City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#3141 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 31 August 2019 - 05:16 PM

How many of these same conferences has the Chair of the CRD attended? Or Saanich? Heck any Mayor from Vancouver?

• Nparker, AndrewReeve, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#3142 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,756 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 07:14 PM

All cost considerations aside, anyone flying thousands of kilometers to attend a "climate conference" when perfectly reasonable green alternatives are available is an utter and complete hypocrite.

• Love the rock, mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#3143 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 10:36 AM

All cost considerations aside, anyone flying thousands of kilometers to attend a "climate conference" when perfectly reasonable green alternatives are available is an utter and complete hypocrite.

My opinion is that this is more of a personal branding and job search exercise then it has anything to do with improving the operations of the City or lives of its inhabitants. 

I think that there was a thought that by having the NDP put Laurel forward they could shift the balance in council back to Helps. Now that that seems unlikely, I think there is a very real chance that Helps leaves before the end of the term for some six figure UN role and justifies it on the basis of being able to have a bigger impact.

• rjag, SimonH, Love the rock and 1 other like this

#3144 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 01 September 2019 - 12:57 PM

My opinion is that this is more of a personal branding and job search exercise then it has anything to do with improving the operations of the City or lives of its inhabitants. 

This.  :thumbsup:

#3145 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,756 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 01:59 PM

My opinion is that this is more of a personal branding and job search exercise then it has anything to do with improving the operations of the City or lives of its inhabitants...

I agree 100%. I strongly suspect Her Worseship's entire second term as mayor is about getting the Lisa brand "out there" and using the CoV taxpayer to fund the costs associated with that. I've said it before and I am sure I will say it again, Lisa Helps may be despicable but she's no dummy.

#3146 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:42 AM

The CoV’s call for artists to enter a $500 winter banner design competition has turned into a pile-on against the city.

Graphic designers are urging professionals not to participate, people are asking why the artists in residence are not designing them, and others still feel that this is a move by the City to erase Christmas-themed imagery from its holiday decorations.

Here are some of the comments on our Facebook page:

Soliciting unpaid spec work from graphic designers and artists. Why would any professional want to work for free?? @City of Victoria - Local Government NOT COOL. FYI The Society of Graphic Designers does not endorse the participation of such by professional members.❌

Imagine going to a restaurant and asking each cook to make you a plate and the best one gets paid.

F*ck off.

I hope everyone can see through the BS on this ploy a mile away! Literally nothing wrong with the existing decorations except *someone* finds them offensive 🙄🤦🏻‍♀️🙄🤦🏻‍♀️
Spend the money on the police budget instead!

Is the City not paying $72K for an artist in residence and also I do believe $42K for a part time artist in residence, hmmmm.

This is just a way for Asshat to get his way about the Christmas decorations! DON'T fall for it!!
Mayor Moonbeam and A**hat and the rest of the clowns need to leave our Xmas decorations alone!! Quit wasting taxpayers money!

And so on. This obviously struck a chord.
  • Nparker and newbie_01 like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3147 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,047 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:50 AM

this literally happens EVERY SINGLE TIME somebody runs a design competition.

#3148 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:25 AM

this literally happens EVERY SINGLE TIME somebody runs a design competition.

Which is crazy when you consider that before the City ever goes out to competition, they have already chosen the "winner" :-)

#3149 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:27 AM

I agree 100%. I strongly suspect Her Worseship's entire second term as mayor is about getting the Lisa brand "out there" and using the CoV taxpayer to fund the costs associated with that. I've said it before and I am sure I will say it again, Lisa Helps may be despicable but she's no dummy.

Which is why I stated earlier my opinion that no significant City business would be done before the end of the current term. Protecting the brand will take priority and anything that might cast the Mayor in a bad light outside of her social circles will be deferred.

• Nparker likes this

#3150 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:31 AM

The consensus now is that Isitt will run for mayor in 2022, and he is quite likely to win unless there is a sudden shift away from progressive politics in the CoV or a superstar candidate emerges.

As it currently stands, I feel as though the only councillor who could win over Isitt is Loveday so I don’t think there will be a run on the mayoralty by Alto, TJ or Young unless one or more of them take that as an opportunity to exit politics with a what-if shot at the top seat.

