit is aircraft take-offs from Whidbey Island in Washington.

Yes, I've heard reports from Oak Bay too.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#285 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

The rumbling is happening right now if you want to go outside and listen for it.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#286 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,153 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:43 AM

What do you think the source of this "rumbling" is Holden?

#287 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:55 AM

^It's been established earlier that it's heavy fighter jets taking off from Whidbey Island and the sound wave ricochets off the atmosphere. I believe someone said this is the culprit.

#288 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

We fly almost identical jets out of Comox and nobody complains about that sort of mystery rumbling up there.

I heard the noise yesterday, whatever it was and wherever it was from. It's almost as though there's a massive excavation/drilling going on below the city.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#289 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

It's almost as though there's a massive excavation/drilling going on below the city.

Maybe that's why they're pushing so hard for sewage treatment. They've been building it for the last few years underground :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#290 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

ok..Here is another issue. And it's probably not just noise that is the issue, it's also pollution. This morning I am enjoying my morning coffee and Nationwide Carpet Cleaning pulls up their van to my neighbours house at precisely 8am. Yes, well within the legal limits of the noise bylaw. But do these vans have to make so much damned noise? I can understand building noise, landscaping noise etc etc. But the noise is so loud I can't even think straight! It permeates the entire neighbourhood.

Aren't there alternatives to this that could involve not causing so much noise?
Personally, I think that above a certain decibal for certain kinds of noise that don't include construction and landscaping you should have to get a permit.

There are also the pollution issues. What kind of chemicals are they using to extract the dirt? Are these companies flushing the dirty water into streams and rivers? I have a hard time believing that they carry around a big tank with them for the expired water. Even so, eventually it has to be poured into our water system somehow. And then how many times a day does this happen in the Victoria area? Some questions to ponder...

An excerpt about the environmental issues of moble carpet cleaning:

The process of mixing of detergent and water during the high pressure truck mount carpet cleaning process contaminates water a lot. In the first pace, there is so much water used compared to that needed by other carpet cleaning methods like low pressure or the oscillating pad.
The truck mount carpet cleaning technicians inject water into the carpet and extract dirty water from it. This dirty water collects into the unit's waste tank. Proper disposal of this waste water is essential for our environment.

Sanctions have been put in place to prevent improper dumping of waste water. However, there are high costs of appropriate disposal of dirty water make it a thing that is less observed. Many of the truck mount carpet cleaning in Calgary experts also find themselves with very little time to effectively dispose off the water.

http://articles.puba...265,137587.html

#291 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

I'm seeing tons of people on Facebook complaining about some sort of honking ship.

#292 ptolomeus

ptolomeus
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:22 AM

I'm seeing tons of people on Facebook complaining about some sort of honking ship.

A beacon / lighthouse maybe?

#293 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

Before modern navigational aids such as GPS existed you heard a lot more foghorns, but they don't "honk" they go Brrrr urrrrp, brrrr urrrrp.

#294 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

I heard it last night. Didn't sound like a foghorn. Different pitch and irregular rhythm. It was very loud.

#295 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

Maybe someone installed a car alarm on their boat?

#296 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

I know it comes from the base... that's about it.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#297 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 436 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

About 5:00 p.m. last evening they pulled a freighter into Ogden Point. I was in James Bay last night and heard both the noise "sessions". It definitely sounded like a ships horn of some sort, and sounded like it was coming from that direction. It was definitely a bizarre series of noises.

#298 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

This must be the culprit, then...

#299 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

You know it almost sounded like a warning horn. The kind you heard when you watched the video of the BC Ferry colliding into Horsehoe Bay.

#300 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

^Someone else on Facebook said that--short blasts followed by a long blast. A near miss I guess?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users