Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#5881 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 09:10 PM

Can't she just shut down the press like she did her twitter account?

“..motion put forward by Helps and Coun. Charlayne Thorton Joe recommends council request staff ask companies to remove newspaper boxes from city property...”: https://www.bclocaln...d-in-september/
  • rmpeers likes this

#5882 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:40 PM

I watched Helps' presser yesterday on facebook where she responded to a question from CTV regarding the two positions Victoria council approved for their buddies in diversity and inclusion. You can watch the response yourself at 13:00 but Helps makes it clear that she didn't support the motion and felt that it was more important to balance the budget.  https://www.facebook...315938279620919

I thought to myself wow, that doesn't sound like Lisa Helps at all. Not wanting to hire activists to further her agenda, concern for how much things cost. I wonder how the conversation at the COTW meeting really went.

Well at 2:50 you can hear for yourself. Technically Mayor Helps was not lying, she did vote against hiring two people. She voted against the motion though because she wanted to pre-approve hiring five people into the roles.

https://pub-victoria...85-9e9016c6a857

Funny how she left that part out of the response to CTV.

Edited by spanky123, 08 August 2020 - 03:42 PM.

• Nparker, NotHudsonMack, grantpalin and 3 others like this

#5883 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:43 PM

What is she saying at these pressers? Is this Covid related, if so I think everyone gets plenty of intel from other more credible sources.

The Mayor talks about all of the good things she has accomplished and thanks various people for their help. She then takes a few questions from those permitted to attend the presser at City hall and those given the telephone number to call. Usually takes about 15-20 minutes.

#5884 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,749 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:46 PM

If Victoria had some journalists who actually did their jobs and fully investigated the actions of our local politicians, Her Worseship would have been confronted with this "alternate fact".

• NotHudsonMack, grantpalin, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#5885 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:54 PM

If Victoria had some journalists who actually did their jobs and fully investigated the actions of our local politicians, Her Worseship would have been confronted with this "alternate fact".

The problem is the council meetings are 5-8 hours long. Who has the patience to sit all day and then try to cross reference everything said against all of the other forms of PR that the Mayor's 12 full time staff and COS come up with.

Another case in point was a PR from City Hall yesterday that claimed that  “Council has managed to eliminate the projected 2020 deficit and leave an additional $17.6 million in reserves  this will keep our reserves healthy because we don’t know how long this pandemic is going to last,” said Mayor Lisa Helps

That statement of course is a farce unless you believe that adding is the same thing as taking away. Council took $17.5M from reserves in order to offset the $17.5 million they are short on revenue (and even that didn't cover the estimated $2.25M in extra costs / lost income they are now projecting. This one should have been a no brainer for the MSM though unless they didn't see the NR until after their deadlines.

• Nparker and rmpeers like this

#5886 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 05:21 PM

I watched Helps' presser yesterday on facebook where she responded to a question from CTV regarding the two positions Victoria council approved for their buddies in diversity and inclusion. You can watch the response yourself at 13:00 but Helps makes it clear that she didn't support the motion and felt that it was more important to balance the budget. https://www.facebook...315938279620919

I thought to myself wow, that doesn't sound like Lisa Helps at all. Not wanting to hire activists to further her agenda, concern for how much things cost. I wonder how the conversation at the COTW meeting really went.

Well at 2:50 you can hear for yourself. Technically Mayor Helps was not lying, she did vote against hiring two people. She voted against the motion though because she wanted to pre-approve hiring five people into the roles.
https://pub-victoria...85-9e9016c6a857

Funny how she left that part out of the response to CTV.

Wow. Even by her standards of careful deception, this one surprised me a little.

Edited by rmpeers, 08 August 2020 - 05:21 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#5887 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 05:24 PM

Well, the Times Colonist has evidently been functioning as the mayor's answer to Fox News for some time, with that recent editorial being the most shameless sucking up yet.

At least Stirling and occasionally Focus mag try to hold her to account.
  • Nparker, rjag, GaryRanson and 3 others like this

#5888 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:26 PM

Wow. Even by her standards of careful deception, this one surprised me a little.

Not me. She has mastered the art of double speak. Despicable.
  • Nparker, mbjj and pennymurphy2000 like this

#5889 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:11 AM

Here's the thing about Helps & Co. they're all in an age group that is tech savvy.  They are social media natives and they effectively use that environment to their advantage.  Now, they've bungled it to the point where what would be considered stodgy old school conservatism is finding traction with a large number of people who are contemporaries to Helps & Co. In other words, the scales are being balanced, and more are willing to call out the willful gaslighting that is occurring on line.  More are willing to engage in the same environment with opposing viewpoints.  The tell is, how quickly and who resorts to a personal attack on the argument being made.  They did it with Hammond and New Council, but now two more years have passed, and those who really do not wish to see another TV person at that table, need to come to bat for the alternative (which as far as I can tell, is Stephen Andrew) when they see personal attacks being made.   

