APPROVED
Parkway
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1518 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Parkway is a proposal to restore the two-storey Wellburn's Market building at the intersection of Cook Street ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Parkway on Citified.ca
Photo

[North Park] Parkway (Wellburn's Building) | 6-storeys

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#161 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:52 PM

I already posted my article. No outrage necessary.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#162 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:38 AM

I hope Mike K. is reading this. I know he was having a difficult time deciding which thread to submit to the national archives.

Considering the circumstances, hush-hush seems preferable to flush-flush.

But seriously, two feet of sewage? When I read that I thought for sure that he was pulling our chain.*

*toilet reference

I would think that a chat with the owner of the barber shop would be in order for anyone really interested in this project.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#163 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:36 PM

i hope they don't waste any time doing the first job, re-homing tenants...

...job number two, cleanup...might be a crappy one!

*another triple*

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#164 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:24 PM

I was just looking at the renderings for this project again and i think it would be good as is if they just added some bold colour elements. They should make the retail units are on the smaller side too.

It has a whole new look!

#165 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 10:31 AM

I already posted my article. No outrage necessary.

But it's comforting to know that outrage is still an option.

• Nparker likes this

#166 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 01:00 PM

Outrage is always an option.

It has a whole new look!

#167 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:30 AM

Is there an intention to retain the existing structure in its current state?

It would be nice to get some clarification re: whether or not we should be outraged.

A little of column A, a little of column B. Here's an excerpt from the architect's response to the Heritage Design Panel comments:

Recommendation 1b: That the applicant retains an original residential unit interior in situ, if feasible, or be relocated within the development.

Response: Through the duration of the design phases, the team has explored opportunities to retain original units exactly as located. However, given the vast amount of rehabilitation required, including extensive removal of hazardous materials, as well as reconstruction to retain the heritage portion, it has been determined that this exact retention is not possible. Instead, where practical heritage components that are safe and salvageable will be repurposed throughout the development, notably in key common areas such as lobbies and corridors. As we get into further detail with our Interior Design team we will continue to investigate the feasibility of incorporating any of the existing interior features into some residential units.

via https://tender.victo...515124044660031

• Nparker likes this

#168 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,300 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 05:16 PM

Residents of the historic corner building at Cook Street and Pandora Avenue remain in housing purgatory after the basement of the building – home also to Wellburns Market and the Cook Street Barbershop – flooded with sewage.

Nine-year resident Marita Manson says the hot water stopped working Nov. 24 and the taps went dry the day after. Tenants were given gym passes so they could shower, and on Nov. 29 received notices in the mail that the ‘problem’ could not be fixed and the building was to be closed indefinitely. Residents were given the option of staying at a nearby Sandman Hotel.

https://www.vicnews....m-indefinitely/

#169 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:09 PM

I am not sure I'd describe 2852 Douglas Street as "nearby" Wellburns.

#170 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:42 PM

I wonder how the barber shop can still operate, without hot water or washrooms?

#171 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 04:15 PM

This is going to COTW alon Thursday Dec 12; staff recommend moving this application forward to a public hearing.

#172 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 04:19 PM

...staff recommend moving this application forward to a public hearing.

I'll have to remember to sharpen my pitchfork.  :farmer:

#173 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 07:55 AM

How did this go at CotW yesterday?  Is it moving on to a public hearing?

#174 jscmanson

jscmanson
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 09:36 AM

Council voted to send the project to public hearing, subject to the developer compensating the tenants based on the City's relocation policy for rezoning applications - with no recognition of the fact that they (the tenants living in the building when the water/sewer  services were terminated) have lost the ability to reside in the building an additional 10 months until Sept 2020, they were kicked out of the building with 2 days notice due to negligence in building service maintenance/upkeep, which they now conveniently claim will take 6 months to repair, and they have the privilege of finding new accommodation over the Christmas holiday.  They did receive a generous offer from the developer to pick up the cost of temporary hotel accommodation which the BC Tenancy Act requires them to do in those circumstances. 

Reps for the tenants addressed Council last night to request a tabling of the application pending a suitable resolution to these issues, two Councillors got it and supported the request, the rest figured the rezoning relocation deal was good enough, so full steam ahead.

#175 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:26 AM

All were in favour...it's going to public hearing.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#176 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 06:44 PM

Council voted to send the project to public hearing, subject to the developer compensating the tenants based on the City's relocation policy for rezoning applications - with no recognition of the fact that they (the tenants living in the building when the water/sewer services were terminated) have lost the ability to reside in the building an additional 10 months until Sept 2020, they were kicked out of the building with 2 days notice due to negligence in building service maintenance/upkeep, which they now conveniently claim will take 6 months to repair, and they have the privilege of finding new accommodation over the Christmas holiday. They did receive a generous offer from the developer to pick up the cost of temporary hotel accommodation which the BC Tenancy Act requires them to do in those circumstances.

Reps for the tenants addressed Council last night to request a tabling of the application pending a suitable resolution to these issues, two Councillors got it and supported the request, the rest figured the rezoning relocation deal was good enough, so full steam ahead.

Welcome to VV!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#177 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:52 AM

When is the hearing date?   I think I going to go to it to voice my support.    The neighbourhood needs this property to redeveloped to at least the density proposed.    

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#178 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:56 AM

Rolf's Cook Street Barbershop is on the move as Wellburn's redevelopment nears

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#179 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:24 AM

They're finally getting around to clearing the shelves at Wellburn's. The produce was taken away a few weeks ago but the freezers are still stocked. I assume they were still running.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#180 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:37 AM

They're finally getting around to clearing the shelves at Wellburn's. The produce was taken away a few weeks ago but the freezers are still stocked. I assume they were still running.

Is Wellburn's looking to relocate?  I heard that the owner (who is in his late 50s) may consider retiring ...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users