Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#2201 David Arthur Johnston

David Arthur Johnston
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 September 2022 - 06:51 PM

Maybe we should spend a little more time on this forum talking about the serious candidates.

Serious, as in pretending the addiction epidemic isn't an imposed condition to make tent-cities arbitrarily untenable? Or serious, as in having a legitimate chance to squeeze through a split vote between Chamber endorsed candidates?

#2202 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 07:02 PM

Maybe we should spend a little more time on this forum talking about the serious candidates.

Anything is a serious candidate in 2022.
  • dasmo likes this

#2203 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,086 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 07:03 PM

^ ^ I’m almost sure you’ll get under 1,000 votes. At least 10x less than the top-two candidates.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 September 2022 - 07:04 PM.

• Midnightly likes this

#2204 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 07:08 PM

^ ^ I’m almost sure you’ll get under 1,000 votes. At least 10x less than the top-two candidates.

I don’t know, he’s getting a lot of coverage on VV.

#2205 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 07:51 PM

I don’t know, he’s getting a lot of coverage on VV.

coverage doesn't always lead to votes... especially when most the coverage seems to be on VV.... he has yet to change my mind.. heck yet to clearly answer most questions asked

#2206 David Arthur Johnston

David Arthur Johnston
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 September 2022 - 07:53 PM

We'll see. Even though magic isn't real miracles are.

#2207 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 08:44 PM

I see we are having voting stations in Saanich (UVIC) and at Our Place again.

Advance Voting Opportunities
Advance voting opportunities begin a week from today:

Friday, October 7 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. Our Place, 919 Pandora Avenue

The Johnson Street Bridge Twitter account and #yyjchill won’t have far to go.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2208 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 09:24 PM

We'll see. Even though magic isn't real..

Magic is real, election fraud etc

#2209 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 03:08 AM

Statement from the Stephen Andrew campaign;

Stephen Andrew, City of Victoria Councillor and candidate for Mayor of Victoria, issues the following statement upon the release of BC NDP leadership candidate David Eby’s
housing platform:

“I am pleased to see the candidate most likely to be the next BC Premier approaches the housing crisis with such vigor. I totally support the flipping tax and believe it will help to stem
the tide of the speculation we continue to see in BC, despite the best efforts of the current government.”

“As long as the principle is to build homes quickly, which this plan certainly appears to prioritize, I and my campaign are favourable. It is nice to see support coming and hopefully these
efforts will encourage those municipalities which have not been carrying their weight, to get in the game.”

“In terms of the missing middle, I absolutely support the need for more family housing and more housing in general in the city of Victoria. The provincial government has the power and authority
to override municipal jurisdiction if they so choose. I prefer a collaborative relationship to meet the housing needs to Victorians and maintain the ability of residents to have their voice heard. I am encouraged by Mr. Eby’s comments that his plan is “more
modest” than missing middle.”

“Our campaign puts the voices of Victorians front and center in our efforts to restore their trust in their council. I continue to advocate for better housing solutions and to keep all voices at the
center of my campaign. As Mayor, I look forward to the work that can be done with Mr. Eby to build homes through good governance.”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2210 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,086 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:14 AM

Meet Your Candidates: 37 battle for 9 councillor positions in Victoria

Stephen Andrew

The most important thing the next mayor and council can do is rebuild trust with Victoria residents. For eight years, possibly longer, this council operated in a way that created division and distrust. The recent City of Victoria governance report showed more than 80 per cent of residents are unhappy with how this mayor and council operate. We have urgent issues that need to be addressed, which includes improved public safety and community wellness, homes for everyone and balanced governance. We cannot tackle these issues effectively if the electorate no longer trusts that we listen.

https://www.vicnews....ns-in-victoria/

Ben Isitt

Expand fare-free public transit for everyone, starting with seniors, to cut carbon emissions, reduce congestion on local roads, and remove economic barriers to mobility. Communities around the world are implementing this model. The current city council introduced fare-free transit for people under age 19, an example the provincial government followed, eliminating fares across B.C. for people under 13. The next step is to invest $4 million of City of Victoria tax dollars in 2023 to provide annual transit passes for senior citizens. We also need major improvements in transit service levels, including bus rapid transit and frequent buses in all neighbourhoods.

Janice Williams

Focus on good governance as a foundation for moving forward. Good governance demonstrates accountability, leadership, integrity, stewardship and transparency.