• Nparker, rjag, grantpalin and 1 other like this

#5890 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:39 AM

Crazy. As soon as she is challenged on a decision, she makes a point of claiming that she had nothing to do with it ("I voted against the motion, you need to talk to the other 6 who voted in favour"). At the same time she is advocating for a position that is far more expensive and which will cost taxpayers far more money (ie 5 positions).

One would think that the undercarriage of the Mayor Helps bus must be full by now!

I notice that the new positions pay $106K a year plus benefits (ie closer to $120K). Are there that many local Green and NDP politicians with precariously employed kids?

Edited by spanky123, 09 August 2020 - 10:40 AM.

• grantpalin, Victoria Watcher and Spy Black like this

#5891 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 12:03 PM

Here's the thing about Helps & Co. they're all in an age group that is tech savvy. They are social media natives and they effectively use that environment to their advantage. Now, they've bungled it to the point where what would be considered stodgy old school conservatism is finding traction with a large number of people who are contemporaries to Helps & Co. In other words, the scales are being balanced, and more are willing to call out the willful gaslighting that is occurring on line. More are willing to engage in the same environment with opposing viewpoints. The tell is, how quickly and who resorts to a personal attack on the argument being made. They did it with Hammond and New Council, but now two more years have passed, and those who really do not wish to see another TV person at that table, need to come to bat for the alternative (which as far as I can tell, is Stephen Andrew) when they see personal attacks being made.

Yes, interesting that when people push back or call them out in a reasonable way, they either close their Twitter account (Helps, Isitt) or block you (Dubow). The rest seem to either not tweet at all or just avoid any controversial issues.

But I do get a sense that the more obvious mistruths (eg, "I had to build a tent city in Beacon Hill Park, Dr. Henry told me to") are losing traction, as more and more people are calling out the falsehoods.

Agree that when their trolls inevitably go after the most high-profile byelection alternative candidate, its important to call them out.
  • Spy Black likes this

#5892 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:33 PM

over the weekend there was multiple stabbing incidents, Helps was interviewed since they took place and were connected with the every growing issues at the centennial square tent city, i will say i did notice she ONLY did the interview with Chek news, CTV did not have an interview with her (i found that odd they are located just across the street) and with how she worded what she said it really did sound like she was passing the buck "oh, i'm here every day all day i do see what's going on... it's not the homeless living living here that's the problem..."  it's almost like she's trying to make it sound that it's no big deal 2 people were stabbed one with life threatening injuries right outside her window

• Spy Black likes this

#5893 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:20 PM

Grrr.... did she try to accuse the « housed » residents of Victoria? That’s usually the activists’ modus operandi. During the court house tent city we heard constantly how the squatters were terrified of the residents even though there was not a single incident that way but MANY incidents of squatters robbing/assaulting/harassing local residents. No media ever questioned that rhetoric.
  • Nparker, rmpeers and Spy Black like this

#5894 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,028 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 02:44 AM

she already recently said it’s not the homeless but those who prey on them causing the troubles.

#5895 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,749 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:35 AM

she already recently said it’s not the homeless but those who prey on them causing the troubles.

She should know, since no one preys on the homeless like Her Worseship.
  • Spy Black likes this

#5896 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:18 PM

Okay, which one of you created a Ben Isitt parody twitter account??

The banner image is genius.

@ben_isitt

Edited by rmpeers, 11 August 2020 - 12:22 PM.

• rjag and mbjj like this

#5897 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,749 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:38 PM

Okay, which one of you created a Ben Isitt parody twitter account?? The banner image is genius...

Screen snip for those of us without Twitter...?

#5898 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:45 PM

Screen snip for those of us without Twitter...?

Annotation 2020-08-11 134436.jpg

• Nparker, rjag, kjf and 1 other like this

#5899 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,749 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:50 PM

Is it just a coincidence that comrade Ben is the furthest to the left in the image?

• rjag, spanky123, GaryRanson and 4 others like this

#5900 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 05:18 PM

Is it just a coincidence that comrade Ben is the furthest to the left in the image?

Maybe we should hold a news conference and ask comrade Ben why we shouldn’t defund city council . After all the majority of people don’t feel safe in our own community. 

• Nparker, A Girl is No one, Barrrister and 1 other like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users