BUILT
Amica Jubilee House
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1900 Richmond Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
Amica Jubilee House is a five-storey assisted and independent living seniors residence along the 1900-block of... (view full profile)
Learn more about Amica Jubilee House on Citified.ca
Photo

[Jubilee] Maison Victoria | Seniors assisted living | 5-storeys | Approved

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#21 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:32 PM

Do you remember Michelle Remembers?

Yep, I went to high school with Michele Rimmenburz. She didn't have a great reputation (suffice it to say, some people claimed the "contest between innocence and evil" wasn't much of a contest after all).

• Nparker likes this

#22 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:19 PM

Is this proposal actually a done deal?

My GP is located in that building and along with his fellow/partner docs - there are five of them in that clinic-office - told me just last week they had no plans to sell out and that their lease was still good for several years yet. Their office alone coughs up $15k/month in payments, which obviously doesn't include whatever the remaining (mostly medical office and pharmacy) tenants shell out in lease payments. 

• todd likes this

#23 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:44 PM

Perhaps it will be built in phases with the current parking lot area developed first,

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:10 AM

It's a for-sure thing unless the project is nixed by council. Considering the planning phase just started we can expect about another year+ for municipal processes and demolition a year or two after approvals, depending on lease terms, etc.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:49 PM

It's a for-sure thing unless the project is nixed by council. Considering the planning phase just started we can expect about another year+ for municipal processes and demolition a year or two after approvals, depending on lease terms, etc.

Which will be the rub presumably since several them apparently have 7-8 (or more) years left to go.

#26 tiger11

tiger11
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 01:02 PM

Which will be the rub presumably since several them apparently have 7-8 (or more) years left to go.

Is it possible the leases contain demolition clauses?

• sdwright.vic likes this

#27 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 01:22 PM

Is it possible the leases contain demolition clauses?

Sure anything is possible and for the right price I presume a lease can be broken or terminated one way or another.

I do know my GP also mentioned that many of the patients at this location naturally are from Oak Bay and not at all happy at the prospect of having to drive further afield to receive medical care. As he said too "...we're not thrilled at the prospect of tossing another $350K++" around in order to find an alternate office. After a dozen years at this location as you can imagine they're pretty established with a very large client-patient base not to mention a huge volume of walk-in traffic.

He did mention nevertheless that they've started very preliminary searches as far away as Uptown and View Royal for new space, which I'm sure would really cause some OB seniors some unneeded stress.

#28 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:42 PM

...many of the patients at this location naturally are from Oak Bay and not at all happy at the prospect of having to drive further afield to receive medical care...

It would be a non-issue if the Turner building proposal had proceeded in a more timely manner.

#29 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:43 AM

134-unit seniors complex pitched for Jubilee, seen as ‘desperately needed’

https://www.timescol...eded-1.23400642

#30 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:58 PM

^Another crisis?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#31 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:10 PM

Interesting tidbit regarding this proposal; I was at my doctor today who as it happens is the senior among the medical partners in this building/clinic.

Their lease has been extended recently for another year, to August 2019 and - I hate bringing Lisa Helps' name into this as there are more than sufficient threads pertaining to Her Worship - but he and one of the other partners mentioned as I was leaving that "apparently" she has significant personal interest in pushing this proposal forward because supposedly she wants to get her own mother into care, and in this location. His final comment was "great...if she succeeds I suppose we can look forward to bike lanes extending to RJH and beyond", lol.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 21 September 2018 - 06:10 PM.

#32 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 September 2018 - 11:34 AM

His final comment was "great...if she succeeds I suppose we can look forward to bike lanes extending to RJH and beyond", lol.

I mean...

cycling-phase3-2021map.jpg

#33 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:08 AM

Here's some updated plans from mid-February that got missed here. The plans show a few more perspectives, as well as a few modifications. I really like it (especially the public realm) and hope it, and the Turner Building bring some life to the Jubilee neighborhood.

https://tender.victo...612130904336250

• Mike K. likes this

#34 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:19 AM

It's a perfectly inoffensive design, therefore it will probably take years to get approved. As for the Turner Building proposal, it's getting nearly as long-in-the-tooth as Northern Junk. I am not sure I will live long enough to see either of these projects come to fruition.

#35 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:36 PM

It's a perfectly inoffensive design, therefore it will probably take years to get approved. As for the Turner Building proposal, it's getting nearly as long-in-the-tooth as Northern Junk. I am not sure I will live long enough to see either of these projects come to fruition.

The application was endorsed by Advisory Design Panel (with new addition Pam Madoff) in January. Minutes are here: https://www.victoria...ry 23, 2019.pdf

Capture.PNG

• Nparker likes this

#36 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:51 PM

The Rod of Asclepius needs to be incorporated in the new building.

rod.JPG

#37 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 08:28 AM

This is going to CotW on Thursday April 11.

#38 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:47 AM

What is it with locals and their irrational fear of heights?

...“It fits with the Official Community Plan vision for that site. It’s five storeys, not six and it could be up to six.”...Marianne Alto, council liaison to North Jubilee, notes there were some concerns in the neighbourhood about the project’s height...

https://www.timescol...area-1.23786468

At most it may be 3-4 meters taller than the existing structure on the site, but of course that makes it too tall.  :whyme: 

Now this is I like:

...there is a desire to see the Rod of Asclepius symbol re-used, Abercrombie said. “While a final design and location is not yet determined, the applicant team is committed to re-use the signage in order to recognize the history of the site...

#39 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:05 AM

There's an older residential building on the other side of Fort that's six stories. Nobody mentions it, nobody cares. Context is irrelevant.

• Nparker and newbie_01 like this

#40 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:13 AM

How many times does it need to be demonstrated? If you can't remember whether this building or that in your own neighbourhood is 4, 5, or 6 stories, then a floor or two up or down probably isn't really such a big deal after all. When a building is new we like to regard the difference as drastic/threatening change, but later it just ends up being a bit of variety.

• Nparker and grantpalin like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users