BUILT
Amica Jubilee House
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1900 Richmond Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
Amica Jubilee House is a five-storey assisted and independent living seniors residence along the 1900-block of... (view full profile)
Learn more about Amica Jubilee House on Citified.ca
Photo

[Jubilee] Maison Victoria | Seniors assisted living | 5-storeys | Approved

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#1 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:06 AM

Rod-of-Asclepius-adorned-Fort-Royal-Medical-Centre-to-make-way-for-seniors-residence.jpg

Recognizable for its three-storey tall Rod of Asclepius symbol, the Fort Royal Medical Centre on Richmond Avenue at Fort Street is slated for demolition. An assisted living residence for seniors is planned to rise in its place.

'Rod of Asclepius'-adorned Fort Royal Medical Centre to make way for seniors residence

https://victoria.cit...iors-residence/

Citified profile: https://victoria.cit...aison-milliken/

• Kapten Kapsell likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:49 AM

Thanks for posting this- although renderings are not available yet, can we assume that this will likely be a wood-framed structure at 5 storeys?

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:50 AM

Yes, it likely will be woodframed. But you never know, they may opt for concrete.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:50 AM

Rod of Asclepius is the symbol of medicine. Rod of Langford bought himself a Chevelle.

I hope that symbol is not scrapped and finds a new home on another medical building.

• Nparker likes this

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:52 AM

I sure hope so, too. It's awesome.

Know it all.

#6 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:46 PM

damn I called this one a while back.

"I know nothing"

#7 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:54 PM

I get a kick out of the "For Lease" sign in front of the building. That will be an uphill climb for that realtor. 

#8 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:56 PM

Interesting note that this building was originally built without a wheelchair accessible elevator. The additional elevator on the north end was added in the late 70's or early 80's.

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 07:11 PM

When you include the massive surface parking lot, quite a sizable structure could be built here.

Fort & Richmond.JPG

#10 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:54 AM

Rezoning application is now on the Dev Tracker, but the plans have not been uploaded yet. https://tender.victo...Number=REZ00651

#11 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:11 AM

Seniors-residences-to-replace-Fort-Street-medical-centre.jpg

An artist's rendering depicts a proposal to replace the Rod of Asclepius-adorned Fort Royal Medical Centre on Fort Street at Richmond Road with a 135-unit seniors residence. The site is situated adjacent to the Turner's Building (visible at-right) which itself is the focus of a redevelopment effort that could see it transformed into a multi-storey medical offices building.

Seniors residence to replace Fort Street medical centre

https://victoria.cit...medical-centre/

• Kapten Kapsell and Nparker like this
Know it all.

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:35 AM

I love how the Turner Building is still boarded up and abandoned in the above rendering. I guess no one has any idea if that will ever move forward.

#13 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:15 AM

^it's completely fallen off the radar.  I even see Mike Knight took his sign down but that was like a year ago

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:52 AM

Yeah, I wonder what happened. The last rumbles were circa 2016.

Know it all.

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:12 PM

Planes taking off from Whidbey Island?

This building seems to be doing a lot of things right re: breaking up that very long form, but I wonder how much of that seeming glass coverage will actually be glass?

• Nparker likes this

#16 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:19 PM

...I wonder how much of that seeming glass coverage will actually be glass?

I am guessing much of the top floor "glass" is our old friend Mr. Spandrel.

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:40 PM

The 5th floor corner on the Fort Street end there, you expect that to be a glass corner, don't you? At least for one more window unit, if not for the entire corner? But it looks like it will be solid wall. I know we've talked about this to death on the Encore thread, but it can be amazing how just a tiny bit more glass can make a huge difference.

Anyway, it looks good. Better than I expected. I still have high hopes that this car-centric intersection can be much more comfortable and neighbourhood-ish than it is right now, and this project would seem to be a step in that direction.

• Nparker likes this

#18 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:49 PM

I am guessing much of the top floor "glass" is our old friend Mr. Spandrel.

Yes. There's a material list in the plans https://tender.victo...612130904336250

Looks to be about 50% vision, 50% spandrel glass on that top storey

#19 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:01 PM

Do you remember Michelle Remembers? "The true story of a year-long contest between innocence and Evil."

20180710_155248.jpg

• Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#20 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:08 PM

I love how the Turner Building is still boarded up and abandoned in the above rendering. I guess no one has any idea if that will ever move forward.

Yeah, I wonder what happened. The last rumbles were circa 2016.

A couple of months back I heard from someone involved with the application that the project was bogged down in the approval process and the doctors are not all in agreement on what the next move should be.

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users