• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 17,963 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:53 AM

Sooke Road has been closed for hours due to downed trees that downed hydro wires.

A community of 20,000 people literally cut off from medical services, transportation services, employment and loved ones.

Google maps isn't showing any closures, but Drive BC shows this:

Highway 14, in both directions. Tree on road between Glenshire Dr and Luxton Rd (Langford). Until Sun Feb 10 at 2:00 PM PST. Road closed. Next update time Sun Feb 10 at 9:00 AM PST. Last updated Sun Feb 10 at 6:01 AM PST. (DBC-5392)

It looks like the Westshore Parkway gets you around that one, no?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,755 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:05 AM

Yes there were various trees down that weren’t in areas without a detour. The road is now open or at least motorists can detour around the closures.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,987 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:40 AM

One of my employees was late for his shift due to Highway 14 closures, and I'm sure he was one of hundreds.

It's really not something that can be allowed to continue without improvement ... or at least efforts at improvement.

#44 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 17,963 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:29 PM

One of my employees was late for his shift due to Highway 14 closures, and I'm sure he was one of hundreds.

It's really not something that can be allowed to continue without improvement ... or at least efforts at improvement.

We'll probably have a couple guys working from home tomorrow if the roads stay messy.  We're set up for that, so it won't hurt us much, but for those who need to be in the office it's a PITA.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#45 VIResident

VIResident
  • 130 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:42 AM

Need to keep in mind people have to get home after the work day.  With the forecast, more snow mid to later day anyone who has to go a long distance (to Langford for example) might want to either leave at noon or just stay home. 

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,755 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:26 AM

Agreed. Unless you absolutely have to be out there stay off.

Luckily all schools in districts 61-63 are closed today. That alone will remove a ton of traffic from the roads. They should have been closed on Friday as well.

• Cassidy likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 573 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:43 AM

Camosun and UVic are both open though :)

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,755 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:02 AM

Yup. They sure are. I would imagine some private schools are open as well but that’s just a guess.

Know it all.

#49 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:16 AM

Yup. They sure are. I would imagine some private schools are open as well but that’s just a guess.

pacific christian and st. margarets are closed.

#50 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:18 AM

smus is closed.

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,755 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:43 AM

There are many more than those three. I can’t find info for some Montessori schools but I imagine they’re small enough that each parent can be contacted individually.

Know it all.

#52 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:46 AM

well add glenlyon norfolk (closed today) and that’s probably 95% of private students in the region.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 February 2019 - 07:46 AM.

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,755 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:16 PM

Highway 14 is closed between roughly Jordan River and Port Renfrew due to downed trees. 

Know it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.