Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#2221 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 09:57 AM

Understood.

PS: Humbly, some 'members' are arbitrary contrarians who will not find satisfaction with any answer.

PPS: hopefully there will be champions to defend me while I'm gone.

now we’ll never know how to operate a penniless city

#2222 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 12:39 PM

Interesting development in Ontario. Looks like "The goal of disengagement" isn't going so well.

Vote Against Woke

"The term “woke” was originally popularized by progressive activists who saw themselves as having (metaphorically) awakened to bold new insights about the racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia that supposedly contaminate every corner of western societies. In recent years, however, “woke” has been more commonly used as a pejorative term to describe extremists who extrapolate these well-intentioned principles in a radically ill-advised manner. In many cases, this includes performative gestures—on social media or otherwise—that are clearly intended to burnish the ideological bona fides of woke individuals and groups, as opposed to providing real assistance to the allegedly oppressed masses whose well-being ostensibly lies at the core of the woke mission.

Some woke ideological positions are so extreme that they directly contradict core tenets of liberalism, including free speech and due process. At its outer edges, moreover, wokeism closely tracks policy prescriptions associated with reactionary 20th-century social conservatives. In schools, government agencies, and woke corporations, it has become increasingly common to celebrate racial segregation as a means to create “affinity groups.” Some woke ideologues and diversity consultants also claim that qualities associated with professional life, such as punctuality, attention to detail, and a commitment to merit, betray the influence of a nefarious force called “whiteness”—thereby channeling the racist idea that non-white individuals cannot meet baseline standards of intellect and behavior.

Woke manifestos and policy documents typically embed slogans that cast entire swathes of the western world as “oppressive” (or even intrinsically genocidal), and which call upon followers to engage in gestures of righteous “anti-capitalist” rebellion. Canada, in particular, is routinely denounced as a “white supremacist” state whose very existence must be “disrupted.”

Unlike traditional forms of leftish thought, which have been aimed in large part at assisting working-class individuals, wokeism exhibits an unconcealed hostility toward underprivileged members of society who have not internalized faddish ideas about race and gender. Woke ideas are communicated using academic jargon densely cluttered with newly conceived acronyms such as 2SLGBTQQIA+, AMAB, and BIPOC. As with many cultish movements, the unintelligible nature of this idiom is treated as a feature not a bug, since mastery of such terms permits an acolyte to signal his or her elect status within a woke organization or clique.

In other words, wokeism not only consists of a set of anti-liberal ideological concepts masquerading as progressivism, but also as a status-seeking strategy within upper-middle-class white-collar social and professional subcultures."

https://www.voteagai...s-woke-ideology

• Nparker and David Arthur Johnston like this

#2223 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 01:20 PM

I don't recall a time when there wasn't at least 30 candidates running for 8 council positions in the CoV. Sadly, name recognition is all that matters to most voters.😞
  • dasmo likes this

#2224 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 01:23 PM

Maybe not this time around. Way more involvement after the last two years of authoritarianism. Nanaimo has a site too it turns out! Where is the one for Victoria? Check out this sneaky stuff Nanaimo has been up too! 

That a New Nanaimo Bylaw Was Passed...
  " As outlined above, a council can delegate its powers, duties and functions to a committee, Officer or Employee, or to another body established by council." [page 3 of the Staff Report]

The City called a special meeting at 9am on September 19th and passed a new bylaw which allows for outsourcing of decisions. The other goal of the special meeting was to increase and strengthen expropriation laws.

https://nanaimodoyou...fd-f85e0426fb2d

Edited by dasmo, 29 September 2022 - 01:24 PM.

• David Arthur Johnston likes this

#2225 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 03:59 PM

I don't recall a time when there wasn't at least 30 candidates running for 8 council positions in the CoV. Sadly, name recognition is all that matters to most voters.

with vote splitting, sadly it’s just a “weird lottery”

#2226 Will

Will
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 04:31 PM

any discussion here yet on the role of the provincial NDP in the civic election?  Grumpy taxpayers noticed and then there is this:  https://twitter.com/...172226194395136

#2227 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 04:34 PM

The entire NDP machine is going to work for Marianne Alto, and any other candidates they wish to support. In past years the different levels of the party even shared voter contact lists, allegedly.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2228 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 04:34 PM

with vote splitting, sadly it’s just a “weird lottery”

We could go with the Haudenosaunee system where a chief is chosen by the clan mothers. They stay in office unless they get out of line. If they do get out of line the clan mothers give him three warnings. After the third warning if the chief is still misbehaving he get's a visit from "the man with no mercy". In this case it could be the mayor of the highlands... 

