Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#5001 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,001 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 12:35 PM

...It is no longer about service it is about "how much money can I make"!!

And how much of my personal agenda can I push through whether or not it is really in the public's best interest?

• rjag, pennymurphy2000 and rmpeers like this

#5002 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 May 2020 - 01:07 PM

so funny the anti-capitalists anti-free marketers wanting wage increases. These people are delusional and entitled. Its not a career, its supposed to be public service with a small compensation package. Then after a term or 2, move on back to the real world, get a real job and then live with the results of your ideology like the rest of society

Unfortunately the Province created this problem for everyone as the Community Charter as is gives these "local politicians" too much ambiguity in their powers of which they abuse and get drunk on and end up making decisions (e.g. banning plastic bags, buying real estate to convert to socialized housing, free bus passes to youth, etc) that are in the portfolio's of crown corporations/provincial & federal govs.

I'm all for advocacy on behalf of your small interest groups but on your own time as that's not the role of a municipality! The role of a municipality, or at least initially, was to provide services such as water/sewer/fire/police/etc (really, in a perfect world I think you'd have crown corps for all of these but I digress...) along with creating/acquiring land for/managing parks, urban planning, roads, am I missing anything?

• Mike K., rjag, sukika and 1 other like this

#5003 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 01:48 PM

Council needs to understand that good intentions does not equal good governance. 

• Nparker and GetLisaSomeHelps like this

#5004 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,001 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 01:53 PM

There's a reason why the saying is "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

*Of course locally this would be "The bike lane to Hell is paved with good intentions." or "The road to Hell is poorly paved with good intentions."

• sukika and GetLisaSomeHelps like this

#5005 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 02:17 PM

Adam Stirling called them something like "a tag team clown council".

• Nparker, A Girl is No one and jrm like this

#5006 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,771 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 02:55 PM

Councillor Isitt today said pro car lobbyists (effectively) are using seniors and their mobility issues as pawns in their pursuit of growing car culture.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5007 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,001 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 02:58 PM

If anyone knows about using vulnerable citizens to further their own agenda it's Comrade Isitt et al.

• rjag, NotHudsonMack, pennymurphy2000 and 3 others like this

#5008 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 03:03 PM

Councillor Isitt today said pro car lobbyists (effectively) are using seniors and their mobility issues as pawns in their pursuit of growing car culture.

Isitt knows all about exploiting unrelated issues to meet one' own agenda.

That said, some of the same people on here who are worried about the seniors being able to visit the park were perfectly happy to let them die two weeks ago if it meant we could keep businesses open, so I suppose we all have our own selective reasoning on some level.

• NotHudsonMack and Brayvehart like this

#5009 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 14 May 2020 - 03:06 PM

Call me overly ultraistic  but in my mind those entering local politics should be doing so to give back to their community not make a living from it. It is a sense of duty and service that should drive them. Not the amount of money that they can earn.

There are thousands of people who give their time and effort  for the greater good who would never think to ask for money for that time. 

I'm not saying that our local politicians shouldn't be paid but that should not be their motivation to be elected. If it is - they are the wrong person for the job and should be turfed at the first opportunity.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#5010 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 May 2020 - 03:19 PM

no ben, i just have no desire to go to Costco/Home Depot on my bike so would like to keep the whole driving option available...

• Nparker likes this

#5011 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 03:40 PM

Car culture?  I can only assume he's referring to this

Attached Images

• The_Fast_and_the_Furious_%28DVD_Cover%29.jpg

• Mike K. and m3m like this

#5012 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 04:42 PM

"So these car lobbyists that are out to get you... are they working together with the fascists who are after you?... I see, very interesting... I'm going to increase your prescription... I'm sorry our hour is up, we can talk about the Police State next session..."
  • NotHudsonMack, mbjj and newbie_01 like this

#5013 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 05:08 PM

How ridiculous. As I've said before, when I had my surgery my husband would drive me INTO the park so I could enjoy it. When I have my next surgery I'll likely be the same. My friend with the fractured pelvis, the same. Deprived of entering the park is what it boils down to.

• Nparker and jrm like this

#5014 jrm

jrm
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 05:30 PM

Adam Stirling called them something like "a tag team clown council".

How ridiculous. As I've said before, when I had my surgery my husband would drive me INTO the park so I could enjoy it. When I have my next surgery I'll likely be the same. My friend with the fractured pelvis, the same. Deprived of entering the park is what it boils down to.

I am so sad that it has come to this.  Victoria is known for its retired people and all the amenities that are available for them.  This Mayor and Council have slowly eroded so many of the good things about Victoria.  She ran saying she would deal with the issues of homelessness and affordable housing in the city and it is a whole lot worse than when she was elected.  I surely hope that in the next election when they all lose that they have to find a real job and live like the rest of the world.

• Nparker and rmpeers like this

#5015 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 05:39 PM

I don't even feel all that old. Up until last year I worked at my job for 25 years, on my feet for hours. I'd still likely be working if things hadn't taken a turn. I'm not old, nor disabled. It was an unexpected surgery.  A person could be in a car accident at age 25 and not able to walk into the park.

Edited by mbjj, 14 May 2020 - 05:42 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#5016 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,001 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 05:40 PM

I surely hope that in the next election when they all lose...

I hope you are right about this part. I have lost my faith in the Victoria electorate to make wise choices at election time.

• NotHudsonMack, mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#5017 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:05 PM

I grew up in Duncan, been coming to Victoria since the late 1950s, lived here since 1975. Never did I expect to see it deteriorate to this extent. It's been gutted. If I didn't like my little house and garden, we would consider moving. We can't afford the taxes and it's too stressful.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#5018 LJ

LJ
  • 12,790 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:42 PM

I think the only way Lisa and her band of clowns get defanged is to have business after business close down and move to another muni, followed by a stampede of citizens. Once there is no tax base there is no money for her to waste.

• Nparker, Love the rock and mbjj like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5019 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:45 PM

Perhaps, but She’s been finding ways to spend BC taxpayers money too....
I still think Horgan got played by Helps in the Victoria tent cities fiasco. How does a city of fewer than 100k people end up with more tent city self described «  humans » than Vancouver and even SAN Fran’s tenderloin??

Edited by A Girl is No one, 14 May 2020 - 07:46 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#5020 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:47 PM

Is there a record of who voted in favour of making Beacon Hill Park less accessible?

Also, I see Ben's thirst to cause suffering has not yet been quenched. Now he's got Clover Point in his sites.

Today Beacon Hill Park, tomorrow the world...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users