APPROVED
Parkway
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1518 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Parkway is a proposal to restore the two-storey Wellburn's Market building at the intersection of Cook Street ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Parkway on Citified.ca
Photo

[North Park] Parkway (Wellburn's Building) | 6-storeys

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#141 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,293 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 04:18 AM

#142 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:17 PM

Very slight revisions are up on the Dev Tracker, along with written responses to the ADP and Heritage comments.

Drawings: https://tender.victo...515123708409231

Response: https://tender.victo...515123708409231

Building is basically the same, but features a small rooftop amenity on the fifth storey, introduction of Juliette balconies facing Franklin Green, and stepping back the rooftop addition slightly further from Pandora.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

#143 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:43 PM

I'm still not sure why we would want to introduce such a cold & plain institutional look to that village streetscape. Anyway, I hope whatever eventually happens on the Mason Street corner has some brick cladding as per the Wellburn's building and the Normandie and the little commercial building on Mason.

#144 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:51 PM

This might also be a good moment to pose again that question re: why do so many modern buildings extend the same look/feel/cladding right down to the ground? I've likened this to making an all-or-nothing bet on the success of the esthetic and the cladding.

The pillars along the ground floor don't need to be exactly the same as the levels above, do they? Even if the economics of the project dictate little in the way of variation over the main part of the building, would it be so hard to give the ground level a bit more personality? (I should mention, the ground level seems to be doing things right re: those fundamentals that we've talked about before, but I'm just sayin')

• victorian likes this

#145 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:54 PM

I'm still not sure why we would want to introduce such a cold & plain institutional look to that village streetscape.

Yes, it doesn't look like much though was given to the north facade. I sometimes wonder if these Vancouver architects actually do site visits before sketching up a plan.

• aastra likes this

#146 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:02 PM

Or do they get advice that this is what the CoV wants?

#147 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:16 PM

I can imagine somebody advising that it needs to be drab, so as to respect the Wellburn's building and not compete with it, yadda yadda yadda. Many Victorians don't seem to get it, that this approach actually diminishes the things that you're supposedly trying to celebrate and emphasize. (not to mention the "can't see the forest for the trees" aspect re: overlooking how every element has a right to exist and makes a contribution to the streetscape/neighbourhood as a whole...)

• Nparker likes this

#148 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:26 PM

I didn't notice before, but this architect (Michael Green Architecture) is also doing the Scott building, and he's working with Google's Sidewalk Labs in Toronto on their redevelopment.

#149 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:31 PM

I didn't notice before, but this architect (Michael Green Architecture) is also doing the Scott Building...

An equally drab addition to a heritage building.

#150 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 02:37 PM

Might be the end of Wellburn's:

https://www.oakbayne...oding-basement/

Article makes it sound like the current owners only bought the business a few years ago? Doesn't seem like it was a good investment.

#151 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 02:54 PM

...According to Lum the owners of the building say there is no fix for the sewage issues and the grocery store will be closed indefinitely due to health concerns. “This is terrible,” says Lum, adding that there’s been a level of “hush, hush” surrounding the issue...

Something smells off about this whole thing.

#152 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 04:08 PM

It definitely stinks. I guess the rank and file aren't privy to the truth.*

*3 points

• Victoria Watcher and Tom Braybrook like this

#153 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,293 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 06:16 PM

Lum says the sewage has filled up again following the initial finding, because of people in the building using the washroom, adding that at one point the sewage level was as high as two feet. Since then the level of fluid has gone down, which Lum says is because residents were told to evacuate.

According to Lum the owners of the building say there is no fix for the sewage issues and the grocery store will be closed indefinitely due to health concerns. “This is terrible,” says Lum, adding that there’s been a level of “hush, hush” surrounding the issue.

wtf?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 November 2019 - 06:17 PM.

#154 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,293 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 06:28 PM

Since then the level of fluid has gone down, which Lum says is because residents were told to evacuate.

does he mean "told not to evacuate"?

in any event turn this lemon into lemonade.  2 feet of sh*t sounds like you can grow great mushrooms down there.  just convert the grocery to an all-mushroom retailer.

• aastra likes this

#155 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:06 PM

does he mean "told not to evacuate"?

I hope Mike K. is reading this. I know he was having a difficult time deciding which thread to submit to the national archives.

...there’s been a level of “hush, hush” surrounding the issue.

Considering the circumstances, hush-hush seems preferable to flush-flush.

But seriously, two feet of sewage? When I read that I thought for sure that he was pulling our chain.*

*toilet reference

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#156 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:08 PM

This thread is really starting to tank.

Edited by Nparker, 29 November 2019 - 07:08 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#157 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:08 PM

No, but come on. What are they talking about? How are they going to clean that up? I hope we're not heading toward another facadism job here.

#158 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:10 PM

...I hope we're not heading toward another facadism job here.

Is there an intention to retain the existing structure in its current state?

#159 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:52 PM

Well, I suppose that's a really good question. If this project isn't considered facadism then what's our threshold in that regard?

#160 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 08:00 PM

It would be nice to get some clarification re: whether or not we should be outraged.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users