PROPOSED
550 Pandora Avenue
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 550 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
550 Pandora Avenue is a proposal to redevelopment a single storey commercial building into a five-storey mixed... (view full profile)
Learn more about 550 Pandora Avenue on Citified.ca
Photo

[Chinatown] 550-558 Pandora Avenue | Residential, retail | Lowrise | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 02:58 PM

If the facade had bricks all the way from bottom to top it'd fit the surroundings a lot better. 

#42 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 03:32 PM

Thanks for sharing this information, Mike.  Do we know who the project developer is?

#43 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 05:26 PM

Ideally, I think every new building should have some aspect that says "look at me, I'm interesting because of...."

Materials, form/massing, colour, detail/ornamentation... something.

What do we gain by making the top one or two levels of these buildings so anonymous and generic? Why can't those levels be interesting, too?

• Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#44 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:05 PM

Chinatown and Harris Green are the two areas where no harm can come from letting loose, architecture-wise. 

I mean, Chinatown's weird in that it has a distinctive character. And anyone knows what I'm talking about when I mention "Chinatown architecture". But really it's the same Italianate style you see in any second-rate Old Town building, except with more recessed balconies and fire escapes. 

I don't think we've even been able to wrap our head around the concept of what a good modern infill Chinatown building should look like--recall the near decade-long struggle to build the CitiZen building on Fisgard.

#45 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:00 AM

Dev Tracker folder is up, but no details or drawings uploaded yet: https://tender.victo...Number=REZ00671

Edited by Jackerbie, 01 November 2018 - 10:00 AM.

#46 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:04 AM

Plans are now up! The developer is the Chinese Freemasons Housing Society. They are working with BC Housing to provide 36 affordable rental units.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Edited by Jackerbie, 01 November 2018 - 11:05 AM.

#47 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:10 AM

This needs more detailing at the ground level and at the top.

• Brantastic likes this

#48 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:56 AM

Vital stats of the proposal;

2 x retail units facing Pandora, 807 and 772 sf

9 x Studio, 384 and 440 sf

23 x 1 Bed, 476 - 494 sf

4 x 2 Bed, 870 & 883

5 Storey, 16.17m height

No car parking, only bikes.

It will have a 10ft basement space beneath the retail

#49 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:11 PM

I'm not sure why organizations in the region insist on using the most expensive pieces of land in the area for affordable housing. 

• tjv and songheesguy like this

#50 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:21 PM

I'm not sure why organizations in the region insist on using the most expensive pieces of land in the area for affordable housing. 

Apparently they've been holding the property for 24 years

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:23 PM

The retail units appear far too small for either of Habit or Mo:Lé to remain, unless one of them takes over both spaces?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#52 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:31 PM

Apparently they've been holding the property for 24 years

They could probably sell it and build twice as many affordable units outside of downtown.

• tjv likes this

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:11 PM

It's not that simple. By selling the property they then would have to buy another, and any land that is favourably zoned or which can be pursued for favourable zoning will command a very high price. The costs and effort to pursue an application could be lengthy and dramatic, and it wouldn't yield twice as many units (likely the same amount, perhaps even less).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#54 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:08 PM

The retail units appear far too small for either of Habit or Mo:Lé to remain, unless one of them takes over both spaces?

That would be too bad. As much as I think the building has very little to offer architecturally and is a poor use of space from a densification standpoint, those businesses are the life-blood of that block, imo. In fact, I'm drinking Habit Coffee right now. I can only hope they relocate to one of the vacant spaces in 595 or the Union.

#55 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:17 AM

Check out the new construction on top of this fantastic restoration project in Hamilton, ON:

http://skyscraperpag...3&postcount=293

Edited by aastra, 02 November 2018 - 09:18 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#56 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:55 AM

It's not that simple. By selling the property they then would have to buy another, and any land that is favourably zoned or which can be pursued for favourable zoning will command a very high price. The costs and effort to pursue an application could be lengthy and dramatic, and it wouldn't yield twice as many units (likely the same amount, perhaps even less).

True, but almost every candidate in the recent election said they wanted affordable housing.  I say sell this land so it can be properly developed and buy land in Rock Bay or somewhere else that's cheap and have it rezoned.  The candidates that I saw all said they were for affordable housing then its time to put up or shut up

I would buy the land in Rock Bay or where ever, put up a sign that says "coming soon 36 affordable homes" and then if council votes it down, put up another sign that says "the following councilors do not believe in affordable housing, we purchased cheap land and they said no".  Then list their full names, phone numbers, email addresses, etc followed by a full news media campaign.

Regardless, this location is no place for affordable housing

#57 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 02 November 2018 - 11:03 AM

They could probably sell it and build twice as many affordable units outside of downtown.

True, but almost every candidate in the recent election said they wanted affordable housing.  I say sell this land so it can be properly developed and buy land in Rock Bay or somewhere else that's cheap and have it rezoned.  The candidates that I saw all said they were for affordable housing then its time to put up or shut up

I would buy the land in Rock Bay or where ever, put up a sign that says "coming soon 36 affordable homes" and then if council votes it down, put up another sign that says "the following councilors do not believe in affordable housing, we purchased cheap land and they said no".  Then list their full names, phone numbers, email addresses, etc followed by a full news media campaign.

Regardless, this location is no place for affordable housing

We don't know what the owner's motivation is, or what their priorities are. Remember, this is the Chinese Freemasons Housing Society. Having a location in Chinatown is likely very high on their checklist. I would imagine that the intent is for this development to be for seniors, given that it is a largely 1BR and studio development with no parking. The priority may not be quantity of housing units, but rather an amenity-rich location for senior members of the Society.

#58 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:36 PM

Is this project still moving forward?  Dev Tracker has been silent on this proposal since early November 2018...

#59 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:45 PM

Is this project still moving forward?  Dev Tracker has been silent on this proposal since early November 2018...

Mo:Le posted on Facebook that they've been informed it would be at least four years before any development occurs, so they're doing some kitchen upgrades now.

• Mike K. and Kapten Kapsell like this

#60 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 04:36 PM

Revised plans went up on Dev Tracker today.
448B70AE-DBCE-44FC-9A44-7650281D99A5.jpeg
  • Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users