#2229 FedUpInFairfield

FedUpInFairfield
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 05:55 PM

David, maybe you should focus your outreach on another platform.

I think we’ve dedicated enough time to trying to understand what you mean, but there also appears to be little willingness from you to reciprocate that which I think you expect from others.

Out of respect for everyone here, David, take a break for a while, please. You’re not engaging with others here, you’re just pushing your platform on the rest of us. If members here feel you’re not responding to questions they pose of you, then it’s a one-way street. And that defeats the purpose of this forum.

Come back in a week and let us know how the campaign is going but we’ve reached the end of the road here.

Thank you for saying this - 

#2230 FedUpInFairfield

FedUpInFairfield
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 06:01 PM

Being a  Councillor ( or Mayor) is a real job with real responsibility. It is very unfortunate that at least two dozen candidates don’t expect or want to win. They just want 15 minutes of fame. Maybe we should charge them several thousand dollars ( refundable of course) if they don’t get more than a few hundred votes ( I think the “entry fee” is less than $200 bucks now

• JimV likes this

#2231 FedUpInFairfield

FedUpInFairfield
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 06:08 PM

An interesting read from the Times Colonist

Victoria’s urban camper has received a 90-day intermittent sentence for breaching two court orders when he pitched a tent in Centennial Square last year.

David Arthur Johnston, who advocates for the homeless and the right to camp in city parks, was arrested on Sept. 17, 2012, after pitching a tent in Centennial Square. He pleaded guilty to the two breaches the next day.

https://www.timescol...90-days-4574828

#2232 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 06:20 PM

We know who David is and his history. No need to mud rake especially since he is on a break here.
  • Nparker likes this

#2233 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:09 PM

While Mr. Johnston may be somewhat deluded about his standing in the upcoming election, I must give him some props for his willingness to engage with VV even if it hasn't been terribly enlightening. It's more than can be said for the one incumbent councillor.
  • dasmo and FogPub like this

#2234 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 09:50 PM

I would posit that David being here on V.V. has nothing whatsoever to do with the civic election, rather it's a manifestation of his endless quest for a soapbox.

He's a smart guy, so if his couple of dozen posts here on V.V. have left readers with a fairly accurate concept of what the society he'd personally love to live in looks like ... then he's accomplished his primary mission of  furthering the the agenda he began publicly espousing back in 2004, while on the grounds of St. Anns Academy.

#2235 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 10:45 PM

While I vehemently disagree with Mr. Johnston's agenda, he has still earned more of my respect than Comrade Isitt has in the past decade.
  • dasmo likes this

#2236 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,077 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 05:17 AM

screenshot-twitter.com-2022.09.30-09_16_45.png

screenshot-twitter.com-2022.09.30-09_14_29.png

#2237 JimV

JimV
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 06:52 AM

I was wavering about supporting Simmons for reasons I’ve stated earlier.  However, this latest bullying episode has convinced me to vote for her.

#2238 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 07:43 AM

Why is it all so nebulous? Simmons should file a police complaint if her safety is at risk.
  • spanky123 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2239 TransplantedEdmontonian

TransplantedEdmontonian
  • 39 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 September 2022 - 08:52 AM

Someone posted a quick synopsis of candidates running under VIVA, VLC or independent but I can no longer find it.  Really should have printed that post out when I read it the first time.

This forum software is craptacular; the search function may as well not even be there for how useless it is.

• Matt R. likes this

#2240 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 09:40 AM

The entire NDP machine is going to work for Marianne Alto, and any other candidates they wish to support. In past years the different levels of the party even shared voter contact lists, allegedly.

And the union machine and the UVIC machine and the CoV machine, etc.

Lots of subtle (if not outright) campaigning for Alto. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users