Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#3181 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:22 PM

I have to admit, I am. Impressed. One day after Focus yet again exposes more details on the bridge fiasco, a social media ‘crisis’ arises and the news cycle is filled with Helps threatening to shut off twitter because some anonymous fool mixes up her and Isitt and claims she supported removing xmas lights.

How convenient. Lord forbid that the media talking heads might start asking why City staff lied and said the bridge was fixed when it wasn’t and what damage was actually done when the seals and o-rings failed!

If that was the move, it's certainly one that has worked well before. The mayor dispatched a flunky to to pull a simiar stunt after the worst of the Elsner report came out. Don't mess with success.
  • Nparker, spanky123 and Love the rock like this

#3182 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:58 AM

I have to admit, I am. Impressed. One day after Focus yet again exposes more details on the bridge fiasco, a social media ‘crisis’ arises and the news cycle is filled with Helps threatening to shut off twitter because some anonymous fool mixes up her and Isitt and claims she supported removing xmas lights.
How convenient. Lord forbid that the media talking heads might start asking why City staff lied and said the bridge was fixed when it wasn’t and what damage was actually done when the seals and o-rings failed!

Isn’t that right out of the Trump handbook
  • spanky123 likes this

#3183 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,932 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:17 AM

I don’t know. one person wrote one thing about her in one twitter post. and that makes all the news outlets?

i suspect she did not really get hundreds of emails /messages over it as she is quoted as saying. since the original tweet never tagged her.

Helps told Black Press that she’s received hundreds of hateful messages that she feels have no foundation.

https://www.vicnews....ghts-are-false/

One political scientist says it’s become an important but often unpleasant part of the job
“Unfortunately it is, but we do know that women and politicians of colour, especially if they have an accent, will experience this more-so in terms of being attacked,” said University of Victoria Political Scientist Janni Aragon.

https://www.cheknews...s-false-602866/

not sure where she pulls that statistic from. but it sounds like the kind of thing she’d say.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 September 2019 - 11:26 AM.

#3184 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:44 AM

She’s the mayor.

Everything her city employees and her councillors do ties back to her. That’s how it works.

Instead of complaining, it would have been more effective and appropriate for the mayor to reference in her own tweet Councillor Isitt’s motion and a link to further information on that motion. End of story. Rinse and repeat for the hundreds of emails.

This has blown up for all the wrong reasons.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3185 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:44 PM

If you get wound up tightly because someone posts a comment ON THEIR OWN SOCIAL MEDIA FEED then you likely shouldn't be in the public spotlight, male or female. 

#3186 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:08 PM

she's milking this and playing the gender victim card. Lots of other female and LGBT politicians in this region and none of them experience the venom thrown her way. One can only surmise its not because of her plumbing or her haircut but more likely her style of leadership

• Nparker, GaryRanson and A Girl is No one like this

#3187 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:13 PM

https://noflyclimatesci.org/

#3188 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:24 PM

#sjwvictoriahpypocrisy

#3189 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:10 PM

If you get wound up tightly because someone posts a comment ON THEIR OWN SOCIAL MEDIA FEED then you likely shouldn't be in the public spotlight, male or female.

Also should probably change your own profile, which says "doesn't repond to hate" or something like that. If that is indeed how she operates (and it seems a solid approach), then why choose to suddenly kick up a fuss over this particular wingnut?
  • Nparker likes this

#3190 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,932 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:24 AM

it’s also hardly a “hate” message. it’s just something about christmas lights. jeepers why the fuss.
  • Belleprincess likes this

#3191 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:12 AM

She’s the mayor.

Everything her city employees and her councillors do ties back to her. That’s how it works.

Instead of complaining, it would have been more effective and appropriate for the mayor to reference in her own tweet Councillor Isitt’s motion and a link to further information on that motion. End of story. Rinse and repeat for the hundreds of emails.

This has blown up for all the wrong reasons.

Walking around the office yesterday and listening to conversations at the water cooler, I am not sure that the Mayor's position is having the desired effect with her target constituents. 

Instead of being sympathetic to the Mayor's claims that a social media post will discourage women from taking on high profile careers, the reaction I am seeing with young women is either the rolling of eyes or outright indignation that the Mayor is suggesting that women cannot defend themselves or take criticism any differently then men. 

• rjag and Midnightly like this

#3192 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:47 AM

What this does do is make it more difficult for someone to cordially challenge the mayor on social media. Any statement considered unfavourable will be attacked, even viciously, and the debate will be whittled down into a "you just hate the mayor" exchange that obviously becomes unproductive.

I've seen this happen on numerous occasions already where verifiable facts presented in a non-combative manner are attacked vehemently for simply being raised. That's not right.

• spanky123, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3193 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:54 AM

What this does do is make it more difficult for someone to cordially challenge the mayor on social media. Any statement considered unfavourable will be attacked, even viciously, and the debate will be whittled down into a "you just hate the mayor" exchange that obviously becomes unproductive.

I've seen this happen on numerous occasions already where verifiable facts presented in a non-combative manner are attacked vehemently for simply being raised. That's not right.

Yes indeed. Definitely happened when people tried to call the mayor out on the Elsner stuff. Shame that those same people weren't worried about bullying when it was happening to Elser's subordinates... flexible principles.
  • Nparker, spanky123, Love the rock and 2 others like this

#3194 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,932 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:57 AM

in the retail thread today you mean?

#3195 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:02 PM

call me a little crazy.. something just seems off about the whole thing....

a random person makes a random negative comment about the mayor on twitter, not even tagging the mayor... then the mayor gets "hundreds" or hate filled emails about this that she must investigate.... she then feeds into the drama of it all by retweeting the post on her personal twitter account bringing it to full attention... the then goes on the media and plays the pitty party on how she's being attacked and vicious lies are being spread about her because she's a woman in a leadership role...

i donno... its starting to feel a little big staged... a little bit stretched from the truth, and a little bit encouraged for drama's sake and to get media coverage... and also maybe for a distraction against other things a bit of "look at over here folks... nothing to see over there behind the curtain"  for all we know maybe she was feeling some of her base was slipping so she had to create a scandal to get them to stand beside her and chant "i am woman hear me roar"  

• Nparker, rjag and Belleprincess like this

#3196 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,932 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:45 AM

exactly. it’s a lot of mountain coming from such a molehill.

#3197 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:47 AM

call me a little crazy.. something just seems off about the whole thing....

The real irony is that if you ask the Mayor a reasonable question through Twitter she isn't going to answer you. 

• rjag and A Girl is No one like this

#3198 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 September 2019 - 12:42 AM

I see Isitt and co. are still trying to go after the horse-drawn carriages, as per Friday's paper.  Like a dog with a bone.....

#3199 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:38 AM

I'm sure the carriage operators are totally fed up! Talk about being harassed.

#3200 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:53 AM

At this point I think I'd be filing some sort of harassment lawsuit if I was a carriage operator.

• Midnightly likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users