Photo

City of Victoria | 2022 municipal election + REGIONAL election night discussion/results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3079 replies to this topic

#2261 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 07:43 AM

Huh? Parenteau's platform is largely focused on a hard line to homeless camps and cutting up to $27 million in City spending. I wouldn't call that in line with the group's criteria including of affordable housing, tenant support, transportation, accessibility, climate action, or reconciliation. They also state they are supporting independent candidates of which Parenteau is not. I would seriously question the judgment of someone who willing associated themselves with the chaos that is VIVA.

Every one of those candidates has a hard line on homeless camps. Who among them wants homeless encampments in Victoria?

Why shouldn’t Victoria cut $27 million in City spending? If we can cut the bloat, why not? Most households are doing it as costs rise. Maybe a municipal government should consider austerity as well, and not rely on more taxation.

I can’t speak for all of VIVA because I am only familiar with Parenteau, who has talked reasonable sense on a number of issues. I’m glad Dasmo linked his page, as I was not aware of him before.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2262 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 07:47 AM

That’s exactly my list except for Quitzau. I don’t know why anyone would think that some kid whose only experience is with UVIC student council should have anything to do with city government.

That’s a head scratcher as well. Was it just in a pursuit to add an eighth candidate?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2263 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 07:59 AM

Huh? Parenteau's platform is largely focused on a hard line to homeless camps and cutting up to $27 million in City spending. I wouldn't call that in line with the group's criteria including of affordable housing, tenant support, transportation, accessibility, climate action, or reconciliation. They also state they are supporting independent candidates of which Parenteau is not. I would seriously question the judgment of someone who willing associated themselves with the chaos that is VIVA.

How is Parenteau not independent? Where is the chaos around VIVA? Isn't it great that disengagement is going down and regular people are stepping up? They have formed a slate based on trying to get the established web out of municipal politics but each candidate is independent. How is that chaos? That is democracy at it's best. 

• Nparker, LJ and A Girl is No one like this

#2264 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,152 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 08:03 AM

^ Here is one example of some possible chaos.

https://www.cheknews...il-1099952/?amp
  • martini and JohnsonStBridge like this

#2265 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 08:19 AM

^ Here is one example of some possible chaos.

https://www.cheknews...il-1099952/?amp

It's going to get dirty... Especially against these candidates. They are explicitly against the establishment. So expect more "far right" hate from the anti-hate network. 

Look at the language of this article. "ties to the People’s Party of Canada." like it is a terrorist organization. It's not my party but they are a legitimate political party of Canada. To speak like that about them is Marxist style neuro linguistic programing at it's worst.

• Nparker, LJ, A Girl is No one and 3 others like this

#2266 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,152 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 08:25 AM

I didn't say it was going to be pretty. :)

• dasmo likes this

#2267 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 08:27 AM

If you are not 100% on board with the climate change narrative you are far-right.

If you are against sexualizing kindergarten students you are far-right.

If you are for body autonomy from the state you are far-right

If you are for the rule of law you are far-right.

If you are for community safety you are far-right.

It's lost it's meaning at this point. 

• Nparker, LJ, Love the rock and 4 others like this

#2268 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 08:31 AM

That's it in a nutshell, dasmo.

• dasmo likes this

#2269 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 10:03 AM

I would also seriously question a candidate who would defend Proud Boys and Gavin McInnes. Pretty sure Proud Boys was deemed a terrorist organization. Albeit this was five years ago, but the posts are still up on FB. 

Edited by martini, 04 October 2022 - 10:21 AM.

• JohnsonStBridge likes this

#2270 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 10:14 AM

I would also seriously question a candidate who would defend Proud Boys and Gavin McInnes. Pretty sure Proud Boys was deemed a terrorist organization. Albeit this was five years ago, but the posts are still up on FB. 

I just looked him up. He co-founded VICE which is an awful propaganda machines so he must be terrible. 

#2271 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 10:20 AM

I just looked him up. He co-founded VICE which is an awful propaganda machines so he must be terrible. 

That's all you found? https://en.wikipedia...i/Gavin_McInnes

#2272 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 10:30 AM

Good thing he isn't running! He sounds like the worst human on the planet. I'm surprised he has any friends at all.

Some proof that this Parenteau person identifies as a far-right violent fascist extremists would make you better than those that simply spread misinformation and hate to fulfil their agendas. 

• Nparker likes this

#2273 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 10:44 AM

No I also found out that he started the hipster movement. So that's strike 2! I like beards but I'm just not a fan of silly mustaches. 

#2274 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 10:45 AM

Good thing he isn't running! He sounds like the worst human on the planet. I'm surprised he has any friends at all.

Some proof that this Parenteau person identifies as a far-right violent fascist extremists would make you better than those that simply spread misinformation and hate to fulfil their agendas. 

One doesn't have to identify as such. Association does matter. Ideology does matter. It was something that stuck with me. That he posted. That's not misinformation. 

#2275 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 10:50 AM

One doesn't have to identify as such. Association does matter. Ideology does matter. It was something that stuck with me. That he posted. That's not misinformation. 

It is unless you prove it. 

I am associated with all sorts of unsavory characters now because I didn't want to let the state inject me or my family or my friends or the rest of the world with an experimental injection. I don't look at these Wikipedia entrees with the same lens anymore. 

So yes, unless you prove his ideology aligns with far-right violet extremism then you are spreading misinformation. 

Just having read VICE or being a hipster is not enough proof.... 

Edited by dasmo, 04 October 2022 - 10:51 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#2276 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 11:04 AM

It is unless you prove it. 

I am associated with all sorts of unsavory characters now because I didn't want to let the state inject me or my family or my friends or the rest of the world with an experimental injection. I don't look at these Wikipedia entrees with the same lens anymore. 

So yes, unless you prove his ideology aligns with far-right violet extremism then you are spreading misinformation. 

Just having read VICE or being a hipster is not enough proof.... 

The state and experimental injections? Ok. I'm not going to waste my time or yours. 

• Matt R. likes this

#2277 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 11:05 AM

The state and experimental injections? Ok. I'm not going to waste my time or yours. 

So no proof then. Also defamation. 

Edited by dasmo, 04 October 2022 - 11:06 AM.

#2278 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 11:12 AM

Also...

" The State"" is a nation or territory considered as an organized political community under one government." So a way of saying multiple levels of government since the mandates were rolled out at many government levels. 

and these MRNA biolic products are experimental. They haven't even finished their clinical trials yet. 

So my statement doesn't really excuse you popping in here to defame a candidate and run.... If you make a claim the burden of proof is on you. 

#2279 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 11:24 AM

Also...

" The State"" is a nation or territory considered as an organized political community under one government." So a way of saying multiple levels of government since the mandates were rolled out at many government levels. 

and these MRNA biolic products are experimental. They haven't even finished their clinical trials yet. 

So my statement doesn't really excuse you popping in here to defame a candidate and run.... If you make a claim the burden of proof is on you. 

I did not 'pop in' to 'defame' anyone. I subscribe to this topic and am not receiving notifications. I got to the last page and saw his name. Responded to a post. Based on a previous interaction I had. 

I'm not wasting my time arguing with an anti-vaxer. It's pointless. 

#2280 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 11:25 AM

I did not 'pop in' to 'defame' anyone. I subscribe to this topic and am not receiving notifications. I got to the last page and saw his name. Responded to a post. Based on a previous interaction I had. 

I'm not wasting my time arguing with an anti-vaxer. It's pointless. 

Good. I find it is pointless arguing with someone who spreads misinformation about others without proof. 

• David Arthur Johnston likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)