PROPOSED
1010 Fort Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1010 Fort Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 12
1010 Fort Street is a proposal for a 12-storey purpose-built rental complex with ground floor retail space alo... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1010 Fort Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] 1010 Fort Street | Rentals, commercial | 12-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#1 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:51 AM

NVision Properties is proposing to build a 6-storey rental building at 1010 Fort Street with 62 rental units and (I assume) street-level retail. This is planned for the former Da Tandoor property (it was a sales centre for Black and White most recently); in order to accommodate the unit count and height, I assume that the J and J wonton Building has been bought by the developer too and will be included in the proposal. Mike Miller is proposing that ten of the rentals here will be affordable units in order to secure approval for Bellwood Park down the road in Rockland.
  • Mike K. likes this

#2 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:31 PM

This proposal is now on Dev Tracker (no images yet) and the height has been revealed to be 9 storeys.  A commercial unit at grade-level has been confirmed as well.

• Nparker likes this

#3 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:20 PM

Plans are now up on Dev Tracker; it appears that the JJ Wonton Building will stay.
9D4C012C-4C43-462C-B6AF-F892BA3A4695.jpeg
  • Nparker and rjag like this

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:21 PM

The Noodle House lives!

Edited by Nparker, 10 April 2018 - 03:22 PM.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:27 PM

Don Charity just had a heart attack.

Not really, that's just a joke over the rendering.

It's like The Zen on steroids, I love it.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 10 April 2018 - 03:29 PM.

• Rob Randall, Kapten Kapsell and Nparker like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 05:50 PM

Update: there are actually just 53 units in this proposal (bachelor, 1+den, and 2 bedroom units). No parking is included in the proposal (no surprise given the small lot size and the soil conditions).

#7 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:37 PM

Update: there are actually just 53 units in this proposal (bachelor, 1+den, and 2 bedroom units). No parking is included in the proposal (no surprise given the small lot size and the soil conditions).

No 1-beds ? Rather odd for a building with no parking, unless the bachelors are the size of a junior 1-bed.

#8 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:15 PM

Great little in-fill building.

• Kapten Kapsell and Nparker like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:09 AM

An interesting construction technique is proposed for this project.

...we are exploring the use [of] prefabricated, steel frame modular units...

https://tender.victo...410145311036954

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#10 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:59 AM

An interesting construction technique is proposed for this project.

That could allow for relatively quick construction.  Here's an interesting wiki on a hotel that pioneered this approach in 1968:  https://en.wikipedia...Palacio_del_Rio .

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:16 AM

...Here's an interesting wiki on a hotel that pioneered this approach in 1968:  https://en.wikipedia...Palacio_del_Rio .

From the linked article:

...Modular units were built complete with plumbing fixtures, lighting, art work, furnishings and even ash trays...

With the exception of ash trays, this is pretty much how cruise ship cabins are constructed today.

I am puzzled why modular construction hasn't become more common over the years as it has always struck me as cost efficient and effective. Then again, I am not a builder so I am sure there are a myriad of reasons why traditional methods have stuck around.

#12 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:25 AM

The construction method is interesting, for sure, and the car-free project is also a trend we may see more of in the coming years.

53-unit car-free rental complex proposed for 1010 Fort Street between Vancouver and Cook streets

https://victoria.cit...d-cook-streets/

• Kapten Kapsell likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:37 AM

The construction method is interesting, for sure, and the car-free project is also a trend we may see more of in the coming years...

Any idea if these concepts could translate into lower-cost rental units? The so-called "affordable housing" everyone is clamouring for?

#14 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:40 AM

Sounds like 53 new GVCC members.

• Mike K. and Coreyburger like this

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:48 AM

Sounds like 53 new GVCC members.

You're presuming none of the future residents are like me and own neither a car nor a bike.

#16 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:06 AM

Sorry I thought it was en vogue to make bike jokes for things not really related to bikes.

• VicHockeyFan, aastra, Coreyburger and 1 other like this

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:14 AM

Sorry I thought it was en vogue to make bike jokes for things not really related to bikes.

Only in the appropriate thread regarding the Johnson Street Bridge.  ;)

#18 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:19 AM

Any idea if these concepts could translate into lower-cost rental units? The so-called "affordable housing" everyone is clamouring for?

Probably not, and not directly. The price of rent is 99% location, unit condition, "crowd", amenities. If modular construction was sufficiently cost-effective,  it would reduce rent by virtue of more developers entering the housing market and therefore increasing the rental supply. But how much supply we get is determined largely by politics and policymaking, rather than market conditions. If adoption of cheaper building isn't accompanied by allowing more supply then there should be virtually no difference in rents.

• lanforod likes this

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:44 PM

That's more or less what I figured, but more efficient building techniques could perhaps allow developers to bring more units to the market, faster, despite the glacial pace of approvals.

#20 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:40 AM

The City provided comments to the developer on May 4, 2018. This project is designed, in part, to provide affordable housing in the core. Ten of the units are slated to fulfill the developer's affordable housing commitment on the Bellewood Park project at 1210 Fort Street. The property currently houses the sales center for Bellewood Park (formerly for the Black & White project). Given how long it takes the City to approve developments, especially in an election year, there is probably lots of time to keep the sales center open before demolition commences!!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users