It means focusing on the things that are within the city’s jurisdiction and putting residents and local businesses first. It is critical to creating a Victoria that works and works well.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 September 2022 - 07:21 AM.

#2211 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:34 AM

Eight councillor positions.
  • JohnsonStBridge likes this

Know it all.

#2212 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,086 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:35 AM

Maybe they meant “council” positions.

#2213 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:37 AM

..miracles are.

I am curious how could you possibly stick to your morals and be a successful mayor of a town. How could you operate as a penniless mayor? Would the town not use money?

#2214 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:41 AM

David, maybe you should focus your outreach on another platform.

I think we’ve dedicated enough time to trying to understand what you mean, but there also appears to be little willingness from you to reciprocate that which I think you expect from others.

Out of respect for everyone here, David, take a break for a while, please. You’re not engaging with others here, you’re just pushing your platform on the rest of us. If members here feel you’re not responding to questions they pose of you, then it’s a one-way street. And that defeats the purpose of this forum.

Come back in a week and let us know how the campaign is going but we’ve reached the end of the road here.
  • martini, lanforod and Belleprincess like this

Know it all.

#2215 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:51 AM

^After he answers my question.

I think the former governor general deserves more respect than that

Edited by todd, 29 September 2022 - 08:04 AM.

#2216 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 08:26 AM

^After he answers my question.

I think the former governor general deserves more respect than that

Ya I was thinking how funny it would be for some homeless person to change their name to John Horgan or Lisa Helps and then run for office!

• todd likes this

#2217 David Arthur Johnston

David Arthur Johnston
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 September 2022 - 08:37 AM

David, maybe you should focus your outreach on another platform.

I think we’ve dedicated enough time to trying to understand what you mean, but there also appears to be little willingness from you to reciprocate that which I think you expect from others.

Out of respect for everyone here, David, take a break for a while, please. You’re not engaging with others here, you’re just pushing your platform on the rest of us. If members here feel you’re not responding to questions they pose of you, then it’s a one-way street. And that defeats the purpose of this forum.

Come back in a week and let us know how the campaign is going but we’ve reached the end of the road here.

Understood.

PS: Humbly, some 'members' are arbitrary contrarians who will not find satisfaction with any answer.

PPS: hopefully there will be champions to defend me while I'm gone.

#2218 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 29 September 2022 - 08:55 AM

Our campaign is dealing with a hit this morning. We're going to have to pivot - by how much, I am waiting to find out.

I got a call this morning with the business that provides the advertisements in the elevators. Apparently Devon Properties demanded elections advertising be removed from their properties as they did not want to have to deal with complaints - note my ad has been there a month already while a mayoral ad had been a new arrival (within the last couple of days). As such, our ads will be pulled from those elevators, and it is disheartening. As an independent campaign, our budget is small, as is our army of volunteers - getting the word out about who I am, why I am running and what I hope to do should I be elected, is challenging, it really is. Further, the elevator ads meant that there have been far fewer lawn signs needed for our campaign, which was an environmental bonus.
I also feel for the elevator advertiser - they're a small business and losing this business is a hit - so I've decided that our campaign doesn't need a refund and that asking for one just wouldn't be right. By the way - I can now fully attest that elevator advertising is a very effective method of getting out there, so if you have a small business, please consider giving them a call to help them fill the gap that has been created by this loss.
As with most things in life - sometimes you just have to pivot. This sucks, it really does - that our political climate is toxic enough that the CEO would worry about fielding complaints about elections ads (note, I'm not sure it was my ad he was worried about as it is my understanding there is a mayoral campaign that is also impacted). So friends, I'm keeping my chin up - but I'm going to need your help in getting the word out and the vote out this elections. I'm going to need you to talk to your friends and family about our campaign, and I'm going to need you to go to the polls this election and elect those who you feel are best able to be a team that will make Victoria work for its local residents and businesses.
Chin up - nothing worthwhile is ever easy.

• Nparker, Love the rock and A Girl is No one like this

#2219 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 09:03 AM

Regardless of advertising you've got my vote Janice.
  • spanky123, Love the rock, Midnightly and 2 others like this

#2220 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 09:18 AM

In my opinion, there are so many people running for council (and so many open positions) that signs won't play a big role. I think that most people who are considering voting will look to the media for information on candidates and to the various all candidates meetings. In previous elections when people only had to fill 1 or 2 open positions then signs may have played a role in top of mind awareness when people filled in the last tick box.

• Victoria Watcher and JohnsonStBridge like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users