I think it’s already been concluded by many that Collins nixed any chance of being elected to the feds with the horse carriage and Remembrance Day fiascos (even though she eventually voted against Isitt’s motion), but in her defence the Greens have thus far done a terrible job of positioning Kooy as the right person for the job. We know so little about her and what her leadership style is, and the election is weeks away.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3151 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,756 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:02 AM

The consensus now is that Isitt will run for mayor in 2022 and he is quite likely to win...

If this nightmare scenario does come to pass, I hope to be in a position at that time to sell my condo and move out of the CoV. The idea of having this vile person in a leadership capacity in Victoria, makes me quite ill.

• weirdie, mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#3152 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:00 AM

I think it’s already been concluded by many that Collins nixed any chance of being elected to the feds with the horse carriage and Remembrance Day fiascos (even though she eventually voted against Isitt’s motion), but in her defence the Greens have thus far done a terrible job of positioning Kooy as the right person for the job. We know so little about her and what her leadership style is, and the election is weeks away.

I think that at the Federal level most people vote for the party and not the MP. Not knowing anything about Kooy probably doesn’t hurt her.

I also think by the time 2022 comes around Laurel will be re-elected in Victoria as long as she toes the progressive line.

#3153 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:42 AM

And still Lisa's Trump-like supporters will fall all over themselves in supporting this hypocrite.

I think any reasonable voter would see this as unneccessary, no matter what your views on climate change. But the advantage of cultivating an ardent base is that they will support you no matter what. Covering up sexual harrassment? "Can do. We love it." Racking up endless air miles and emissions in the quest for a new job? "That's some great governance" and so on. Just like the Trump rally goons, complete absence of rational thought.
  • Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

#3154 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:45 AM

If this nightmare scenario does come to pass, I hope to be in a position at that time to sell my condo and move out of the CoV. The idea of having this vile person in a leadership capacity in Victoria, makes me quite ill.

Last I checked, he had turned off his twitter again. Possibly trying to restrain himself from blurting out too many crazy pronoucements in the hope of rehabilitating his image so that he can make another mayoral run, a mayoral win being the only food that can hope to feed the ego. Sadly, it could happen.

Edited by rmpeers, 03 September 2019 - 08:45 AM.

#3155 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:46 AM

The Trump rally goons just aren't afraid to show what other political backers shy away from. In politics once the lines are drawn they're drawn. It's no different than sticking with a football team for 30 years.

Know it all.

#3156 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:12 PM

So this is $4,000 that if approved, will come from the City's contingency budget? Curious if this will get approved. Question is though, what if some other unanticipated opportunity arises for our glorious leader to boost her profile and help land another job?

In any case, even for a mayor who wears her contempt for her constituents as a badge of honour, this is pretty brazen.
  • Nparker, Love the rock and pennymurphy2000 like this

#3157 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,756 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:35 PM

So this is $4,000 that if approved, will come from the City's contingency budget? Curious if this will get approved...

I'd be much more curious to learn that it didn't get approved. Has any travel request by a member of this council been turned down?

#3158 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:31 AM

Not strictly on topic but Beto O'Rourke getting some press by opting to eschew a flight from New York to Boston in favour of a 4 hour ride on the Bolt bus.

Someone should alert our local frequent flier that this is a great way to actually walk the talk and get media coverage.
  • Nparker, rjag, mbjj and 1 other like this

#3159 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:17 AM

Question:  I'm curious as to what VV'ers would think about transitioning from an at-large system in municipal elections to a district or ward-based system.  Personally, I'd be in favour of it as I find it cumbersome to select 8 council candidates each election out of a long list...

I have been advocating for this for a couple of decades now I think. I like representative democracy and the ability to talk to the one person who represents my neighbourhood, ward, district, or riding.

The huge list of candidates from which people choose a number is a way to entrench parties and organizations. If you didn't like Ben, Jeremy and Together Victoria getting elected then you should love a ward system where people might actually have a clue about the candidates.

• Nparker and rjag like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#3160 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:44 PM

I'd be much more curious to learn that it didn't get approved. Has any travel request by a member of this council been turned down?

I don't want to post any spoilers here, but here is a cryptic clue as to the outcome: "Start spreadin' the news..."
  • Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users