Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#7621 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 11:53 AM

I predict this will be, if not already, the rebrand of TV, made up of the same, incestuous, related parties.

TV has a stink now that includes an embarrassing loss.

TV = Victoria

GVAT = CRD

#7622 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 16 January 2021 - 12:08 PM

A reminder how organized TV and its supporters are.

In the financial report going to council next week, staff report that 75% of written budget feedback they received requests that the police budget be frozen and funds instead be given to affordable housing and addiction outreach.

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=62853

Want to bet that new insight is used to defeat Manak's request for more money next week?

Our council loves, and is expert at, getting the answers they want. They seem to think this is leadership:

1. Create a volunteer survey and tell us it's volunteer to save money and resources.
  2. Get the answers they were looking for. (Ignore, suppress, discredit anything inconsistent)
  3. Crow about doing the work of the righteous with the support of the community.

I hear so many people talk about this pattern at cocktail parties, work meetings, cultural events and wonder,

Is being a city councillor so isolated, artificial, and self-perpetuating that they don't know, or don't care, that we all see this silliness?

Do they not see that every one of these stupid decisions is just another reason to want to tear it all down?

Do they not have the maturity or experience to know that you can get so much more done when you have credibility outside your tribe? (they seem to have less every week.)

I asked a councillor recently about what I see as a credibility problem with the "Point in Time Count." My concern was that, despite having been homeless myself, I ignore it now as a waste of time. At first I couldn't believe the messages being promoted from this count (the idea that, with the most survivable climate in Canada, we don't have migration here is just a cynical joke that everyone who's been homeless knows isn't true.) Now I just ignore it as a partisan tool, conducted by the very people who benefit from more resources, and full of awkwardly manipulated stats.

Best this councillor could say was that they were not concerned about the stats but that we have a problem today. Very convenient and completely misses the point. The point is a tragic, missed opportunity for credible information that more people would like to talk about, in order to understand causes and solutions. We're not grownup enough for that here, I guess, so people just turn away.

Like all immature leadership, expediency is chosen over truth, good governance, the effort it takes to maintain long-term credibility. I say immature because this is the tragic difference between self-interest and a more enlightened self-interest. Enlightened self-interest searches for the truth, no matter how difficult, acknowledges it and works within the ambiguity, knowing the long-term relationship with the community is paramount to make long-term change successful.

Our council has no idea about this or just doesn't care. In either case, they disqualify themselves as leaders and, instead, to me, they are just temporary partisans, advancing their arrogant agenda, while doing and saying anything to keep the howling to a minimum.

They deserve every angry email (not every hateful, personal or violent one!) and, like Ben, will remain mystified when the "city has lost it's kindness." 

• Nparker, A Girl is No one and Teardrop like this

#7623 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 12:10 PM

TV = Victoria

GVAT = CRD

next, the universe!

#7624 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:14 PM

[Council} will remain mystified when the "city has lost it's kindness." 

If the CoV council believes what TV promotes is kindness, they are truly a lost cause.

• Love the rock, A Girl is No one and Stephen James like this

#7625 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:56 AM

If the CoV council believes what TV promotes is kindness, they are truly a lost cause.

Kindness for a few.

Condescension, invalidation, ridicule, insults, for everyone else.

... and M Helps sends letters telling us how to feel, because that's what we were waiting to hear from her.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#7626 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 11:51 AM

I would even question the kindness for a few portion. It’s obvious that what she is pushing is not helping those few but rather really harming the over the long run. I think the kindness is more self serving than anything else.
  • TwilightZoneVictoria likes this

#7627 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 12:14 PM

Her Worseship doesn't have a selfless bone in her body.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#7628 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 12:16 PM

She is supporting the hundreds or perhaps a couple of thousand who work in the poverty pimp industry (not to mention the drug dealers). It would be interesting to know how many people are now employed in the poverty industry through all the agencies and government offices.

Edited by Barrrister, 18 January 2021 - 12:18 PM.

#7629 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 18 January 2021 - 01:41 PM

Dubow has just tweeted that he did not support increasing the police salary budget since he sees public budgets as "moral documents". This is all coming from one unable to fulfill his own moral responsibility to set an example that public health advice should be followed.

• Nparker, Love the rock, mbjj and 6 others like this

#7630 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 01:59 PM

Dubow has just tweeted that he did not support increasing the police salary budget since he sees public budgets as "moral documents". This is all coming from one unable to fulfill his own moral responsibility to set an example that public health advice should be followed.

It’s OK.  He sees public health rules as “metaphysical propositions.”

• Nparker, Love the rock, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#7631 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 02:07 PM

My personal pronoun for Dudow is Dishonest Idiot. I have decided that I get to pick my personal pronoun for other people. They can use whatever they want for themselves,

• Nparker, Love the rock, Victoria Watcher and 2 others like this

#7632 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:05 PM

Dubow has just tweeted that he did not support increasing the police salary budget since he sees public budgets as "moral documents". ..

The irony of this statement is astounding.

#7633 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:39 PM

The irony of this statement is astounding.

Send that doofus out on night patrol. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#7634 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:48 PM

Why do they need to use Nation Builder for their website? Just looks like another political website using poltical data gathering tools to gather lists of supporters. Churches aren't supposed to be part of that are they?

Is James Bay United Church listed there? That would make it look extra shady considering their recent involvement with the community tent and suggesting Red Cedar take it over (they were not the successful applicants of that bid)

i'm not sure they need the money directly.  but you can bet they expect their members to get the jobs provided.  so indirectly they get more union dues money.

which is quite different than the faith-based programs that often used mostly volunteer or certainly non-union labour.

#7635 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:53 PM

Totalitarian social conservatives see public policy as "moral documents" too. 

He doesn't live in the city he's moral-ing about.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#7636 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:55 PM

https://twitter.com/...261541031530496

This motion has just been defeated. I second & supported this motion because I see public budgets as moral documents. And also the safest communities are not those with the most police. They are the ones with the most resources. Police do not equal public and community safety.

#7637 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 04:37 PM

Does anyone know how each councillor voted on this motion?

#7638 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 04:46 PM

Send that doofus out on night patrol. 

Send Dubow out for a night shift with a social worker as his partner. 

Edited by Love the rock, 18 January 2021 - 04:51 PM.

• mbjj likes this

#7639 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 04:50 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen.... let’s give a great big hand for the demise of law and order in the City of Victoria.

Last one out please shut off the light.
  • Mike K., Nparker, Love the rock and 5 others like this

#7640 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 04:55 PM

And also the safest communities are not those with the most police. They are the ones with the most resources. Police do not equal public and community safety.

i think the safest communities are the ones where you know that police are not far away.  

if a bar fight starts and the staff or customers call the cops and there is a very high probability that a cop is there is 4 minutes or less that's good.  or if you see a prowler and call cops and a cop is there is 3 minutes that's good.  that kind of thing deters crime.  and makes communities safe.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 January 2021 - 04:56 PM.

• A Girl is No one, Barrrister and Teardrop like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users