City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#5041 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:40 AM

Why is no-one coming to the defense of Isitt/Helps on these forums? We know there are Isitt/Helps acolytes that monitor this. Wheres Corey and the rest of the anti car lobby? Surely to goodness they can present a strong business case?

We know Jeremy Loveday monitors this forum....so Jeremy, you were the architect of this recent BHP proposal, why dont you come on here and defend your position? 

• sebberry and A Girl is No one like this

#5042 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:55 AM

By that logic, the best way to stop climate change would be mass executions.

Depopulation is absolutely their end game, and they do not hide it. But since executions tend to not sit well with people (think nazis and all), they are going about it through starvation. The lockdown’s impact on third world countries will be devastating and I suspect many people will die as a result.

#5043 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:28 AM

Why is no-one coming to the defense of Isitt/Helps on these forums? ... 

I'd like to think it's because their actions are indefensible. On the other hand, Victoria voters re-elected a mayor who enabled the cover-up of sexual misconduct in her own police department. It seems as though "vile" and "contemptible" are qualities endorsed by a certain segment of the local population.

• rjag, mbjj, pennymurphy2000 and 3 others like this

#5044 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:44 AM

Another possibility: life is short, and it's foolish to waste time arguing with people who have repeatedly stated that they hate you and everything you stand for.

• spanky123, Redd42, A Girl is No one and 3 others like this

#5045 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 May 2020 - 10:34 AM

Another possibility: life is short, and it's foolish to waste time arguing with people who have repeatedly stated that they hate you and everything you stand for.

I doubt you'll find the word 'hate' used here. More like 'inept' 'elitist' 'zealot'...but if you run for public office then you know it comes with the territory

#5046 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 May 2020 - 11:49 AM

It's likely people who hold controversial positions would rather surround themselves with supporters.  Why battle your enemies when you can surround yourself with peace and love?  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5047 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 12:25 PM

Sure, that's part of it. But I suspect politicians would also prefer to spend their limited time with a) people who can help them realize their goals, or b) representatives of opposing positions who are willing to engage in debate instead of name-calling. The anonymous members of an online forum (who likely don't even live in their municipality) are not high on their list.

• Rob Randall, spanky123, On the Level and 1 other like this

#5048 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 12:35 PM

^ The other factor is that by and by folks here complain but don't organize and actually DO anything. The people I know in elected positions read VV to make sure that they can get ahead of information leaks (ie Pandora St purchase) and know which topics are likely going to be controversial (ie BHP), but have no interest in connecting with anyone not in a position to help them.

There are several groups in town with only a handful of members, but who are very active and outspoken, who they are far more concerned about.

• A Girl is No one and jrm like this

#5049 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 02:07 PM

Sure, that's part of it. But I suspect politicians would also prefer to spend their limited time with a) people who can help them realize their goals, or b) representatives of opposing positions who are willing to engage in debate instead of name-calling. The anonymous members of an online forum (who likely don't even live in their municipality) are not high on their list.

I live in the city and have written two emails to city council. I got the standard bunch of BS back. I truly wish one of them would suffer a serious health issue so they can see how mean-spirited they're being.

• Nparker and jrm like this

#5050 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 May 2020 - 02:26 PM

I live in the city and have written two emails to city council. I got the standard bunch of BS back. I truly wish one of them would suffer a serious health issue so they can see how mean-spirited they're being.

I hate to wish bad health on anyone, but I do sometimes wish Ben could experience what it's like to live with an invisible disability.  Maybe then he'd change his tune about who he represents.  

• rjag and mbjj like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5051 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 06:02 PM

I hate to wish bad health on anyone, but I do sometimes wish Ben could experience what it's like to live with an invisible disability.  Maybe then he'd change his tune about who he represents.  

Up until last year I was perfectly fit and healthy. I had no symptoms whatsoever. My problem was found through a routine test. It's devastating and the two surgeries were very hard on my body. I used to have a job where I was on my feet. I went from that to having to use a walker, even around the house. I really do sympathize with people much more now. To look at me you wouldn't think I had a problem, but I'm still awaiting a further surgery. It was certainly a dose of reality.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#5052 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 06:55 PM

. The anonymous members of an online forum (who likely don't even live in their municipality) are not high on their list.

You mean like some of the city councillors?

• Nparker, rjag, sebberry and 2 others like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5053 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:02 PM

Depopulation is absolutely their end game, and they do not hide it. But since executions tend to not sit well with people (think nazis and all), they are going about it through starvation. The lockdown’s impact on third world countries will be devastating and I suspect many people will die as a result.

