IMG_7723.gif
(simulation only)
  • Mike K. and Ismo07 like this

#102 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 15 November 2023 - 02:17 PM

Has anybody researched what these tests do when you’re behind the wheel? It scared the bejesus out of me, totally disorienting.

This has “what were we thinking” written all over it, when we look back 20 years from now.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#103 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 November 2023 - 02:29 PM

Has anybody researched what these tests do when you’re behind the wheel? It scared the bejesus out of me, totally disorienting.

This has “what were we thinking” written all over it, when we look back 20 years from now.

It's why we all have to drive 30kph now... 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 15 November 2023 - 02:58 PM

I swear a couple of cars in the oncoming direction had drivers staring into their cellphones, just after the alert rang out.

#dumbdumb

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#105 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 15 November 2023 - 03:05 PM

“What should I do if I receive an emergency alert on my wireless device while driving?

It is important to take action safely, especially if the emergency alert is received while operating a vehicle. If you are driving, it is important to remain calm and pull over at your earliest opportunity to view the emergency alert.”: https://support.aler...-while-driving-

#106 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 15 November 2023 - 03:48 PM

I was on a call (Bluetooth) making a left turn across traffic using my phone as a gps (dash mount) when it interrupted my call and took over my phone screen. Not ideal.

#107 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 15 November 2023 - 04:13 PM

Does the test really need to be done twice a year?

#108 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 November 2023 - 09:20 AM

I was on a call (Bluetooth) making a left turn across traffic using my phone as a gps (dash mount) when it interrupted my call and took over my phone screen. Not ideal.

Is a hands-free phone safer than a handheld phone?
Affiliations expand
Abstract

Introduction: Although it is becoming more and more accepted that driving while talking on a cell phone can be hazardous, most jurisdictions are making handheld phone use illegal while allowing hands-free phone use.

Methods: The scientific literature exploring the effects of these two types of cell phone use on driving and driving-related performance is reviewed here.

Results: Our review shows that talking on the phone, regardless of phone type, has negative impacts on performance especially in detecting and identifying events. Performance while using a hands-free phone was rarely found to be better than when using a handheld phone. Some studies found that drivers compensate for the deleterious effects of cell phone use when using a handheld phone but neglect to do so when using a hands-free phone.

Impact on industry: Current research does not support the decision to allow hands-free phone use while driving.

https://pubmed.ncbi....ands-free phone.

Anyone I have ever been a passenger of has had a noticeable change in their driving performance when engaged in a hands-free call.  

• Matt R. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#109 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 09:41 AM

^Interesting. I'd like to see a study comparing phone conversations to conversations with a passenger next to the driver. Isn't it possible that talking with a person physically present beside you is more distracting than talking to a mere voice in your ear?

#110 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 November 2023 - 12:00 PM

Both are going to be a distraction. The radio can be a distraction. Kids in the back will be a distraction. We can't remove all distractions for human drivers.

There are lots of things permitted that are distractions - though I believe you can get a ticket for any of them if you're acting too distracted.

• Matt R. likes this

#111 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 12:31 PM

Can you be ticketed for being distracted by an alert warning test?

#112 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 01:26 PM

That’s how they pay for the warning system.
  • aastra, Nparker, Matt R. and 2 others like this

#113 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 04:24 PM

It's all good as long as you're making the effort to be unsettled and anxious, as per the intention of it.

• Nparker likes this

#114 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 10:23 PM

^Interesting. I'd like to see a study comparing phone conversations to conversations with a passenger next to the driver. Isn't it possible that talking with a person physically present beside you is more distracting than talking to a mere voice in your ear?

The passenger in the car is in the same environment as the driver so would be more attuned to what is happening outside the vehicle, so if you suddenly stop talking they would realize why.

• sebberry and Matt R. like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#115 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 10:50 PM

Anyone I have ever been a passenger of has had a noticeable change in their driving performance when engaged in a hands-free call.

People even turn down the radio when they have more complicated maneuvers to do.
  • sebberry and max.bravo like this

#116 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 07:54 AM

Yeah, I had that situation happen to me once. I was on the phone and hit ice at speed on a highway. My car started going sideways, and I stopped talking to hyper focus on not losing control. Guy on the other end kept saying "hello, you there? Mike, you there, hello?" I cut the line. Called back several minutes later.

Know it all.

#117 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 08:13 AM

People even turn down the radio when they have more complicated maneuvers to do.

Ever tried finding an address with the radio blaring? Impossible.

• Ismo07 and lanforod like this

#118 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 November 2023 - 08:18 AM

Ever tried finding an address with the radio blaring? Impossible.

I think you're being facetious but there is some left-brain/right-brain battling going on there in these situations.  

#119 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 November 2023 - 09:14 AM

Yep, its quite common for folks to limit distractions deliberately when possible while driving. Unconsciously even. A good habit, IMO. 

#120 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 09:41 AM

Not facetious at all, we all do it when we need to concentrate extra hard with our eyes while driving.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users