Posted 23 November 2021 - 11:01 AM

Kitty corner to the new Safeway.
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#683 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 23 November 2021 - 12:29 PM

I see people shooting up pretty much every day I'm downtown, but I think that's just my path. You'll see that in the doorways of the 800 and 900 blocks of Yates and other places (I don't bother using a two block stretch on Pandora. In front of the empty former location of BC Shavers and Hobbies. Anyways, I see far fewer panhandlers and less obviously homeless people that's for sure.

Despite that (and people rightfully having some safety concerns like Barrister and wife) downtown is great!

Perhaps people who like to crap on downtown (and there are reasons to, like anywhere) are doing so for political reasons? Or for their valid personal concerns that may be more of a reflection of their mindset than actual reality?

Downtown is on the verge of collapse they say! Where's Aastra when you need him.. he'd post 2000 articles from the TC since 1859 predicting the same thing.

If you like driving your car to easy and free parking you'll hate downtown. If you don't like political protests you'll claim it's strangling downtown. How many hours out of 4,380 (12 hours days) per year is traffic even impacted by that? You'll spend far more time in traffic commuting to suburban malls than you will be impacted by protests downtown. It seems that protests are closing highways outside of downtown, do we say that's killing Sidney or Langford?

How about we have a list of all the new retailers that have opened up in the most challenging economic times we've seen in ages?

And all those protestors - ironically good for business as they buy coffee and go for lunch after...

As Mike K would say, don't believe the hype and the doomsday preachers! Or wait.. I think that was Public Enemy.

We have challenges, let's tackle them and celebrate what makes Victoria special (ie - not a mall or downtown Langford, at this stage of its development).

Edited by zoomer, 23 November 2021 - 12:29 PM.

• Kapten Kapsell, gstc84 and qv like this

#684 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 12:35 PM

Despite that (and people rightfully having some safety concerns like Barrister and wife) downtown is great!

Aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

• Fox likes this

#685 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 23 November 2021 - 12:48 PM

So did all future presidential families stop going to plays after that?

You're FAR more likely to be injured when in a vehicle, but that doesn't stop people from driving or being a passenger. They should all rush downtown and huddle outside of their cars on the sidewalks and they would be much safer!

Has fear paralyzed us? Whatever happened to the greatest generation? Oh wait, that's not us.

#686 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 12:59 PM

Mike, I suspect that it is a number of factors combined. You are absolutely right that a lack of office workers is one but also less tourists and finally there are a lot of people like my wife who refuses to go downtown anymore but she does not want to she the joy of being around the druggies, 

Even five years ago she used to do all her shopping downtown,  No restaurants downtown anymore either. I am pretty sure that she is not the only one that feels like that.

The druggies, violence, crime and poverty industry that needs them is worse than ever - while we bemoan a precipitous drop in workers and tourists.

Sure blame the pandemic to a point but it is known:

...neither can live while the other survives...

Crookshanks out.

#687 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 06:05 PM

Put this in the conspiracy thread please.

• Matt R. likes this

#688 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,977 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 06:52 AM

Walmart sign goes up at Hillside shopping centre, no word yet on opening date

https://www.timescol...ng-date-5120522

No opening date eh? Still could maybe be an IKEA?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 March 2022 - 06:53 AM.

#689 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,525 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 07:01 AM

What a cliffhanger, eh?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#690 Vin

Vin
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 01:22 PM

Appearance-wise, Downtown Victoria is definitely ruined by lots of vagrants/homeless folks these couple of years, and is a far cry from what it used to be, especially around and along Douglas Street near the Bay Centre. However, this still pales in comparison to what downtown Vancouver is going through though. Whenever I'm in downtown Victoria, I feel safe despite seeing the assortment of riff-raffs parked or milling around. With the pandemic and lack of tourists, it is understandable that a lot of businesses are suffering at the moment, but for those who can survive this period, I'm sure businesses will pick up once again once the hoards of tourists are back, especially the eager-beaver Americans after being unloaded from the cruise ships.

Edited by Vin, 09 March 2022 - 01:23 PM.

#691 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 02:30 PM

...I'm sure businesses will pick up once again once the hoards of tourists are back, especially the eager-beaver Americans after being unloaded from the cruise ships.

Assuming there are any eager-beaver Americans being unloaded from cruise ships this year or in the future.

#692 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 03:20 PM

Assuming there are any eager-beaver Americans being unloaded from cruise ships this year or in the future.

looks like we'll find out in a month https://globalnews.c...canadian-stops/

with the first cruise ship to dock in a Canadian port in two years slated to arrive on April 6

#693 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 03:42 PM

Walmart sign goes up at Hillside shopping centre, no word yet on opening date

https://www.timescol...ng-date-5120522

No opening date eh? Still could maybe be an IKEA?

trades say they will be in there for another month/month and a half - then fixtures and stock - --- two and a half months makes opening may 24 or june...

#694 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,977 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 03:43 PM

I can’t wait. I love the meatballs.

#695 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 03:48 PM

Walmart sign goes up at Hillside shopping centre...

I can’t wait. I love the meatballs.

6000204182895.jpg

• Matt R. likes this

#696 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 07:45 PM

Drove past Hillside today, the Walmart sign is finally up.
  • Mike K. likes this

#697 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 10 April 2022 - 11:46 PM

2 weeks ago they were working sunday, metal studs visible

last sunday studs covered with drywall

this sunday nobody working

#698 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,977 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 10:24 AM

Hillside Walmart is open.  Can someone go and finally, officially, confirm it's not an IKEA?

• Nparker likes this

#699 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,525 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 03:15 PM

Or a Cineplex?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#700 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 03:21 PM

It would be neat to have a Cineplex that only shows documentary movies about Walmart (with Swedish narration, but with English subtitles).

(Any lurkers who read this thread are going to put things together eventually and realize we're all just a bunch of meatballs.)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users