There is a lot that the CoV council is responsible for, and would have a hard time responding to in a rational discussion.  At times, they can use the vitriol thrown at them from this site as an easy cover. 

There have been posts stating they have some sort of linkages to being Nazis, Anarchists, etc.  Nonsense.

I am not saying there isn't much to be angry about, there is.  This council needs to be held accountable.

But don't make VV out as a discreditable source of extremists as a leverage to discredit a reasonable voice.

• Daveyboy and Brayvehart like this

#5054 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:09 PM

They aren't Nazis or anarchists but they are radically left ideologues by any measure. They are from the world of academic leftism. It's out there by any reasonable standard
  • Nparker, rjag, Awaiting Juno and 3 others like this

#5055 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 17 May 2020 - 06:32 AM

Here's the problem, a person doesn't need first hand experience in order to have empathy for others who are not in their community.  In fact our council members seem to have an abundance of empathy and a willingness to go above and beyond for the homeless and addicted in our community, and yet, I do not believe any member on council has actually been homeless or addicted.  Which is probably part of the reason why they're unable to see that many of their actions, while well intentioned, only enable rather than truly help.

All a person really has to do is listen to those who aren't in their "community" - listen to those whose experiences aren't the same as theirs.  Understand that there isn't a singular right answer to a problem, although there can be very wrong approaches to solving problems.  

In making policy there are always going to be winners and losers - very rarely will a policy be such where everyone is made better off and no body is made worse off (whenever that happens, the policy should be pursued).  However, unless the gains of the winners outweigh the losses of the losers, the policy is a step in the wrong direction.  The people who are gaining in this case really aren't gaining much - they already had plenty of options to "socially distance", and likely are younger and healthier - so really aren't even at elevated risk from the virus.  The people who are losing though, already have their opportunities to enjoy this city diminished due to lack of accessibility, and sadly many are at an elevated risk from this virus.  To lose what little one may have had is a great loss indeed - and this falls into that category.  

Once again, via the by-election, I'm hoping we're able to get a more balanced voice to the table.  Somebody who is thoughtful and pragmatic in their approach to the policies put forward.

• Nparker, LJ, sebberry and 8 others like this

#5056 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:00 AM

There is a lot that the CoV council is responsible for, and would have a hard time responding to in a rational discussion. At times, they can use the vitriol thrown at them from this site as an easy cover.

There have been posts stating they have some sort of linkages to being Nazis, Anarchists, etc. Nonsense.

I am not saying there isn't much to be angry about, there is. This council needs to be held accountable.

But don't make VV out as a discreditable source of extremists as a leverage to discredit a reasonable voice.

Ah yes, i can see how this could read like I’m a crackpot! And I get your point. I don’t call them nazis, what I meant is that people know not to do what nazis did. I do think that the leftist agenda that our city councillors adhere to such as climate change is almost certainly going to lead to many lives lost in countries that could really use the technology that we have access to. And I’m not sure that this isn’t intentional. Many environmentalists think there are too many humans on the planet and that depopulation is the only way to save the planet.
I hope this clarifies. 😊
  • On the Level likes this

#5057 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:03 AM

I've decided to give up on Beacon Hill Park. I"ll DRIVE up to Government House to enjoy the flowers and I'll DRIVE to park at the Oak Bay Marina to enjoy the ocean. Victoria clearly is a very unwelcoming place. I'll try to spend my money in different municipalities whenever possible too.

• Nparker and jrm like this

#5058 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:15 AM

Up until last year I was perfectly fit and healthy. I had no symptoms whatsoever. My problem was found through a routine test. It's devastating and the two surgeries were very hard on my body. I used to have a job where I was on my feet. I went from that to having to use a walker, even around the house. I really do sympathize with people much more now. To look at me you wouldn't think I had a problem, but I'm still awaiting a further surgery. It was certainly a dose of reality.

Sorry to hear that mbjj. I hope your health gets better soon.
  • Nparker, Hotel Mike, Love the rock and 1 other like this

#5059 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:34 AM

... Victoria clearly is a very unwelcoming place. I'll try to spend my money in different municipalities whenever possible too.

This is a conscious choice I am making now as well.

• mbjj and jrm like this

#5060 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 08:49 AM

Sorry to hear that mbjj. I hope your health gets better soon.

Thanks. Having part of your intestine poking out is no fun!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users