NFL: Seahawks etc.

• Please log in to reply
358 replies to this topic

#281 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 07:54 AM

And then you turn around and make even more comparisons to the US. Whatever. I think you’re just wording your arguments wrong, and keep going deeper down the rabbit hole of indefensible positions. I kinda get what you’re trying to say but you keep making it worse!

Comparisons?

Like what? Show me.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#282 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:00 AM

I’ll save you the time.

I am pointing out your double standard, not comparing us to the US. You guys can’t pretend to be concerned about a sports ball parade shooting in the US, if you shrug off a sports ball parade shooting in Canada. That’s the disingenuousness I’m talking about. It’s ignorant at best (either having forgotten or not having even known about it) and a double standard at worst.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#283 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,718 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:14 AM

Its not a double standard when I also compared us to Japan and China, for contrast...

#284 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,718 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:15 AM

Its a simple fact, whether you like it or not: if you make guns harder to get, shootings will go down. It'll take time, ofc.

#285 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:17 AM

You’re absolutely wrong.

We have never had stronger gun control in Canada. And shootings are on the rise.

Are you going to show me my comparisons to the US? You’re quick to admonish me, then run away when I ask for proof. Pay up or sit down, old man. :banana:

Know it all.

#286 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,718 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:19 AM

Sure, just go look at your response to LJ a few posts up. 

#287 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,545 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:25 AM

Switzerland has a stunningly high rate of gun ownership — here's why it doesn't have mass shootings

https://www.business...n-deaths-2018-2

The country has about 2 million privately owned guns in a nation of 8.3 million people. In 2016, the country had 47 attempted homicides with firearms. The country's overall murder rate is near zero.

The National Rifle Association often points to Switzerland to argue that more rules on gun ownership aren't necessary. In 2016, the NRA said on its blog that the European country had one of the lowest murder rates in the world while still having millions of privately owned guns and a few hunting weapons that don't even require a permit.

But the Swiss have some specific rules and regulations for gun use.

In case TLDR, the article never actually articulates why they have no real gun problem.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 February 2024 - 08:28 AM.

#288 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:27 AM

Sure, just go look at your response to LJ a few posts up.

Weak.

Sit down. You’ve played yourself …again :banana:

Know it all.

#289 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,718 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:28 AM

Nope, just not letting you gaslight us into saying you didn't do something you DID do.

#290 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,718 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:32 AM

Switzerland has a stunningly high rate of gun ownership — here's why it doesn't have mass shootings

https://www.business...n-deaths-2018-2

The country has about 2 million privately owned guns in a nation of 8.3 million people. In 2016, the country had 47 attempted homicides with firearms. The country's overall murder rate is near zero.

The National Rifle Association often points to Switzerland to argue that more rules on gun ownership aren't necessary. In 2016, the NRA said on its blog that the European country had one of the lowest murder rates in the world while still having millions of privately owned guns and a few hunting weapons that don't even require a permit.

But the Swiss have some specific rules and regulations for gun use.

In case TLDR, the article never actually articulates why they have no real gun problem.

"

Around the world, stronger gun laws have been linked to fewer gun deaths. That has been the case in Switzerland, too."

#291 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:32 AM

The only gaslighting is the fake pearl clutching from you guys about stuff in the US that happens right here in Canada, that you glance over.

Make your bed first, as they say.

Know it all.

#292 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:47 AM

" Around the world, stronger gun laws have been linked to fewer gun deaths. That has been the case in Switzerland, too."

You have to frame the situation for yourself and not rely on others to do it for you.

Your brain goes to “aha, success, less gun deaths means gun control is working!”

My brain goes to “emergency and trauma medicine has vastly improved in recent decades, so it’s curious they use deaths, and not shooting incidents, as the metric. Jamie, pull up shooting stats.”

Know it all.

#293 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,718 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:58 AM

I'm happy to look at them, if you can find them. I already looked, I've found lots by homicide rates by shooting, but not so much just 'shooting'.

#294 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 09:07 AM

Correct. Those stats are difficult to find.

But even right here in BC, shootings far, far FAR outweigh gun deaths, thanks to better health care, and really bad shooters.

Know it all.

#295 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,545 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 09:10 AM

Most "gun deaths" are suicides, too.  

Presumably if a gun wasn't available, many/most of those people would find other ways to kill themselves.

Canada has a suicide rate about 30% lower than the US. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 February 2024 - 09:14 AM.

#296 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 09:23 AM

Yes, #1 for gun deaths in Canada. Common for murder-suicides.

Know it all.

#297 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,454 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 12:46 PM

You’re absolutely wrong.

We have never had stronger gun control in Canada. And shootings are on the rise.

Are you going to show me my comparisons to the US? You’re quick to admonish me, then run away when I ask for proof. Pay up or sit down, old man. :banana:

I showed you a link already that shows that states comparatively with more restrictions have less gun violence..  You probably didn't want to look at it but it makes sense.  Are guns you are talking about coming from the US?

Edited by Ismo07, 28 February 2024 - 12:47 PM.

#298 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 07:38 AM

The highest rates of gun violence in the US are in heavily gun controlled cities.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#299 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,454 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 08:13 AM

The highest rates of gun violence in the US are in heavily gun controlled cities.

Did you read the article?  Yes obviously bigger cities have more issues, but cities do not dictate gun control laws.  Just look at the stats, it pretty evident that more gun control laws equate to less gun violence.  Unless you do not trust their data...

Might be good to check out England and Australia while you're at it.  

Yes gun violence is increasing in Canada...  Just not at the rate we are talking about.

Edited by Ismo07, 29 February 2024 - 08:15 AM.

#300 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 08:17 AM

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users